Your fleet running reports

Jimexpl

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Jimexpl »

Disco Sport has just gone over 17,000 miles and 2 years old, and other than spending 50% more on a new Defender can’t think of a replacement when it goes back next year - I think I might end up settling the final payment and keeping it.
I still miss something quick as a daily driver, but when most of the time there are two kids in the back, a 250hp petrol is fine.

I had a normally easy to repair puncture it last week, but had to scrap the tyre because of Noise reducing foam stuck to the inside of the carcass making repairs difficult. £250 and less than half worn...

It’s my first experience of the acoustic foam in a tyre. I remember it being talked about years ago when I was still in new car motor trade, but I’d never seen it in use.

Apparently lots of electric cars use it as tyre noise is more obvious.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Rich B wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:55 pm After having 19s on the M3 and 320d I just have it in my head that tyres cost £250 a corner. Anything less is a bargain!
Fair enough on the M3, but does a 320d really need posh tyres ? My 7 runs on 20" tyres, a full set of Falkens was £600 and they've been great so far.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:40 pm
Rich B wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:55 pm After having 19s on the M3 and 320d I just have it in my head that tyres cost £250 a corner. Anything less is a bargain!
Fair enough on the M3, but does a 320d really need posh tyres ? My 7 runs on 20" tyres, a full set of Falkens was £600 and they've been great so far.
i went with OE spec and found the cheapest deal I could (micheldever tyres). I can’t remember exactly what I paid but I’ve always been disappointed when I deviated from OE spec with any of my “modern” BMWs.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Jimexpl wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:31 pm Disco Sport has just gone over 17,000 miles and 2 years old, and other than spending 50% more on a new Defender can’t think of a replacement when it goes back next year - I think I might end up settling the final payment and keeping it.
I still miss something quick as a daily driver, but when most of the time there are two kids in the back, a 250hp petrol is fine.

I had a normally easy to repair puncture it last week, but had to scrap the tyre because of Noise reducing foam stuck to the inside of the carcass making repairs difficult. £250 and less than half worn...

It’s my first experience of the acoustic foam in a tyre. I remember it being talked about years ago when I was still in new car motor trade, but I’d never seen it in use.

They usually just cut out a block of the foam, do the repair and glue it back in afterwards. Odd.
How about not having a sig at all?
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:17 pm
Jimexpl wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:31 pm Disco Sport has just gone over 17,000 miles and 2 years old, and other than spending 50% more on a new Defender can’t think of a replacement when it goes back next year - I think I might end up settling the final payment and keeping it.

They usually just cut out a block of the foam, do the repair and glue it back in afterwards. Odd.
Kwik Fit Refused to do it, as did the independent that I ended up using. The independent said that they’ve had balancing issues after repair.
I guess it comes down to the chains wanting to sell a new tyre, and the independents repairing it in some down time and flogging it as a decent part-worn!
Foz

Post by Foz »

Loltus issues persist, even less power...for wasn’t even making 300 bhp.

Interestingly with a perfect exit out of the hairpin it will still outdrag a 991 3.8 PDK GT3.
Foz

Post by Foz »

Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Passat EOTR - reliably did its job with zero fuss for three years but was never very interesting.

It was wifey's car but since buying the MINI last summer she's hardly driven the Passat. I have the 7 for commuting and the Touareg for big / dirty / towing so the Passat was simply no longer needed. Ho-hum.

Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Quick update on the 320D. Drove down to Oxford to see the wife and in-laws, so I've done about 600 miles in less than a week. I haven't properly checked the mpg but it's nice to have a range of 550 miles from a full tank without trying. It can be a bit slow getting off the line but once it's up to speed it's fast enough. The ride still surprises me. It's on standard M-Sport suspension and 19" runflats but it's supple and less crashy than the adaptive dampers on the M235i which the wife hated. Just shows how far tyre technology has progressed. The sat-nav is really rubbish, I just use Google Maps on my phone. Having a bigger boot is useful and the electronic tailgate is just nice. It's a fantastic everyday cruiser, perhaps it's boring, but it does the daily duties very well.
M235i
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Ours will do 55mpg on a cruise, but is averaging 41 For daily grind.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Rich B wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:10 pm
Sundayjumper wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:40 pm
i went with OE spec and found the cheapest deal I could (micheldever tyres). I can’t remember exactly what I paid but I’ve always been disappointed when I deviated from OE spec with any of my “modern” BMWs.
RFTs?

What size are they anyway? My F1 Asymm2s only cost about £120 a corner. That's for 2x 225/40-18 and 2x 255/35-18
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Just checked the tyre sizes on my 320D. The fronts are 225/40 R19 and the rears are 255/35 R19. Quick search on Black Circle shows I can get MPS4 for £160 each. Run flats are around £170. Around the 200 quid mark seems about right.
M235i
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

A newly acquired friend turned up today to re-measure our window and door job in his 4C. Have to say what a lovely little thing, and sounded great (I think it had the straight-pipe race exhaust). Exposed carbon tub looked good. Didn't get to have a go out in it (didn't push it with C-19), but maybe next time. He had put the fake Ferrari yellow shields on the wings with the serpent chomping on the fella, not sure about those.

Who knew that you can make a shitload more in PVC than IT.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

mr_jon wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:47 pmWho knew that you can make a shitload more in PVC than IT.
They don’t call it white gold for nothing !

John

Post by John »

mr_jon wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:47 pm A newly acquired friend turned up today to re-measure our window and door job in his 4C. Have to say what a lovely little thing, and sounded great (I think it had the straight-pipe race exhaust). Exposed carbon tub looked good. Didn't get to have a go out in it (didn't push it with C-19), but maybe next time. He had put the fake Ferrari yellow shields on the wings with the serpent chomping on the fella, not sure about those.

I spotted a 4C and an Alpine A110 together in Lincolnshire the other day, could have been your new mate :)
Nic

Post by Nic »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:22 pm What's with the matte strip below the rear screen ? Is that standard ?

You've got me browsing Cayenne GTS now, btw...
It’s usual blends in to the tinted windows that 99% of them have I guess.

Wheels refurbed today and I’m resisting temptation to dechrome and tint the rear windows as i like the base spec look and it all ties together at the moment. Have played about with the ride height a little bit and it’s pretty much spot on imo.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Much, much better 8-)

Not keen on the chrome but I can't decide if I think it would look worse if it was black/body coloured. Wouldn't be so bad, it's mainly the b and c-pillars that just look a bit much.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Yeah, just needs the two big slabs of chrome on the pillars wrapping to tone it down a notch.
Cheers, Harry
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Nic, you need bigger wheels ;)
M235i
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

John wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:12 pm
mr_jon wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:47 pm A newly acquired friend turned up today to re-measure our window and door job in his 4C. Have to say what a lovely little thing, and sounded great (I think it had the straight-pipe race exhaust). Exposed carbon tub looked good. Didn't get to have a go out in it (didn't push it with C-19), but maybe next time. He had put the fake Ferrari yellow shields on the wings with the serpent chomping on the fella, not sure about those.

I spotted a 4C and an Alpine A110 together in Lincolnshire the other day, could have been your new mate :)
Maybe, he's in Woodhall Spa.