No F1 thread?

duncs500

Re: No F1 thread?

Post by duncs500 »

Rich B wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:58 pm
duncs500 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:13 pm
Rich B wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:57 pm That sort of thinking is exactly what will keep them a mid-level team.

Whether or not SV is the right option, they know exactly where they’ll be if they carry on as they are - which definitely isn’t winning.
:lol: No it isn't. The other way of looking at it is they could blow their car development budget on a driver that offers nothing over another driver that brings in better revenue.. . now that's the kind of thinking that will take them from mid-level team to the back of the grid. ;)
Thats motor racing!
What? Making poor choices which make you perform worse? I suppose whatever your viewpoint, someone can respond with "That's motor racing!", but it doesn't make for an interesting discussion! :lol:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

duncs500 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:56 pm
Rich B wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:58 pm
duncs500 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:13 pm

:lol: No it isn't. The other way of looking at it is they could blow their car development budget on a driver that offers nothing over another driver that brings in better revenue.. . now that's the kind of thinking that will take them from mid-level team to the back of the grid. ;)
Thats motor racing!
What? Making poor choices which make you perform worse? I suppose whatever your viewpoint, someone can respond with "That's motor racing!", but it doesn't make for an interesting discussion! :lol:
Alright moody!

The dictionary defines racing as “a competition between runners, horses, vehicles, etc. to see which is the fastest in covering a set course.“

They’ll never win if they aren’t willing to take risks and push beyond their comfort zone.

We hear it every race - if a driver isn’t willing to go for the gap, then it’s not racing and they shouldn’t be there.
Marv

Post by Marv »

Rich B wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:06 pm
They’ll never win if they aren’t willing to take risks and push beyond their comfort zone. But Stroll has proved it’s not about the desire to win for him with his team choices.
Can agree with that.

They'd be better off keeping Perez with the money and points he brings in and dump off Lance in favour of giving the seat to a properly promising, up and coming driver... But that isn't going to happen for obvious reasons, is it!?!
Oui, je suis un motard.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Marv wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:21 pm
They’ll never win if they aren’t willing to take risks and push beyond their comfort zone. But Stroll has proved it’s not about the desire to win for him with his team choices.
Can agree with that.

They'd be better off keeping Perez with the money and points he brings in and dump off Lance in favour of giving the seat to a properly promising, up and coming driver... But that isn't going to happen for obvious reasons, is it!?!
I don’t know, I think they’d get Ocon or Russel in there if they could. Their Merc tie in is getting stronger and those two drivers are part of the Merc driver scheme. It’s where I thought they were going in the medium term until Seb came available.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Marv

Post by Marv »

They dumped off Ocon in favour of Stroll and Perez last season!
Oui, je suis un motard.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Rich B wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:58 pm Thats motor racing!
Alright moody!

The dictionary defines racing as “a competition between runners, horses, vehicles, etc. to see which is the fastest in covering a set course.“

They’ll never win if they aren’t willing to take risks and push beyond their comfort zone.

We hear it every race - if a driver isn’t willing to go for the gap, then it’s not racing and they shouldn’t be there.
No moodiness here! I do think you're talking nonsense though. ;) The only way a team like that will ever win a championship is through successfully developing a fast car, and the most likely route to that is through building up their financial position and hiring talented designers. Blowing their budget on another mediocre driver doesn't seem like a wise risk.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

duncs500 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:17 pm

Alright moody!

No moodiness here! I do think you're talking nonsense though. ;) The only way a team like that will ever win a championship is through successfully developing a fast car, and the most likely route to that is through building up their financial position and hiring talented designers. Blowing their budget on another mediocre driver doesn't seem like a wise risk.
The ONLY way a team like that could win A championship is if there was a rule change and they “did a Brawn”.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I still think Ocon is overrated and crap 😂
His spat with his own team mate last race reminded me why Force India dropped him - always tangling with his own team mate to the point of wasting both their own times and not knowing when to back off.
Then he always comes off as an arrogant little prick in interviews.
How about not having a sig at all?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Rich B wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:27 pm
Rich B wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:06 pm Alright moody!

The ONLY way a team like that could win A championship is if there was a rule change and they “did a Brawn”.
Well, innovative design, yes. That's exactly the point I'm making, save your Vettel salary and invest it in the designer or equipment that's going to give you a chance to find the next double diffuser. That is the ONLY way they're going to do it.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

I didn’t say I thought he was a good driver, just where I thought it could end up as Tracing Point were shaping up to be even more of an unofficial Merc B team at the time.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

duncs500 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:46 pm
Rich B wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:27 pm

Well, innovative design, yes. That's exactly the point I'm making, save your Vettel salary and invest it in the designer or equipment that's going to give you a chance to find the next double diffuser. That is the ONLY way they're going to do it.
or more likely, carry on as a middling team at best until the owner gets bored and someone else buys/rebrands it... AGAIN.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The next major rule change will see Racing Point lose performance as they won’t be able to copy anyone for the first year 😂
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Rich B wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:06 pm
Rich B wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:27 pm The ONLY way a team like that could win A championship is if there was a rule change and they “did a Brawn”.
or more likely, carry on as a middling team at best until the owner gets bored and someone else buys/rebrands it... AGAIN.
You don’t have to watch it :lol:
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Orange Cola wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:52 pm
Rich B wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:06 pm

eh?! I love F1. I’m not complaining about any part of it. We’re discussing whether Tracing Point should take a gamble On a top driver or not.

I think they should, they have a unique chance at the moment when they clearly gambled On copying the Merc design (because the rule change would effectively reset it after one season) and the gamble paid off.

But the delay means they have their half decent car for two seasons. So they Might as well put a decent driver in it!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Worth a gamble for Vettel either way, a year in RP which will maybe see an opportunity open at a better team for the year after. Perez will inevitably move to another team due to all his backing - hopefully Haas and then Grosjean can fuck off never to be seen again.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:08 pm Worth a gamble for Vettel either way, a year in RP which will maybe see an opportunity open at a better team for the year after. Perez will inevitably move to another team due to all his backing - hopefully Haas and then Grosjean can fuck off never to be seen again.
Such as Merc* when Lewis retires after 8 titles? *Or whatever Merc becomes.
Marv

Post by Marv »

Rich B wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:02 pm
Rich B wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:06 pm or more likely, carry on as a middling team at best until the owner gets bored and someone else buys/rebrands it... AGAIN.
eh?! I love F1. I’m not complaining about any part of it. We’re discussing whether Tracing Point should take a gamble On a top driver or not.

I think they should, they have a unique chance at the moment when they clearly gambled On copying the Merc design (because the rule change would effectively reset it after one season) and the gamble paid off.

But the delay means they have their half decent car for two seasons. So they Might as well put a decent driver in it!
If you put Vettel's championships to one side, where would you rank him in terms of his ability as a driver?

For me:

Hamilton
Verstappen
Leclerc
Riccardo
... Then maybe Vettel? I'd say drivers like Norris are more promising and Sainz more reliable, but as they've only been around for a while, so I'd hesitate to put them above him... But it's drivers like that I'd be looking for, if I was running a mid-field team.

I think signing RP signing Vettel is as ridiculous as Renault signing Alonso.

Let's see if it happens 🤪
Oui, je suis un motard.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Marv wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:24 am

If you put Vettel's championships to one side, where would you rank him in terms of his ability as a driver?

For me:

Hamilton
Verstappen
Leclerc
Riccardo
... Then maybe Vettel? I'd say drivers like Norris are more promising and Sainz more reliable, but as they've only been around for a while, so I'd hesitate to put them above him... But it's drivers like that I'd be looking for, if I was running a mid-field team.

id rank Vettel above Ricciardo “on the right day” (if the car is fast he will deliver in it), but his obvious weakness is he makes far too many mistakes under pressure.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Marv wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:24 am

For me:

Hamilton
Verstappen
Leclerc
Riccardo

I'd agree with that. Although, it's a close run thing between even Bottas and Vettel for me, and I'd choose Bottas because he's a better team player. :-D
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Having said all that, F1 always needs a pantomime villain and Vettel plays that role with aplomb so in some ways it's a shame we don't have him near the top to entertain us with his antics. I'm sure someone will step into the role.