Latest scammer trick

scotta

Latest scammer trick

Post by scotta »

My mate Stephen runs a garage that sells some pretty nice stuff.

Someone tried to scam him out of a very nice cayman last week

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Latest scammer trick

Post by Rich B »

Well it’s innovative anyway! Cheeky fucks, I’m hoping there’s going to be a part two to this when the police meet him when he comes to pick up his car?
scotta

Post by scotta »

Rich B wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:16 pm Well it’s innovative anyway! Cheeky fucks, I’m hoping there’s going to be a part two to this when the police meet him when he comes to pick up his car?
I asked that question - no confirmation.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Phew. Close call that one. Shows the danger of allowing the processing of loans without call backs and proper verification.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Video isn’t working for me, would someone mind summarising?
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Orange Cola wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:14 pm Video isn’t working for me, would someone mind summarising?
No time, do you have a small/medium business by any chance? can I transfer you £40k for your mustang?
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

I’ve got it to work. As said above I wonder if anyone will turn up for the car.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Hang on, is he called James or Stephen? Sounds like a scam, I'm ooooot!

Maybe it's because I've been here so long but it was a pleasure listening to his accent 8-)
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Marv

Post by Marv »

Those bounce back loans are only available to business, so if you're selling a car privately then it shouldn't be a problem...that said the scammers will probably find another way. Sneaky bastards...hope they are caught!
Oui, je suis un motard.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

It’s kind of been the missing link with a lot of these scams, you can set up accounts/loan/credit cards etc in someone else’s name/address or order/buy all sorts, but the issue is always how you physically take the money or goods because it’ll always go to the marks home address/bank account. This one is ridiculously neat, because it allows them to anonymously take the car/keys/paperwork - and the seller even signs it all over!

It’s shocking that it can be that quick and easy to set up such a large loan.
scotta

Post by scotta »

unzippy wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:33 am Hang on, is he called James or Stephen? Sounds like a scam, I'm ooooot!

Maybe it's because I've been here so long but it was a pleasure listening to his accent 8-)
Stephen - his dad started the company decades ago and he now runs the business.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Rich B wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:05 am It’s kind of been the missing link with a lot of these scams, you can set up accounts/loan/credit cards etc in someone else’s name/address or order/buy all sorts, but the issue is always how you physically take the money or goods because it’ll always go to the marks home address/bank account. This one is ridiculously neat, because it allows them to anonymously take the car/keys/paperwork - and the seller even signs it all over!

I believe the trick is to cancel the deal and ask for your 40k transferred back to another account.
mik

Post by mik »

Broccers wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:08 pm
Rich B wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:05 am It’s kind of been the missing link with a lot of these scams, you can set up accounts/loan/credit cards etc in someone else’s name/address or order/buy all sorts, but the issue is always how you physically take the money or goods because it’ll always go to the marks home address/bank account. This one is ridiculously neat, because it allows them to anonymously take the car/keys/paperwork - and the seller even signs it all over!

I believe the trick is to cancel the deal and ask for your 40k transferred back to another account.
Not in this case. The scammer has taken out a business loan for £40k in the name of the car dealership. When the money arrived in their account the scammer called and advised he had made the payment. In theory he/she would have arrived to pick the car up and drive away. And the dealership is then expected to pay back the £40k loan he just took out....
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Yeah, but rather than collect the car they could have called up a couple of days later, said they’d changed their mind, change in circumstances etc and asked for their money back, could it be payed into xyz account please, keep £500 for the inconvenience etc.

Maybe easier to ‘lose’ the money that way than an easily identifiable asset gained through deception.
Cheers, Harry
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:55 am Yeah, but rather than collect the car they could have called up a couple of days later, said they’d changed their mind, change in circumstances etc and asked for their money back, could it be payed into xyz account please, keep £500 for the inconvenience etc.

Maybe easier to ‘lose’ the money that way than an easily identifiable asset gained through deception.
yeah, it’s a good scam!
mik

Post by mik »

Good point.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Also the payback of the loan doesnt start until month 13 out of a 60 month term which is on offer.

There is a bit of uproar about the use of the bounce back funding - as long as its paid back I can't see an issue with what people use it for apart from fraud obs. 50k on premium bonds seems a good idea :D
Simon

Post by Simon »

Broccers wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:02 am Also the payback of the loan doesnt start until month 13 out of a 60 month term which is on offer.

There is a bit of uproar about the use of the bounce back funding - as long as its paid back I can't see an issue with what people use it for apart from fraud obs. 50k on premium bonds seems a good idea :D
The uproar is that the govt are guaranteeing any losses so they could get the banks to issue the loans without much in the way of background checks.

So you're ok with taxpayers funding a loss on 'bankrupt' companies that have taken a BBL for a director to spunk on premium bonds or whatever?

There's gonna be a lot of fraud cases to deal with when this is over.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

I’m interested to see if he follows up and goes for the car or the cash, the obvious one seems to be the cash but that leaves a trail and I can’t see anyone trying to withdraw 40k to clean it, however if he opts to take the car with a V5 and he flips the car to someone else who’s unsuspecting (it’ll have V5, full history etc etc) then that leaves him with ‘clean‘ money and someone else with the stolen goods.
GG.

Post by GG. »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:55 am Yeah, but rather than collect the car they could have called up a couple of days later, said they’d changed their mind, change in circumstances etc and asked for their money back, could it be payed into xyz account please, keep £500 for the inconvenience etc.

I agree that makes logical sense but you should be wise to that sort of thing as a business as full payment for good / quick refund and return of the cash is a classic money laundering process.

You'd have to be pretty quick in collecting the car with a scam like this though as it will unravel pretty quickly when the bank sends the confirmatory paperwork for the BBL to the business address (which could be as quick as the following couple of days depending on the efficiency of the bank).