Single versus two car argument

ShockDiamonds

Single versus two car argument

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Leading on from the insurance question in the General forum. I've not had multiple cars for years - had the CL with the 535d and a company car in parallel years ago and other than continually leaving my sunglasses in the wrong car (never got around to buying more) I don't recall really having the issues some seem to moan about with regards to paperwork, MOT dates and so on.

This is purely subjective of course, but just wondering how others do it. Current car plan in replacing the Panamera at year's end is something sensible in terms of new and reliable like an M340i xDrive or, still new and sensible but a little more uncouth, a Civic Type-R (I love those) or into used options, perhaps an older Aston, maybe a 911 or something like that (2+2) which will comfortably fit into our gargage (4m 70 max length, 1m 90 width to be safe). And then something new but cheap(ish) to partner the weekend car, 1 series BMW or similar. Maybe a Golf, but ideally a BMW (mag work etc).

Who else does this? Dave, what's your daily to partner the 911 and that American thing? :) As I said, this is purely subjective I know but does the fact your garage is full of car ever get too much, does the general 'living with' tend to weigh a little if you're not using it regularly enough (I already know the Astons will need to be used) etc. I've been a one car dude for years, any pointers you guys have for living with more than one? I do tend to be the type of chap who feels he needs to use stuff otherwise why have it, but that also means I want to use the garage properly :)
Last edited by ShockDiamonds on Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orange Cola

Re: Single versus two car argument

Post by Orange Cola »

Not at all. I have three cars, one is on loan to the parents whilst theirs is being restored.

I set everything to the same date, so tax, insurance, servicing and MOT is all at the same time and saves any forgetful moments. I also have annual reminders in the phone calendar. The only concern is if both cars end up being off the road at the same time, partly for the convenience but also with having two potentially large bills land but that’s unlikely to happen. If it’s really bad you have the option of waiting to fix one and even taking it off the road and tooling about in the other.

Although we have a practical car and a fun car it’s actually best to spread the use out and not leave one sat doing nothing for weeks or months on end, modern cars need to be used or they’ll suffer failures from lack of use. Other than that just enjoy it.

(I’m looking at adding a fourth car, I got rid of a fourth car not so long back so I’m technically down by 1 :lol: )
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Cheers. Yes 1 Series for the week-based work, back-n-forth to the office when I go in, nice safe three year warranty, and then longer trips in something else over the weekend, that's the basic premise here.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

You might want to consider making the two cars ~6 months apart for servicing and payments but that’s about it.
_andy

Post by _andy »

I have four cars, two of which are used on a regular basis, the iQ for local trips and the BMW which is used for longer journeys and going to the office (although not now). These tend to be taxed/insured/MoT'd on a rolling basis and I rely on a mix of reminders via post and email (for insurance and tax renewals) and annually recurring appointments on my phone for MoT's. The other two cars are not critical so can go for periods where they are uninsured and/or SORN'd because I'm not using them. For example the Spazda is MoT'd and insured, but because it is in bits (as usual) it is not taxed and is living in the garage.

All my cars have random MoT, tax and insurance due dates, although insurance and tax do tend to fall at the same time now that tax is no longer carried over when you buy a vehicle.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

For me personally, two cars is the way to go. It allows you to own something that feels a bit more special, more of an event.

I guess it depends what you're into to some extent, if you like the type of car that suits day to day use like a modern 911 then I understand doing that if you can afford it. I also get the arguments that it means you're always in the right car in those magic moments when the traffic evaporates and you find yourself in the twisties.

However, I find that nine times out of ten I know when I'm likely to be on fun roads, and I just like the almost ceremonial feeling of getting out the special car for a special occasion. It doesn't really bother me if I don't use it that much, as long as I know it's there whenever I want it. I've been leasing the day to day car for a while now which stops having to think too much in terms of service and MOT. I'm just the kind of person who can put up with a very mediocre car if it means that the second car can be better. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a fast daily as well, but it's not a big sacrifice for me and I'd always think "that could have been £XXX that could have gone towards the special car".
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

The other thing with my strategy is it makes the fun car feel even faster when you've been driving around in something slow for a couple of weeks. :shock:
tim

Post by tim »

When I had multiple cars, and now I have multiple motorbikes, what I do is, I just buy them and get on with my life.

I did consider making a 5 hours youtube video about it, but I didn't.

Next week: how do people cope with two televisions.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

That's basically it of course Duncs. I tend to just mosey around in the Panamera in terms of the day-to-day then also enjoy longer trips in it. So I can just mosey around in a 1 Series (new or new-ish, reliable, cheap to run) and get done what the Porsche already does for daily duties, then drive something more enticing on those longer trips to Suffolk or South Wales every couple of months. If I don't buy a second car, I'll end up spending £50k in total on something new and 'all the bases' via finance so yeah, the idea appeals.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Always good to have a second car for when the first one breaks :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

tim wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:08 pm When I had multiple cars, and now I have multiple motorbikes, what I do is, I just buy them and get on with my life.

I did consider making a 5 hours youtube video about it, but I didn't.

Next week: how do people cope with two televisions.
This is a car forum Tim, to discuss choices, decisions and options. You're a miserable cunt sometimes :)
tim

Post by tim »

Sometimes? Damn. I must work on that.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

TWO cars ? Madness.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

tim wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:08 pm Next week: how do people cope with two televisions.
subscribed.

I only have one so I’m interested.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

duncs500 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:00 pmI guess it depends what you're into to some extent, if you like the type of car that suits day to day use like a modern 911 then I understand doing that if you can afford it. I also get the arguments that it means you're always in the right car in those magic moments when the traffic evaporates and you find yourself in the twisties.
This is definitely a new problem that comes with multiple car ownership :lol: A lot of my longer journeys are mixed, so boring motorway to get there which is a grind in a hot hatch, but by god there’s some decent roads at the other end. I had it the wrong way round once, I drove the Mustang up to the lakes in proper GT fashion and spent the last half an hour trying to get it through an off road course to get to the accommodation. I slid off a rock face at one point because the passage between the rocks was slightly narrower than the axle and so the car was raised up on one side to get through but thankfully no damage to the wheels or tyres 8-)

F-Pace turned up 6 weeks after that, that’s replaced the hot hatch as the every day car with a bit of fun and it’s so much better at everything than the Focus ST, probably just as fast 99% of the time too but importantly The Jag is 99% less annoying to drive.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

I have as many as I can get away with.

Currently that's three. I keep a vague eye on when their various annual bills are due. They each get as much use as I can give them. Currently, for two of the three, that's basically zero.

edit: In terms of their style/comparison with each other, they are what I can get away with. A fast coupe that is practical enough that I can also carry the family in it (otherwise it would get less use than it does now). A small hatchback for autosolos and targa rallies as it's cheaper, safer and more of a laugh than doing track days.
Left over crest; tightens.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Two cars, four bikes here.

I just put reminders in the calendar for servicing/MOTs (where applicable) DD the tax monthly, and have multi car/bike policies for insurance. If you can afford it why let logistics get in the way, buy what you want and get on with enjoying them.

That said, with the lockdown ruining my chances of summer trackdays, and driving in general, I am considering getting shut of the trackbike and Civic again, and consolidating those into something else.
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

As someone who owns 4 1/2 cars and lives 5 min walk from London Bridge in a flat, without a parking space, it's lack of use on a car that depreciates that takes any enjoyment out of the ownership.
At the end of last year, despite enjoying my M140, it had basically become a £600pm street ornamant, to the point that I lent it to a mate for a month as it was never being used. I'd originally had visions of clearing the finance keeping it long term, but got rid of it in December and spent the equity on other stuff.

We need a modern family car, so that stays, but the other four (three Land Rovers and a 1275GT) are either depreciation-free or slight appreciators, so the costs are in the hundreds rather than thousands each year, unless major maitenance or restoration is required.

I always forget at least one m.o.t for a few months every year...
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

I've frequently had two cars, just ...because.

However it's quite an expensive approach if both cars on the depreciation curve. Things like Elise's and Caterhams which cost pennies to run/insure are fine, plus solid residuals to boot. My Elise for example cost about £60/year to keep on the road (tax/insurance/basic service).

But things like Boxsters, 911's, Evora's and the like alongside something new+practical can really start to add up over the year and I did start to realise I could run something really interesting as a daily for about the same cost.

Plus owning 2/3 cars can be a faff with sorting out the insurance and services multiple times per year.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Jimexpl wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:19 pm As someone who owns 4 1/2 cars and lives 5 min walk from London Bridge in a flat, without a parking space, it's lack of use on a car that depreciates that takes any enjoyment out of the ownership.
At the end of last year, despite enjoying my M140, it had basically become a £600pm street ornamant, to the point that I lent it to a mate for a month as it was never being used. I'd originally had visions of clearing the finance keeping it long term, but got rid of it in December and spent the equity on other stuff.

We need a modern family car, so that stays, but the other four (three Land Rovers and a 1275GT) are either depreciation-free or slight appreciators, so the costs are in the hundreds rather than thousands each year, unless major maitenance or restoration is required.

I always forget at least one m.o.t for a few months every year...
Where do you keep them out of interest? Presumably not all on the street.