Twitter

Wibblewobblebeepgaggawacka

1. Its time to leave teh Twitter
No votes
2. I’ll stick it out and see what changes
38%
3. It’s blusterpish as usual. It’s not going to change noticeably.
10%
4. I don’t care, I don’t use Twitter.
21%
5. I don’t care.
26%
6. I just like to wash my hair, and go.
No votes
7. I’ve seen a horse fly
No votes
8. I’ve seen a dragon fly
No votes
9. I’ve seen an elephant fly
No votes
10. My old man’s a dustman
5%

Total votes: 39

Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Re: Twitter

Post by Gavster »

Musk laid off 3,700
Zuck has laid off 11,000

Looks like social media tech companies have peaked.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

It’s inevitable that the excessive pay, benefits and bean bags which have typified tech companies will, at some point, come to an end.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

16vCento wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:41 pm Some of the fake ones are superb 😂
I hope someone collates them - it's fun finding them randomly but it would be great to see an archive for posterity after Musk inevitably deletes them all.
Beany

Post by Beany »

drcarlos wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:18 am I love that this fail fast agile car crash is playing out in real life to people that would never normally see it.

A comedy lack of programme/project mgt, testing and change control process.

In small outfits with uncomplicated systems it doesn't produce results that many see or feel.

However you get to the behmoth that is the Twitter and changing something that looks small without checking dependencies and fully testing it you get this kind of result.

This could also be a result of a lack of design docs (I've seen this happen too) too so the people coding these changes have no idea of how it all hangs together.
There's a fair chance that quite a lot of 'litlte tricks' that individually are unimportant, but collectively control large chunks of the infrastructure, live in the heads of some of the staff currently on garden leave.

Also, 'move fast and break things' is what you do in your dev instances where no-one will see it, not on live....
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Gavster wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:54 pm It’s inevitable that the excessive pay, benefits and bean bags which have typified tech companies will, at some point, come to an end.
It's not even like this is the first time this has happened. I look forward to the Web 2.0 and Web 3.0 bubbles collapsing at the same time :lol:
An absolute unit
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Beany wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:31 pm
Also, 'move fast and break things' is what you do in your dev instances where no-one will see it, not on live....
In the world of us sensible infra peeps yes, code devs are quite often not of this mindset.

At a smallscale outfit you can get away with it but I see more of it creeping in now in larger orgs, especially for internal tools. It's just in this case it hugely visible and customer facing.
Beany

Post by Beany »

A nice thread with some of the highlights. And Musk 'crying with laughter emoji x 2' at one of what I suspect would be the larger ad clients (ninetendo) being spoofed on the platform he owns, with the changes he implemented.

Simon

Post by Simon »

Read this and the linked thread from Riana. Musk is gonna kill Twitter.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

:shock: Blimey, thats an interesting read! :o
Beany

Post by Beany »

Here's another one - Musks letter to all staff saying 'remote working ends as of now' (sent at 0239hrs....)

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-mu ... ?r=US&IR=T
Sorry that this is my first email to the whole company, but there is no way to sugarcoat the message.

Frankly, the economic picture ahead is dire, especially for a company like ours that is so dependent on advertising in a challenging economic climate. Moreover, 70% of our advertising is brand, rather than specific performance, which makes us doubly vulnerable!

That is why the priority over the past ten days has been to develop and launch Twitter Blue Verified subscriptions (huge props to the team!). Without significant subscription revenue, there is a good chance Twitter will not survive the upcoming economic downturn. We need roughly half of our revenue to be subscription.

Of course, we will still then be significantly reliant on advertising, so I am spending time with our sales & partnerships teams to ensure that Twitter continues to be appealing to advertisers. This is the Spaces discussion that Robin, Yoel and I hosted today:

[Links to a Twitter Spaces recording called "Elon Q&A: Advertising & the Future."]

The road ahead is arduous and will require intense work to succeed. We are also changing Twitter policy such that remote work is no longer allowed, unless you have a specific exception. Managers will send the exceptions lists to me for review an approval.

Starting tomorrow (Thursday), everyone is required to be in the office for a minimum of 40 hours per week. Obviously, if you are physically unable to travel to an office or have a critical personal obligation, then your absence is understandable.

I look forward to working with you to take Twitter to a whole new level. The potential is truly incredible!

Thanks,
Elon
So that's....only slightly psychotic.
tim

Post by tim »

I recommend watching The Elon Musk Show on iPlayer.

There's a lot of folks throwing around vague unverified information as fact and the inevitable pile-ons, but what a time to be alive on Twitter!
tim

Post by tim »

https://www.theverge.com/2022/11/10/234 ... ng-q-and-a

Read the full transcript, it's very interesting I think.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

He’s already made Twitter more popular than ever before 😂

ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Rubberneckers watching the end.

It must just be Elon and some interns keeping the lights on at this point.
An absolute unit
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

tim wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:09 am https://www.theverge.com/2022/11/10/234 ... ng-q-and-a

Read the full transcript, it's very interesting I think.
That is very interesting, I like the way he works.

It's quite incredible that Elon is getting so much hate. He has taken over from a board/staff of people who had taken Twitter to a place where it is facing $1bn+ in annual losses at the beginning of a recession. He took over from a massive bunch of failures. Yet, people still seem to think Elon is the bad guy, rather than the massively bloated, overstaffed, underperforming group of people that built a failing company.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

tim wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:07 pm I recommend watching The Elon Musk Show on iPlayer.
Thanks, will check it out 👍
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

There are no good guys here, in the battle between social media execs and Musk everyone sucks.
An absolute unit
tim

Post by tim »

I largely think the hate is because these same people wouldn't have the balls to do what he does publically with companies like this. I find it and him really fascinating.

Am also amused/bemused the hate has already started on those with Blue subs. I'd like to see an option to remove the tick, but keep the additional feature set.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Just so I'm clear - he spent $44 billion Dollars on a company who economic picture is, frankly, dire ... :?:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…