Mountain Biking general thread

Carlos

Re: Mountain Biking general thread

Post by Carlos »

Rich B wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:24 pm Just on eBay, the whole market has gone crazy. Demand is sky high with people stuck at home and supply is buggered for new bikes. There’s some manufacturers who are already talking about new stock only being available for 2021 now.
It's madness, I've sold shit loads of unused tech and toys as I've had the time. Over a £1,000 for stuff that would never had seen the light of day again.

I'm now on the shed and started with the big stuff this week 3 bikes gone within a couple of days on Gumtree. My dad's 2016 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid was something like £350 new back in the day when I bought it for him went straight away for £280, kids Pinnacle Kauri for £200 which was £20 more than I bought it for used 18 months ago and £700 for a 2 year old On One Parkwood 29er.

You've got to put up with the melons though. One guy was coming with CASH and a Part Exchange he thought I may be interested in :lol:
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Rich B wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:24 pm Just on eBay, the whole market has gone crazy. Demand is sky high with people stuck at home and supply is buggered for new bikes. There’s some manufacturers who are already talking about new stock only being available for 2021 now.
I suspect the gears could do with an adjustment, but presumably I just call that out in the listing and shouldn’t affect the price that much?
Cheers,

Mike.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Ascender wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:40 pm
I suspect the gears could do with an adjustment, but presumably I just call that out in the listing and shouldn’t affect the price that much?
yeah, standard eBay rules - be truthful and let them decide. My buyer is coming tomorrow, fingers crossed he’s genuine.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Ascender wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:40 pm I suspect the gears could do with an adjustment, but presumably I just call that out in the listing and shouldn’t affect the price that much?
With bikes, "gears could do with an adjustment" is a bit like "it's probably just a fuse" in car world.

Adjusting the gears is dead simple, honestly, best to do it and avoid needing to mention it at all.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

eBay is definitely something to be experienced sparingly though - I’ve had at least 6 people asking what size the frame is, despite it clearly being stated in the description.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:07 pm
Ascender wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:40 pm I suspect the gears could do with an adjustment, but presumably I just call that out in the listing and shouldn’t affect the price that much?
With bikes, "gears could do with an adjustment" is a bit like "it's probably just a fuse" in car world.

Adjusting the gears is dead simple, honestly, best to do it and avoid needing to mention it at all.
Is it simple though? My experience with those in the past has been its a simple theory of adjusting the different adjuster/limit screws one at a time, by very small increments.... until the gears are worse than when you started.
Cheers,

Mike.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

If someone asks what's the lowest you'll take as an opener, those conversations never go anywhere. I've taken to replying, what's the most you'll pay and that pretty much ends it.
mik

Post by mik »

Ascender wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:52 pm

Is it simple though? My experience with those in the past has been its a simple theory of adjusting the different adjuster/limit screws one at a time, by very small increments.... until the gears are worse than when you started.
:lol: Yes it is simple - so long as you are following a good, clear set of destructions.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Ascender wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:52 pm

Thank me later

Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

I’ve jut been out for a ride. 8 days ago I did 16 miles with 3 stops, tonight I did 22 miles no stops. I was fighting off some mild cramp for the last 8 which was easily stretched out.

First ride I’ve enjoyed being back on the bike where I haven’t felt my fitness is properly limiting my ability to cover ground so I was able to start enjoying it again. Not sure what I’ve done to suddenly find all that extra but I’ve changed the pedals, followed some MTB posture set up guides, camelbak fits (even though it’s on a man, how sexist) and I pumped up the tyres properly just before the ride. That can’t have been it.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Ascender wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:52 pm Is it simple though? My experience with those in the past has been its a simple theory of adjusting the different adjuster/limit screws one at a time, by very small increments.... until the gears are worse than when you started.
For the rear mech:

One screw stops it going into the wheel
The other screw stops it going into the frame

Adjust them so that it doesn't do either.

The cable tension adjusts how keen it is to move up or down the block. If it is slow to move to bigger cogs (easier gears), increase the tension by unscrewing the adjuster. If it is slow to move to smaller cogs (harder gears), reduce the tension by screwing the adjuster inwards.

Confusingly, the front mech, if you have one, works in the opposite direction.

Seriously. Very easy.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Thanks everyone.

Just back from a nice ride in the sun on the road bike, will have a look later on. 👍🏻
Cheers,

Mike.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

I have been out loads although I got stung next to my eye by a bee last week so could barely see for a few days which hampered me. Was still able to go practice bunny hops and wheelies, things I never really managed before. I now can but sadly it did not have the laydees throwing themselves at me. Not even the wife!

I stuck my boy's Merida 620 mtb up and it has been sold same day, chap coming later. Sell price £50, I bought it for £65 three years ago so cannot grumble with that.

We also have a Boardman Hybrid but as 3 of us can fit on it, we want to keep it for commuting.

Been so many "Full Suss excellent bike first £200 gets it" and its an Apollo or Muddy Fox! :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

Gavin wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:48 am
We also have a Boardman Hybrid but as 3 of us can fit on it, we want to keep it for commuting.
That’s good.

Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Mine (2013 Specialized Enduro Evo) was collected yesterday for £700, very happy with that!
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

mik wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:02 am
Gavin wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:48 am
That’s good.

:lol: :lol:
8Ball

Post by 8Ball »

I think the stuff I've got to sell is verging on retro.

Although some of it might get kept for a 90s retro build...
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

There's a forum for that - retrobike.co.uk ! You can easily get lost in there reminiscing about stuff.
8Ball

Post by 8Ball »

Yeah, I'm trying to avoid that!
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:04 am Mine (2013 Specialized Enduro Evo) was collected yesterday for £700, very happy with that!
You did well, they look old school with 26" wheels and coil shock.