M3 Touring

Wilspeed

Re: M3 Touring

Post by Wilspeed »

Ascender wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:46 am
Wilspeed wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:22 am
Ascender wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:28 pm Just as I'm starting to wonder if its going to be 2024 for a car based on current posts-of-doom from the Facebook group, I've got a confirmed build slot of week 8 next February. Not sure how long it takes to actually build and get to me, but that's a pleasant surprise so guess I need to pick a colour soon-ish...
That's great news buddy!
Thanks! I've been waiting for this car since the M5 Touring went...

Have finalised my order and despite much to'ing and fro'ing about colours and an individual colour, I've stuck with the dark blue as I'm wanting something a bit subtle and have always liked that colour for estates. I did think about the Mexico/Riviera blue thing but at 5K, a 6 month delay and the fact I'm nearly 50.... meant I'm going for the old man colour.

It's booked-in with a local company to get the vulnerable bits PPF'd and a ceramic coating done in March.
All this sounds very reasonable Sir.

Meanwhile, I've changed my order form Sapphire to Carbon black. Stay tuned for further updates folks ;)
Cunt.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Black looks stunning on it @Wilspeed... are you tempted by the bling BMW Performance alloys in frozen gold?
Cheers,

Mike.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Oh just read about these orders. Fantastic choices 8-) 8-)
Wilspeed

Post by Wilspeed »

Ascender wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:01 pm Black looks stunning on it @Wilspeed... are you tempted by the bling BMW Performance alloys in frozen gold?
In a word, nein. I’m too old for that shit. ;)
Cunt.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Cheers,

Ian
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Brooklyn grey please.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Skyscraper Grey is rather nice and almost makes black wheels look ok.

ETA: hang on, there are two different colours captioned as Skyscraper Grey; the second looks like Dravit. Brooklyn Grey is in there twice but appears to be the same colour both times. Still a bit of a fuck up 😂
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I think all those colours look good to be fair.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Jobbo wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:43 pm Skyscraper Grey is rather nice and almost makes black wheels look ok.

ETA: hang on, there are two different colours captioned as Skyscraper Grey; the second looks like Dravit. Brooklyn Grey is in there twice but appears to be the same colour both times. Still a bit of a fuck up 😂
I've seen it twice and I'm still confused. Skyscraper Grey (what a fucking terrible name) looks the best of the lot....the first time it appears.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Are carbon black and sapphire black “individual special” colours now? I swear they were the generic metallic option on all 5/7/X models before.
How about not having a sig at all?
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Latest issue of Car has a feature on the new (LCI) Alpina B3 Touring

It looked great, caked in muck and salt from the road

Think I may prefer one of these over the M3 Touring

It's certainly not as ugly!

Think it would be a much better daily driver...
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

DaveE wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:11 pmnew (LCI) Alpina B3 Touring

Think it would be a much better daily driver...
why?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I don’t know about modern Alpina but historically they have always managed to have a better ride. It depends on what the M3 touring rides like.

Dave!
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:39 pm Are carbon black and sapphire black “individual special” colours now? I swear they were the generic metallic option on all 5/7/X models before.
Sapphire is a standard no-cost option for the Touring, Carbon is individual now. They seem to chop and change per model and it also varies per territory which is interesting.

The Alpina B3 is a nice looking car, much more subtle I guess, but just not for me.
Last edited by Ascender on Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

Mike.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

V8Granite wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:53 am I don’t know about modern Alpina but historically they have always managed to have a better ride. It depends on what the M3 touring rides like.

Dave!
So might be a tiny bit better if you have piles.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

And ever since adaptive dampers have been around they're been pretty obsolete in that regard. Want a car which costs pretty much the same but is worse in every other metric apart being from being more unique as a result of poor sales? And only has a 2 year guarantee? Well sign me up :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:03 am And ever since adaptive dampers have been around they're been pretty obsolete in that regard. Want a car which costs pretty much the same but is worse in every other metric apart being from being more unique as a result of poor sales? And only has a 2 year guarantee? Well sign me up :lol:
yeah, but my piles!
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I guess if you just don't like the look of the BMW Touring you could go for the Alpina? Its priced pretty much the same and I guess will be a bit softer in its approach to everything (turn-in, braking, steering etc), so maybe if that's what you're looking for its a better option? Not sure about the ride given the adaptive dampers on the M3.

They are sometimes subtle to the point of not being able to tell they're anything other than a normal BM with bits on. But maybe that's the point? I've always thought they're quite nice, but never enough to actually buy one. They're almost curiosities.
Cheers,

Mike.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Rich B wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:52 am
V8Granite wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:53 am I don’t know about modern Alpina but historically they have always managed to have a better ride. It depends on what the M3 touring rides like.

Dave!
I’ve driven quite a few cars that simply don’t work on fenland roads, the worst being a BMW 120d M, I bounced my head off the roof.

Audi S5 was another.

The piles are more of a pain on cattle grids.

Dave!
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

V8Granite wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:06 pm
Rich B wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:52 am

Dave!
I’ve driven quite a few cars that simply don’t work on fenland roads, the worst being a BMW 120d M, I bounced my head off the roof.

Audi S5 was another.

The piles are more of a pain on cattle grids.

Dave!
my M2 is surely firmer than a 120d - I've not had any issues with comfort!