Tool purchases.

jamcg

Re: Tool purchases.

Post by jamcg »

Rich B wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:10 pm I went back to a cabled circular saw - I found they only worked with the big 5ah batteries and even then didn’t last too long. I had several occasions when doing heavy sawing jobs (boarding loft, cutting thick worktops, etc) that the battery died and because I don’t have lots of the big batteries I had to wait for it to charge.

I happily use batteries for most other hand power tools though - stuff like the recip saw is great because it’s the sort of tool you need when you’re away from a power scourge). Even my strimmer is a ryobi battery one too!
It still comes down to using the correct tool for the job, I don’t even have a corded circular saw any more, mine gets hammered taking up floorboards, cutting 20mm wall panels and the odd bit of worktop.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

teacherboy wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:06 pm I have a bunch of Ryobi one+ stuff
Combination drill/hammer drill/driver
Impact driver
Impact gun with proper 1/2 inch head
Reciprocating saw
The larger of the 3 inflators that they do - does car tyres to specified pressures on one side of compressor but also has attachment on other side to inflate and deflate airbeds/beachballs etc.
48v cordless lawnmower - needs some tlc as part of the handle broke
Strimmer

Coming today - the ergo screwdriver with the interchangeable heads for right angle and offset work - i lost my 4v screwdriver in house somewhere and couldn't find it so treated myself for my brithday this week :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also have a bunch of halfords pro stuff - have broken sockets from it and got a no quibble swapover - can't recommend enough
A 4 volt screwdriver? Did I read that correctly? 4 volts?! A ladies happy stick must have more oomph than that :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

jamcg wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:13 pm
Rich B wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:10 pm I went back to a cabled circular saw - I found they only worked with the big 5ah batteries and even then didn’t last too long. I had several occasions when doing heavy sawing jobs (boarding loft, cutting thick worktops, etc) that the battery died and because I don’t have lots of the big batteries I had to wait for it to charge.

I happily use batteries for most other hand power tools though - stuff like the recip saw is great because it’s the sort of tool you need when you’re away from a power scourge). Even my strimmer is a ryobi battery one too!
It still comes down to using the correct tool for the job, I don’t even have a corded circular saw any more, mine gets hammered taking up floorboards, cutting 20mm wall panels and the odd bit of worktop.
yeah, if I was anything more than a DIYer I’d invest in more batteries and a big multi charger unit.

Saying that, has anyone tried the “fake” 5ah batteries you see advertised?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:22 pm
Impact driver
Reciprocating saw
The larger of the 3 inflators that they do - does car tyres to specified pressures on one side of compressor but also has attachment on other side to inflate and deflate airbeds/beachballs etc.
Strimmer

Coming today - the ergo screwdriver with the interchangeable heads for right angle and offset work - i lost my 4v screwdriver in house somewhere and couldn't find it so treated myself for my brithday this week :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also have a bunch of halfords pro stuff - have broken sockets from it and got a no quibble swapover - can't recommend enough
A 4 volt screwdriver? Did I read that correctly? 4 volts?! A ladies happy stick must have more oomph than that :lol:
Don’t judge all women by your mum.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Foz

Post by Foz »

240v minimum rev? :lol:
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Foz wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:11 pm 240v minimum rev? :lol:
3 phase
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

She hangs out by the Tesla supercharger. 150kw baby.
How about not having a sig at all?
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Not done much buying, but have done some refurbs:
Couple of hatchets
https://photos.app.goo.gl/R1Gv5jmgiXFqfavFA
https://photos.app.goo.gl/R3Um1tdrkNYUskvx5
Couple of heavy hammers
https://photos.app.goo.gl/oeZvEin9YvkHpVuZ6
(lovely weight to those BTW 8-) )

Also repaired my big concertina rivet gun, an old mains drill, and an air-powered DA, as well as showing the small MIG welder a bit of cosmetic love (new tip, shield etc).

Oh, and re: Rich's question on fake batteries, not a 5aH, but I bought a £10 eBay special for my old Makita a couple of years ago and it was absolutely fine.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Just ordered a 52cc 2 stroke brush cutter 5in1 thingy. Chain saw, circular saw, strimmer, brush cutter and hedge trimmer. Also some extensions and a shoulder harness.

Lots of hedges to trim later this year and some overhanging trees to prune back. This'll be just the ticket!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192553377157
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I want an impact driver that can undo wheel bolts. Do I need to by one of the 1/2 inch type or will the other ones do it? I have Ryobi One Plus stuff so it will be one of them.

https://www.direct-powertools.co.uk/ry ... 2x17772163

https://www.direct-powertools.co.uk/ry ... 2x24116186
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

The drive size doesn't really dictate anything here, but impact sockets are more readily available in a 1/2" drive. You shouldn't use standard sockets (especially 12-points) with anything impact related.

I still use a corded impact driver for stuff as you get plenty more N m, which for things like a crank pulley you really need. I do really like the OnePlus stuff though.

Cheers,
Jon
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Impact sockets for wheel bolts will be 1/2” so definitely go for the larger one.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

OK, I didn't realise I needed different sockets too. Any recommendations?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

It will need to have a 1/2" drive. The ones with a 6mm hex drive for quick release bits are just glorified screwdrivers, most won't touch a properly torqued up wheel bolt.

You're supposed to use proper impact sockets with impact drivers ( usually coloured black ) but I've used normal sockets and not died yet.

You can get a set of three wheel bolt impact sockets for about £10 on eBay / amazon if you don't want to fork out for a full set.
Cheers, Harry
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I have a full set of Wurth sockets that are black and are the 1/2 inch drive. I think they will be strong enough.
mik

Post by mik »

Zonda_ wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:16 pm I want an impact driver that can undo wheel bolts. Do I need to by one of the 1/2 inch type or will the other ones do it? I have Ryobi One Plus stuff so it will be one of them.

Out of interest - for whys? I totally get it if it’s your business, but I use an old torque wrench to remove stubborn bolts - never had one beat me yet - and a wheel brace to spin them off. Impact driver (why the fuck did they give it exactly the same name as an existing but different tool?) would be cool, but I don’t remove wheels often enough to make it pay? :?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Impact drivers are impact screwdrivers and usually have a hex fitting, impact wrenches replace a ratchet / wrench / breaker bar and have a square drive.

Hth.
Cheers, Harry
mik

Post by mik »

integrale_evo wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:52 pm Impact drivers are impact screwdrivers and usually have a hex fitting, impact wrenches replace a ratchet / wrench / breaker bar and have a square drive.

Hth.
Yes. But look at the links above.

Impact Drivers are one of the best tools evah.
teacherboy

Post by teacherboy »

Zonda_ wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:16 pm I want an impact driver that can undo wheel bolts. Do I need to by one of the 1/2 inch type or will the other ones do it? I have Ryobi One Plus stuff so it will be one of them.

Got both - larger one for wheel nuts, smaller for decking etc.
teacherboy

Post by teacherboy »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:22 pm
Impact driver
Reciprocating saw
Strimmer

More control than an impact driver or combi drill - plus smaller and lighter than those, decent ones have a surprising amount of usable torque so often don't need to pre-drill a pilot hole either.