Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406 replica

Re: Ukraine

Post by Sundayjumper »

“an army marches on its stomach”
Beany

Post by Beany »

If nothing else, the Ukrainians are master trollers and top tier IRL shitposters.

(No, those signs aren't everywhere, but that one is apparently real, even if it does look a bit like a 'shop, you can tell by the pixels, seen a lot of shoops in my time, etc) - edit: it's a shoop, boo.
Edit:
An interesting aside - let's say it's all propaganda, and that Ukraine is a Nazi state full of evil Slavs waiting to rape our dogs at the first chance etc.

Then they deserve a fucking Oscar - they have
  • Made Putin a borderline international pariah
  • Caused the US to pull together and somewhat offset it's internal political differences - one of Putin's alleged political goals in terms of Western destabilisation
  • Got huge amounts of free armaments and support from pretty much every nation with a modern arms infrastructure who isn't using them all
  • Have made China - fucking China - and Kazakhstan both back away slowly from Putin negate even they think this is a bit mad
  • Are about to cause Russia to be pulled from SWIFT, on top of all the other sanctions
  • Have made their comedian (literally - he was a comedy TV actor) head of state out to be a balls of brass leader who ain't afraid of some commie invader scum
  • Have made the Russian military look pretty incompetent at multiple levels in terms of logistical support and general behaviour
I mean, fair play if they're bully bullshitting, that's one hell of a list of achievements in three days :lol: the US and NATO have struggled to do only a few of those in fifty years.
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:00 pm Recipe ? Polystyrene dissolved in petrol to make a sticky flammable goo, in a glass bottle that will break on impact. Not hugely dissimilar to napalm.
Nip of cooking oil in the top too - stops the flame on the rag accidentally sending the whole thing up in your hand, and makes the splash bigger when it lands.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Beany wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:31 pm If nothing else, the Ukrainians are master trollers and top tier IRL shitposters.

(No, those signs aren't everywhere, but that one is apparently real, even if it does look a bit like a 'shop, you can tell by the pixels, seen a lot of shoops in my time, etc) - edit: it's a shoop, boo.
Edit:
An interesting aside - let's say it's all propaganda, and that Ukraine is a Nazi state full of evil Slavs waiting to rape our dogs at the first chance etc.

Then they deserve a fucking Oscar - they have
  • Made Putin a borderline international pariah
  • Caused the US to pull together and somewhat offset it's internal political differences - one of Putin's alleged political goals in terms of Western destabilisation
  • Got huge amounts of free armaments and support from pretty much every nation with a modern arms infrastructure who isn't using them all
  • Have made China - fucking China - and Kazakhstan both back away slowly from Putin negate even they think this is a bit mad
  • Are about to cause Russia to be pulled from SWIFT, on top of all the other sanctions
  • Have made their comedian (literally - he was a comedy TV actor) head of state out to be a balls of brass leader who ain't afraid of some commie invader scum
  • Have made the Russian military look pretty incompetent at multiple levels in terms of logistical support and general behaviour
I mean, fair play if they're bully bullshitting, that's one hell of a list of achievements in three days :lol: the US and NATO have struggled to do only a few of those in fifty years.
You forgot to mention that their comedian-turned-president is Jewish. If they were indeed Nazis that would seem a rather serious faux pas.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

He also played a fictional president apparently
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I must admit here is an odd feel to the whole thing media coverage wise, some sort of 'Wag the Dog' vibe, but it's probably just on account of the war on Europe being fought in the modern media age.

Absolutely outside of Russia, Ukraine (with the support of the west) are dominating the social media war, and the significance of that can't be underestimated. Probably this is where wars of the future are going to be fought.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

The whole situation has really been hard for the wife to deal with, being Polish it all feels very close to home. She's from a part of Poland that isn't all that far from Ukraine and her family history has a lot of connections to Ukraine. I suppose if you're Polish it's a bit like someone invading Ireland would be for us.
Beany

Post by Beany »

jamcg wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:30 pm He also played a fictional president apparently
Literally what got him into politics, and although he has a law degree, I'm not sure how much he used it.

Gonna have a look into his politics tonight; from what I've seen he seems to be a bit of an earnest populist (as opposed to opportunist, 'grab what you can while saying the right things' populists like Trump, Johnson) but he did recently put the leader of the opposition in prison so that's a bit of a red flag. :lol:

What his interactions are like with some is that more fascist leaning states in the region would likely be pretty telling, but you do have to hold forner Russian satellite States to a different standard to an extent. Although compared to Western politics lately, maybe not that different...
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406 replica

Post by Sundayjumper »

jamcg wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:30 pm He also played a fictional president apparently
A fictional president of Ukraine, no less.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Servant_of_the_People

But to be fair, he’s nailing it as a wartime leader right now.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:23 pm
A fictional president of Ukraine, no less.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Servant_of_the_People

But to be fair, he’s nailing it as a wartime leader right now.
I mean, there's method acting and there's this.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Anonymous managed to crack open what I assume is the IP backend of Russian state TV and started pushing Ukraine footage through it, seeing as Russian state TV are still claiming that the 'limited, special operation' in Ukraine has had zero casualties so far, etc.

They also managed to knock half a dozen Russian state websites off the net earlier today.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Ah, I see the Tories are being Tories, which means completely failing to read the geopolitical room while thinking that they're scoring points on social media.

Very short thread, but basically " if Ukrainian refugees want to come to the UK, the can always gather the paperwork to apply for a seasonal fruit picker job"

Genuinely bonkers that he thought "yes, this. This is the tweet"

Edit - been deleted.... But screenshots last forever

Refugees, come pick fruit

Beany

Post by Beany »

An actual real road sign.

This has, reportedly, been happening around areas of Russian incursion.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Best lines so far

Russian warship, go fuck your self”
From above - “Need a tow… back to Russia” 😂
President to US after they offered to extract him “I need ammunition, not a ride”

Fucking brilliant! 🇺🇦
Cheers,

Ian
Beany

Post by Beany »

Done a bit of reading up on some of those red flags I was talking about earlier, like the leader of the opposition being arrested.

Turns out, the guy basically sold off gas and oil resources to Russian companies, after they annexed Crimea. Can't imagine why the Ukrainian govt would take a dim view of such things :lol: The guy is a massive Putin simp, to the extent that putin is his daughters godfather.

And it's not like he's been put in prison - he's under house arrest while investigations into alleged corruption are ongoing.

By Eastern European, post Soviet bloc standards that's.....

.... That's pretty good, and lines up with the sort of 'useful' populism that Zelensky had been proposing.

I mean, it's not exactly in line with the Western ideals of justice, but I mean, he's not been thrown down a forced labour mine till he disappears.

Zelensky might actually be - good forbid - a useful populist with some sort of ethics :shock: :shock: :shock:
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:12 pm Have you seen the footage of a large group people preparing Molotov cocktails ?

I heard it on the radio, it went something like this;

"When asked what she thought of the situation, one of the housewives said "it's not how I was planning to spend a Saturday afternoon".".
mik

Post by mik »

RobYob

Post by RobYob »

IanF wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:11 pm
Best lines so far

Russian warship, go fuck your self”
From above - “Need a tow… back to Russia” 😂
President to US after they offered to extract him “I need ammunition, not a ride”

Fucking brilliant! 🇺🇦
Just, my brain can't imagine what it must be like, an invasion force that looks like you, you can make jokes with in a common language and you spend your time making mutually awful ways to end each other.