Your fleet running reports

JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by JonMad »

Good news. My ABC and TSC dashboard lights have all cleared themselves and haven’t returned (apart from when I turn the TC off, obvs). Sadly I didn't get to try out @Sundayjumper's new gadget. I'm sure there'll be an opportunity in future.

Windows continue not to work - damp related. Odd power steering issue continues to happen - come to a stop and turn the steering wheel at idle and the power steering cuts out. Today it actually cut the engine completely. Restarting on the key it was fine.
Left over crest; tightens.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

How old is it? Electric or hydraulic power steering?
Cheers, Harry
mik

Post by mik »

Pinhole / perishing vac pipe? So at low rpm there isn’t enough to provide assistance - as rpm rises there is enough to overcome the leak. :?:
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

2006 model. Looks like it could be lots of things.

I know my battery isn't the best so that might be a good place as any to start.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406 replica

Post by Sundayjumper »

I didn’t realise it was an electric jobbie. Crusty wiring sounds quite possible. You replaced the battery not so long ago didn’t you ?
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

Never replaced the battery, just got a new CTek charger for it :)
John

Post by John »

When I was driving home last night either a can or plastic bottle blew into the road straight under my front drivers side tyre followed by the rear one. I didn’t think much of it at the time but when I got home the rear tyre looked to have around 10psi in it, not a peep out of the tyre pressure monitoring system either.

The rears were the original Continental winter tyres and were showing a few cracks in the tread so I’ve decided to fit a new pair. It has Pirelli Cinturato all seasons on the front so another pair ordered for £164 fitted.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Had a loverly weekend driving around lincolnshire. Drove passed this, was shut, looks quite interesting for 4 quids :lol:

Anyone been?
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractio ... gland.html
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Gavster wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:21 pm BMW have just let me know that one of my driveshafts is hanging out :shock:

There was no oil in the diff :lol:

The friendly neighbour garage said they checked with ECP for diff oil for this car (2014 4-series) and it's only available from BMW and costs £100, which sounds like nonsense to me.

There must be other oils that can be used which aren't gonna cost me a ton? Any ideas?
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Any kind of 75w80, 75w90 should do the trick. It’s not going to be an LSD in there.

Second opinion from @integrale_evo ?
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Gavster wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:52 am
Gavster wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:21 pm BMW have just let me know that one of my driveshafts is hanging out :shock:

There was no oil in the diff :lol:

The friendly neighbour garage said they checked with ECP for diff oil for this car (2014 4-series) and it's only available from BMW and costs £100, which sounds like nonsense to me.

There must be other oils that can be used which aren't gonna cost me a ton? Any ideas?
https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-193395-feb ... Gear%20Oil

Maybe, ECP also stock redline MT-5 to the same specs.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:14 am Any kind of 75w80, 75w90 should do the trick. It’s not going to be an LSD in there.

Second opinion from @integrale_evo ?
Thanks!

@drcarlos That looks spot-on :)
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I bet the official oil is some unicorn piss sealed for life stuff and any standard off the shelf 75w gl5 will do the job perfectly fine for longer than you’re ever likely to own the car for.

It’s not going to have a friction plate lsd, and it’s not going to spend its life doing trackdays and drift days so I’d just use any bog standard branded gear oil.
Cheers, Harry
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

Got my car back from Nottingham Porsche with the Tracker/monitor working again. (Failed 3 times in the first year, so fingers crossed it stays fixed this time). Still, they did give it a complementary valet inside and out, detailing the brake callipers nicely.
mik

Post by mik »

PaulJ wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:24 pm Got my car back from Nottingham Porsche with the Tracker/monitor working again. (Failed 3 times in the first year, so fingers crossed it stays fixed this time). Still, they did give it a complementary valet inside and out, detailing the brake callipers nicely.
I didn’t know Trackers even had brake callipers. Sneaky tech!
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Well. iCarsoft.

I sent an enquiry to their email support about the service reset on the Cayenne, and got what seemed like a generic reply asking me to send them the data log from the scanner. The scanner has the ability to send those data logs directly when back indoors and connected to wifi, so that's easy enough to do. I sent it Tuesday evening and assumed it would go into some kind of development black hole. Not so !

This morning I had a reply from a real person, along with a software patch to try out :o

So not only did someone look at the log I sent in, pretty much straight away, they thought about it, did something about it, and got back to me all within a couple of days. This is NOT the level of customer support I was expecting.

But don't worry Jobbo, it still doesn't work :lol: It does however give me some confidence that they want it to work, and care about it.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Appreciate the update, SJ :D

Surely there's another way to reset the service indicator? Seem to be quite a few results if you google it. I didn't think this sort of thing required specific software because that restricts servicing at small garages.
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

mik wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:26 pm
PaulJ wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:24 pm Got my car back from Nottingham Porsche with the Tracker/monitor working again. (Failed 3 times in the first year, so fingers crossed it stays fixed this time). Still, they did give it a complementary valet inside and out, detailing the brake callipers nicely.
Yup. They don't guarantee to stop thefts, but they sure can slow them down. :)
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

PaulJ wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:13 pm
mik wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:26 pm
Yup. They don't guarantee to stop thefts, but they sure can slow them down. :)
Would genuinely work a million times better if they could connect the trackers to the electronic handbrakes on most cars...
How about not having a sig at all?
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:10 pm Surely there's another way to reset the service indicator? Seem to be quite a few results if you google it. I didn't think this sort of thing required specific software because that restricts servicing at small garages.
Early models, yes, and later models too, but for some reason the 957 is particularly difficult. My Foxwell & Delphi scanners won’t do it either. I’ve seen no explanation why other than “Porsche changed it”.

Edit to add - I've also got two VCDS cables, one genuine and one clone, they'll read a lot of the VW-based modules on the car but won't touch the engine as it's (presumably) all Porsche.