Your fleet running reports

Explosive Newt

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Explosive Newt »

GG. wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:23 am
Jobbo wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:15 am
GG. wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:02 am That's Winchelsea sea wall BTW @Jobbo. Thanks for the tip! We had a fun day out and my son found a Geode on the beach which we split open - looks like we have a rock geek in the making.
Excellent - it's a funny bit of coast, isn't it? But I really liked Rye and Winchelsea. And Dungeness, but not for a day at the beach :lol:
Yes, quite unusual - we managed to just catch the end of low tide when the sand was exposed which was nice but it nearly caught us out with how quickly it crept up the beach - seemed like a foot or so every few minutes.

I think I watched Chernobyl a bit too recently to hang out for long in Dungeness. :lol:
We were in that area a couple of years back for a few days. Winchelsea is gorgeous but my main excitement was tracking down Spike Milligan’s grave there (“I told you I was sick”). So long as you aren’t looking at the power plant, Dungeness has this very strange wilderness like quality that is unlike anywhere else I’ve seen in the UK.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Had the car idling in the driveway with roof down while I was closing the gate behind me. Small children wandered past and exclaimed “Wow cool!!” which always seems a good reason to own it.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Explosive Newt wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:44 am Had the car idling in the driveway with roof down while I was closing the gate behind me. Small children wandered past and exclaimed “Wow cool!!” which always seems a good reason to own it.
Beautiful!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Explosive Newt wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:35 am We were in that area a couple of years back for a few days. Winchelsea is gorgeous but my main excitement was tracking down Spike Milligan’s grave there (“I told you I was sick”). So long as you aren’t looking at the power plant, Dungeness has this very strange wilderness like quality that is unlike anywhere else I’ve seen in the UK.
I hadn’t realised that’s where Spike Milligan’s grave was. I did have a brief look for Rod Hull’s house (he died there when he fell off the roof in 1999, adjusting his tv aerial) but didn’t know the address.

Dungeness is the only area classified as desert in the UK, I believe.

Also enjoyed looking out at the coast from Winchelsea and Rye, imagining how it used to look when the sea reached them both.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:55 am I hadn’t realised that’s where Spike Milligan’s grave was. I did have a brief look for Rod Hull’s house (he died there when he fell off the roof in 1999, adjusting his tv aerial) but didn’t know the address.
Presumably, it’s the one with the wonky TV aerial?

I remember reading that they were closing down the lighthouse at Dungeness as a visitor attraction, which will be a shame as the views from the top were just amazing.

I understand there is a visitor centre at the power plant but you can only really go as a school trip it seemed, which I was less happy about.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

drcarlos wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:47 pm Fitted a transmission oil cooler to the L200 yesterday in prep for towing on Holiday.

Cooler came used from a breaker for £80 (was £600 + VAT from mitsi) but the hardlines were 'overnight parts from Japan' and arrived yesterday total cost £180.

It was a bit of bastard of a job and needed removal of the Undertray, Airbox, Grill, Intercooler + pipes, wheelarch extensions and left side of bumper to get access and room. Took about 3 hours all told.

It was an option if you had a towing kit fitted at the dealers, mine didn't and had a towing kit fitted independently. Reports are that with the additional weight the gearbox oil get hot and it will drop to 2nd at times (limp mode) to cycle the oil through the smaller cooler in the radiator, this external larger air cooler stops all that and extends gearbox life apparently so it's purely preventative as we have some big hills to climb in France.

I still want to get a remote fold unit for the mirrors, power lock for the tailgate and a tailgate assist strut for it too but I'll do those later in the year.
This worked a treat and the l200 was great to tow with although the torque converter gets noisy when it’s hot, but it doesn’t seem to slip or anything so I’ll not worry about it. I managed to blow a fuse in the scooby before we left which left it totally immobile in the spot I normally leave the caravan (tried to pump up the caravan tyres with my portable compressor). I came back to discover someone had replaced an under bonnet 20 amp fuse with a 4amp one, which as soon as it was replaced everything came back to life again.
I think I’ll finally fit the replacement brake clips today as I haven’t much to do and give it and the truck a wash.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Just picked this up, 2 owner from new, 2.6 auto, cream leather, 119,000 miles. Really happy with it!
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Someone’s going to get HAMMERED into the dust.
Nic

Post by Nic »

:lol:

It’s slow as fuck imo
mik

Post by mik »

[mention]Rich B[/mention] 10/10 8-)
GG.

Post by GG. »

Broccers wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:27 am
Explosive Newt wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:44 am Had the car idling in the driveway with roof down while I was closing the gate behind me. Small children wandered past and exclaimed “Wow cool!!” which always seems a good reason to own it.
Beautiful!
Yep - nice comments can certainly make your day. It stops you taking it for granted when someone blurts out 'living the dream' as happened to me recently :lol:

Also great when you get them from adults without any hint of jealousy. Brits overall seem to have a very hard time acknowledging something nice that anyone else has without feeling antipathy towards the person that owns it.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Nic wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:03 pm Image

Just picked this up, 2 owner from new, 2.6 auto, cream leather, 119,000 miles. Really happy with it!
I presume Sportline suspension with that front bumper ?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Another one to clean, polish and flip? Presumably it'll need some nicer wheels.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Nic

Post by Nic »

Nathan wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:37 pm

I presume Sportline suspension with that front bumper ?
Carat Duchatelet
Nic

Post by Nic »

DeskJockey wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:02 pm

Another one to clean, polish and flip? Presumably it'll need some nicer wheels.
And lowering too!

Not sure with this one, met my wife when I had a 190 2.5-16 in black and it’s bringing back some good memories. Also had one of the most memorable drives with my dad in his AMG going to collect my 190. With a good 2.5-16 possibly out of reach I may keep this a while, even the cayenne has been moved off the drive for it :)
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I spotted a 190 today at a dealer near me. Looked tidy but now I’ve found the ad, it turns out to be a manual 1.8 🙁
https://staverton-cars.co.uk/vehicle/na ... 90-saloon/
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:44 pm I spotted a 190 today at a dealer near me. Looked tidy but now I’ve found the ad, it turns out to be a manual 1.8 🙁
I’d call that the pick of the crop no?

Wasn’t the 1.8 quite a zingy engine and the 2.0 lethargic ?

Dave!
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:44 pm I spotted a 190 today at a dealer near me. Looked tidy but now I’ve found the ad, it turns out to be a manual 1.8 🙁

:P

I am liking the wheel trims on these 8-)

[mention]Nic[/mention] Did you keep the Lupo? If you're breaking it the wheels could find a home on a certain up GTI.
mik

Post by mik »

V8Granite wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:50 pm
Steady Dave!

190 2.5 16V was the first real performance car I got to drive. (V successful) salesman for the company I was working for - taking me back to Gatwick airport. I slobbered on about it so much he pulled over and said “right - you drive the rest of the way”. 21yr old mik was very excited. Even got some oppo on one motorway roundabout.

I nearly wet my pants first time I saw one of these in the metal...:
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

V8Granite wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:50 pm

Wasn’t the 1.8 quite a zingy engine and the 2.0 lethargic ?

Dave!
Did you miss the fact it’s manual?