Your fleet running reports

Beany

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Beany »

Car collected at 1615hrs

Hopefully get it back with no locking wheelnuts and fresh rubber, tomorrow afternoon.

What a fucking palava.
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

Service parts collected for the Twingo. Spark plugs had to be fancy ones at £16.00 each didn't they! Cambelt kit, aux belt, aux belt idler pulley, oil and fuel filter, 5ltrs of oil was £278.00.

I just have to shave my hands down, chop a few fingers off and dislocate my elbow to fit it all.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Front sump guard fitted to the Fabia ahead of forthcoming targa rally.

Unfortunately I went for a test drive and forgot to shut the bonnet down. As I accelerated up a bit of local B road, this happened.
Image.

I was able to stop in a straight line, undoubtedly to the relief of the motorbike and cars coming the other way.

It also resulted in this

So I probably now need a new bonnet and hinges, as well as a screen. And naturally my motorsport insurance excludes windscreen cover.
Arse.
Left over crest; tightens.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Jon, step away from the tools
Beany

Post by Beany »

That's the sort of silly mistake I'd make - be proud 8-)

Got the car back, they busted off the locking nuts but didn't replace them....insert big sigh here.

Also thought I had a sticking caliper before, but the car not being run for a couple of days and getting a film of rust on the disks confirms it - definitely need to ID that and do, I guess, a caliper rebuild? They're just MSport calipers, nothing weird like Alcons so that should be a fairly simple job with hand tools, a cheap rebuild kit, and some common sense I expect.

At least it's payday tomorrow.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Rich B wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:38 pm Jon, step away from the tools
That! Bloody hell
How about not having a sig at all?
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406 replica

Post by Sundayjumper »

Faaaaaccck Jon. I imagine that's utterly terrifying.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Beany wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:44 pm Got the car back, they busted off the locking nuts but didn't replace them....insert big sigh here.
If they're std BMW fitment I've almost certainly got a spare set here you can have gratis, either locking or plain.
mik

Post by mik »

Beany - you have an opportunity to get your hands on Steve’s nuts!
Beany

Post by Beany »

mik wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:19 pm Beany - you have an opportunity to get your hands on Steve’s nuts!
Oh goodness.

I'll see how much they cost - if I can get three, same day, from the local BMW dealership for pennies, then that's probably easier :)
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Beany wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:11 pm
mik wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:19 pm Beany - you have an opportunity to get your hands on Steve’s nuts!
Oh goodness.

I'll see how much they cost - if I can get three, same day, from the local BMW dealership for pennies, then that's probably easier :)
Three of Steve's nuts from a local dealer?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Beany

Post by Beany »

He does get around....
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Rich B wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:38 pm Jon, step away from the tools
:D I have since changed the wheels for white ones (faster) and nothing, this time, exploded. Obviously not driven anywhere though, so you never know.

Hinges on order from eBay. Windscreen being replaced next week (£250 - ouch - but Autoglass wanted over £500). Local garage can fit the hinges and hopefully massage the bonnet if required.
Left over crest; tightens.
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

JonMad wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:57 pm

:D I have since changed the wheels for white ones (faster) and nothing, this time, exploded. Obviously not driven anywhere though, so you never know.

Hinges on order from eBay. Windscreen being replaced next week (£250 - ouch - but Autoglass wanted over £500). Local garage can fit the hinges and hopefully massage the bonnet if required.
Don't forget £5.99 for a roll of gaffer tape.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
mik

Post by mik »

Beany wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:31 pm He does get around....
I’ll have a pint of Estrella please @Sundayjumper 8-)
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

I have to do my chores.

What chores ?

I'll have a pint please.

Etc. :D
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Jon, back in 1996 when I bought my Scirocco a chap I knew told me about test driving a similar Scirocco down the A3 near New Malden. He'd looked at the engine before test driving it, the dealer had shut the bonnet and it clearly hadn't secured because it too flipped open on the A3. He stopped safely but the bonnet bent round over the roof and similarly smashed windscreen. He didn't buy it :lol:
John

Post by John »

Beany wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:44 pm
Also thought I had a sticking caliper before, but the car not being run for a couple of days and getting a film of rust on the disks confirms it - definitely need to ID that and do, I guess, a caliper rebuild? They're just MSport calipers, nothing weird like Alcons so that should be a fairly simple job with hand tools, a cheap rebuild kit, and some common sense I expect.
Check the slide pins first as they often seize.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Every bmw I’ve had has had at least one sticky calliper, and I’ve never know a sticky pin. Despite what many mechanics will say, the stainless pins on BMWs should always be fitted dry.

I actually rebuilt a front calliper on the compact a couple of days ago. I’d freed it up a few times but had started coming back more regularly.

Didn’t even bother taking the calliper off the car,

That’ll be why

Think the rebuild kit - piston, seal, dust cover, slider bushes and nipples, for all four callipers, was about £50. Given warmer weather I would have taken it off and cleaned and painted it, but just wanted it back together and working.
Cheers, Harry
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Pins are worth a look, as someone may have used lube in the past which may have gummed up. You’ll need a 7mm socket / bit though which most standard kits don’t contain.
Cheers, Harry