No Apple thread?

Orange Cola

No Apple thread?

Post by Orange Cola »

That was a WWDC that delivered, first proper one in a long time. iOS14 looks promising and the shift to Apples own CPU’s potentially this calendar year is a massive shift even if it has been on the cards for years.

Big Sur looks cool too, promised to fix the Catalina slow fest but remains to be seen. My iMac can’t upgrade from Catalina which is a shame, it would have been nice to leave that on a stable OS like my MacBook 2,1 but I can move my MacBook Pro to Big Sur 8-)
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Re: No Apple thread?

Post by Ascender »

It was an interesting one with shed loads of stuff mentioned. I like the look of the changes to iOS14, messages and widgets in particular. As a heavy iPad user I love the look of Scribble - I’ll often be taking notes and want to quickly reply to something which means I have to use the keyboard.

And Big Sur isn’t just the stability/performance tweak expected - I like the modern fresh look they’ve given it.
Cheers,

Mike.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Scribble sounds good, I haven’t looked into that yet. I don’t know what I’ll do with the widgets, it’s a bit Android to me but hey ho.

I’m going to wait on changing my iMac now, I’ll just get an Apple powered one.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The double tap and triple tap shortcuts on the back of the phone are cool. It’s almost as if they forgot the iPhone had that functionality :lol:
Changing native apps is great too, can finally use chrome natively and whatever email server you want.
The widgets seem useful depending on how app developers implement them. Eg with all these WiFi connected home devices just having a thermostat widget on your home screen where you can change the temp right away instead of opening an app, or immediate access to WiFi lights etc makes it more slick.
How about not having a sig at all?
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Orange Cola wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:03 pm Scribble sounds good, I haven’t looked into that yet. I don’t know what I’ll do with the widgets, it’s a bit Android to me but hey ho.

There’s a newly designed one good to go but rumours say the first version will definitely be intel-based. I’ve had the same thought, will replace our main one when the new ones are out with Apple chips.

Really interested to see what they can do on the laptop and desktop front with their own chips.
Cheers,

Mike.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Am missing something huge, I’m this all sounds like a really boring update!
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Ascender wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:06 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:03 pm Scribble sounds good, I haven’t looked into that yet. I don’t know what I’ll do with the widgets, it’s a bit Android to me but hey ho.

There’s a newly designed one good to go but rumours say the first version will definitely be intel-based. I’ve had the same thought, will replace our main one when the new ones are out with Apple chips.

Really interested to see what they can do on the laptop and desktop front with their own chips.
They already know sales will stagnate until they get their own chipset out, so I bet it’s launch already planned carefully.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:13 pm Am missing something huge, I’m this all sounds like a really boring update!
Yeah it is in the sense that we’re not expecting new products in a matter of days. However it’s a massive update in the sense that the next wave of products In 6-12 months time are going to be far more capable and there’s a lot more potential to come after that. They’re pretty much going to leave Windows and Android long behind in the sense of a whole family of products (A user having an iPhone and a Mac for example) working well, together, for maximum productivity.

The battery life improvements look to be good before they really even try optimising the chipsets, the fact apps will now be able to work across mobile and desktop type devices is also going to bring a lot of efficiencies and user experience improvements.
Beany

Post by Beany »

They've been saying that iPhones, iMac's, macbooks etc will work seamlessly together for years though. ;)

I'm quite interested to see how their ARM processor works in a MacBook form factor though ; since moving to Linux....ooh, to many years ago, ARM had always interested me, but it's not quite had the raw shove to do a full, high performance desktop replacement quite yet.

Given how Apples ARM chips have always been pretty advanced, it might start an arms race among the ARM vendors to start getting up for higher power processors.

Ultimately, that leads to more competition and that's a good thing for everyone.

So while I normally don't care for WWDC, as a tech nerd this one has got my attention.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Intel have been struggling to shrink their chips in recent time and their performance is lagging compared to Apple iPhones and iPads for things like single core. It’s not a great look for Apple or Intel, so its no surprise this has finally happened. Apple make some amazing systems on a chip, so it’s going to be really interesting to see how they scale up to laptops and then desktops - can’t wait to see what they do for the next Mac Pro for example.

The handoff and integration between different Apple devices has worked really well for a while now. Starting stuff on one device, moving to another one.. copy & paste between devices etc.

Laptop wise it will be interesting to see if they can get the latest tech to their next ones as its the iPad Pro which has FaceID, the great screen, hd front facing camera etc.
Cheers,

Mike.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

We bought a MacBook Pro from Box.co.uk recently. They had £50 off the price and listed it with “2 Years Apple Warranty.”

When I went to register the laptop with Apple, it turns out it only has one year’s Apple warranty. They then responded to say that they’d handle the second year warranty (so its not an Apple warranty) and updated all their listings to remove that statement.

I think I’d like my money back please....
Cheers,

Mike.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

I've just this week bought a MacBook Air, to try out having a dual OSX / Windows machine. Does the change to their own processor mean this won't be possible in those new machines ?
Beany

Post by Beany »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:55 am I've just this week bought a MacBook Air, to try out having a dual OSX / Windows machine. Does the change to their own processor mean this won't be possible in those new machines ?
Correct. You can't buy Windows for ARM processors retail (as a person), it's only available to OEMs (IE Dell).
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:13 pm Am missing something huge, I’m this all sounds like a really boring update!
What Rich said. It's not as if Intel, Microsoft et al will be doing nothing for the next 6-12 months.

Having said that, I'd go for an Apple laptop over a Windows one quite happily... if it didn't have that annoying aluminium wrist wrest with an edge that digs into your skin. Dell sussed this out with the XPS years ago; have a metal frame but a soft wrist rest.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:03 am
What Rich said. It's not as if Intel, Microsoft et al will be doing nothing for the next 6-12 months.

If their current silicone is anything to go by, their desktop and laptop stuff should be incredible.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

The point is that although Microsoft, Dell etc may go a similar route they won’t have ipad/iPhone devices to back it up and make a complete user experience across multiple devices that can compete. It’ll be different devices on different platforms, it just won’t work as well. I guess you could argue Apple are turning their bubble into an iron curtain and when you invest in Apple products the only way to get the most out of them is to go 100% Apple and I’m sure that will upset a few folk.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Orange Cola wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:06 pm The point is that although Microsoft, Dell etc may go a similar route they won’t have ipad/iPhone devices to back it up and make a complete user experience across multiple devices that can compete. It’ll be different devices on different platforms, it just won’t work as well. I guess you could argue Apple are turning their bubble into an iron curtain and when you invest in Apple products the only way to get the most out of them is to go 100% Apple and I’m sure that will upset a few folk.
The reality of the seamless switch from iPhone to iPad to Mac currently is that it's not quite seamless or instant. While I've found syncing documents across OneDrive and Sharepoint to be pretty much perfect; accessible on any PC which is logged in, and through an app on my iPhone. Apple talk more about it, Microsoft seem to get on and do it without fanfare. The reality is that anything 6-12 months away on one platform is going to be copied by the other within a short space of time.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I see the new privacy features in the iOS beta have already flagged-up that TikTok is regularly reading the contents of your device’s clipboard.

Those crazy Chinese!
Cheers,

Mike.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:24 am
Orange Cola wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:06 pm The point is that although Microsoft, Dell etc may go a similar route they won’t have ipad/iPhone devices to back it up and make a complete user experience across multiple devices that can compete. It’ll be different devices on different platforms, it just won’t work as well. I guess you could argue Apple are turning their bubble into an iron curtain and when you invest in Apple products the only way to get the most out of them is to go 100% Apple and I’m sure that will upset a few folk.
The reality of the seamless switch from iPhone to iPad to Mac currently is that it's not quite seamless or instant. While I've found syncing documents across OneDrive and Sharepoint to be pretty much perfect; accessible on any PC which is logged in, and through an app on my iPhone. Apple talk more about it, Microsoft seem to get on and do it without fanfare. The reality is that anything 6-12 months away on one platform is going to be copied by the other within a short space of time.
Interesting. I use OneDrive and the Microsoft solution in work and the Apple solution at home. I find the MS implementation awful, not only are there about 5 different ways of doing something (and it’s not obvious which way is best) but it only seems to actually work 50% of the time. The other 50% of the time it’s slowing the PC down, or slowing the PC down for several hours whilst trying to update the bit that’s making the PC slow down this particular week.

By contrast I find the Apple solution just works :?
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:24 amThe reality of the seamless switch from iPhone to iPad to Mac currently is that it's not quite seamless or instant. While I've found syncing documents across OneDrive and Sharepoint to be pretty much perfect; accessible on any PC which is logged in, and through an app on my iPhone. Apple talk more about it, Microsoft seem to get on and do it without fanfare. The reality is that anything 6-12 months away on one platform is going to be copied by the other within a short space of time.
What do you mean going from iPhone to iPad to Mac specifically? Using iCloud and the Apple apps?

I’ve not had any issues with synching stuff in OneDrive, iCloud or Dropbox for many years now and Apple-specific stuff like Photos, Music etc synching across devices has been spot-on. I really like their hand-off technology and being and to copy something on one device and just paste in to another without any faffing.
Cheers,

Mike.