Coronavirus

Mito Man

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Mito Man »

McSwede wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:27 pm
Zonda_ wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:15 am Had a look at stock levels in our local Sainsburys yesterday and everything was normal. Northerners don't panic.
I did a big shop at Morrisons yesterday with no problems then realised I'd forgotten bog roll and goats milk so called in at a Booths today and they had plenty of everything. Didn't notice anyone buying shit loads of stuff either.
You’re disgusting. :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Wonder if we will get petrol below £1 a litre with the way oil is heading.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Broccers wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:56 am Some serious carnage on the markets - time to worry folks.
I’ve had a 10% wage cut effectively as the Norwegian Krone went from 11.8 to the pound to 12.6.

Luckily I have t held most of my salary back in the hope the exchange rate improves, oh no :roll:

Dave!
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

A good day to put money into a FTSE tracker?
Left over crest; tightens.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:45 pm
Zonda_ wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:15 am Had a look at stock levels in our local Sainsburys yesterday and everything was normal. Northerners don't panic.
I did a big shop at Morrisons yesterday with no problems then realised I'd forgotten bog roll and goats milk so called in at a Booths today and they had plenty of everything. Didn't notice anyone buying shit loads of stuff either.
Not quite sure why you'd draw that conclusion? 🙄
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

McSwede wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:01 am

Because goat milk is teh nasty!
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Broccers wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:05 pm https://www.cityindex.co.uk/demo-account/

Good luck. It's easy to lose a fortune.
Just signed up, simple and slick front-end. I've played with other trading platforms before but never been brave enough to put my own money in. I did make a quick imaginary 50 squid on a few gbp/eur ticks :lol:
Simon

Post by Simon »

Back to Covid-19, this is all being mis-reported isn't it?

People keep comparing the number of deaths against the number of cases, but a case isn't closed until someone either dies or recovers. Looking at here at the time of writing there are 3,841 deaths and 62,109 recovered. Those are the only 2 numbers I'm concerned about. You either die or recover. I'm not concerning myself with the total case count, which is going up rapidly.

So, 100*(3841/(3841+62109))=5.82%. So based on that, this is bad.

And generally speaking, the older you are the more you are likely to die. I wonder if this could be a lot worse that the media are imagining. Could we see a noticeable effect on the number of OAPs across the world?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Simon wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:55 am Back to Covid-19, this is all being mis-reported isn't it?

People keep comparing the number of deaths against the number of cases, but a case isn't closed until someone either dies or recovers. Looking at here at the time of writing there are 3,841 deaths and 62,109 recovered. Those are the only 2 numbers I'm concerned about. You either die or recover. I'm not concerning myself with the total case count, which is going up rapidly.

So, 100*(3841/(3841+62109))=5.82%. So based on that, this is bad.

And generally speaking, the older you are the more you are likely to die. I wonder if this could be a lot worse that the media are imagining. Could we see a noticeable effect on the number of OAPs across the world?
I mostly agree with you, but I also wonder how many people have had it and recovered without it ever being reported.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Simon

Post by Simon »

Yes, this is a fair point. Potentially if you ever get it but only mildly or just put it down to a.n.other cold or flu bug without reporting it that would shift the numbers. The unanswerable question therefore is how many people get it and don't report it?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
mik

Post by mik »

ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

There's been some interesting discussions on twitter recently about how badly prepared America is for dealing with an event like this.

Between a work force who can't afford to miss work or go to a doctor and a health care system that's not equipped to efficiently immunise people en masse, they could be in for a bad time over there.
An absolute unit
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Family friend flew to Kuwait for work yesterday from Heathrow and has to spend 2 weeks in quarantine. The funny thing is that Kuwaiti locals are exempt from it. Don’t think they understand how it works.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:06 am
McSwede wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:01 am

Because goat milk is teh nasty!
Ah. It's for my daughter. Cows milk gives her really dry skin and goats milk doesn't. I think it's fine and sometime use it for my coffee machine.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:32 pm There's been some interesting discussions on twitter recently about how badly prepared America is for dealing with an event like this.

Between a work force who can't afford to miss work or go to a doctor and a health care system that's not equipped to efficiently immunise people en masse, they could be in for a bad time over there.
We were talking about exactly this last night. I think they're fvcked. And that's before they start shooting each other for bog roll and the like.

I wondered, if they get it especially bad, whether it might be the catalyst for at least introducing free emergency health treatment.

Might not do Trump any favours in Oct either if half his voters have carked it.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Nothing will change in America. If there’s one thing that’s guaranteed it’s that they never learn.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:50 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:32 pm There's been some interesting discussions on twitter recently about how badly prepared America is for dealing with an event like this.

We were talking about exactly this last night. I think they're fvcked. And that's before they start shooting each other for bog roll and the like.

I wondered, if they get it especially bad, whether it might be the catalyst for at least introducing free emergency health treatment.

Might not do Trump any favours in Oct either if half his voters have carked it.
I thought the US did have free emergency rooms?

Just checked, looks like I was mixing up Medicaid and Non Profit hospitals with free ER. Bloody hell. And we are sinking towards that through Tory policy fucking the NHS.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:58 pm Wonder if we will get petrol below £1 a litre with the way oil is heading.
I can answer that for you. No we won’t. Ever
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Gavin wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:04 pm And we are sinking towards that through Tory policy fucking the NHS.
No we aren't. Are you getting mixed up with the extensive privatisation that occured under New Labour?
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

jamcg wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:49 pm
Mito Man wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:58 pm Wonder if we will get petrol below £1 a litre with the way oil is heading.
I can answer that for you. No we won’t. Ever
I think the tax is over a pound a litre, or really not far off it anyway.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace