Don't watch the World Cup!!! Boycott it!! Um... why?

Swervin_Mervin

Re: Don't watch the World Cup!!! Boycott it!! Um... why?

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

duncs500 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:13 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:03 pm
duncs500 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:09 pm Glad Argentina won it, Messi is the greatest ever and not having a WC left undesirable question marks. We'll never know if he could do it on a wet Tuesday night in Stoke, but I'm pretty sure he could. :lol:
They deserved to win it from what I saw from the highlights. But I'm still not having Messi as the GOAT. That debate will rage forever though.
Surely now it's only a debate between Man United fans and everyone else?
Nah. Totally depends on what your definition of a great footballer is. He's undoubtedly very, very gifted in terms of pure raw talent, and if that was the sole measure then fair enough I'd agree. But he can spend a lot of time doing SFA, and he certainly doesn't get stuck in when the tide's against his team. You only have to look at this score rate per WC game to see he's way off many of those around him at only 13 in 26 games.

FWIW I wouldn't say Ronaldo (Por) was the GOAT either, although he should serve as a lesson to footballers in general of just how much working your arse off can pay off.

Pirlo, Modric, Zidane I hold in higher esteem. To name but a few. Mbappe's obviously one to watch as well - he's only 1 WC goal shy of Messi and he's only 23 (rate of 0.86/game - same as Pele).
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Mbappé is the best player currently playing and in due course, will no doubt start to feature in the all time best debate.

But you are correct about the “Best” being subjective. In my opinion, Messi is the most gifted in terms of a footballer and I’ve seen him do things with a ball that nobody else could do. (Oh Vicar!! :lol: ) Is that the best ? Who knows. I’m just glad I got to see him play. Barcelona v Man City in the champions league

Fwiw my top 10 are:

1. Messi
2. Maradona
3. Ronaldo CR7
4. Pele
5. Cruyff
6. Zidane
7. Ronaldo R9
8. Pirlo
9. Ronaldinho
10. Inesta

But I’ll change 6 to 10 next time I do it… :lol:
Last edited by dinny_g on Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I've never really watched much of Pele or Maradona apart from their highlight reels, so it doesn't feel right to put them on any list. Of the players I've watched:

1.) Messi
2.) R9
3.) CR7
4.) Zidane
5.) Ronaldinho

If you're taking about in their pomp, I think Ronaldinho would probably be knocking on Messi's door for top spot, there was a time at Barca when he was completely unplayable. Couldn't sustain it though, that's what makes Messi and CR7 so compelling, their ability to stay at the top for so long.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

dinny_g wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:57 am Gary Neville ???

Tone deaf at best...
Gary Neville's Hotel are advertising for Jobs paying minimum wage only... Hypocrite much ??? :roll:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:16 am
dinny_g wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:57 am Gary Neville ???

Tone deaf at best...
Gary Neville's Hotel are advertising for Jobs paying minimum wage only... Hypocrite much ??? :roll:
He'll make a great politician. He's well in with Burnham and Sir Richard Leese so that tells you all you need to know.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Absolutely - blind to his own bluster...

He'll be PM within 5 years... :lol: