Subscription to EVO

Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Subscription to EVO

Post by Gavin »

Yup, after subscribing since I think 2001, around June of that year. I know from previous threads on the subject many others have done the same but the last few months seem to be just of no interest.

I sat down with the new edition and it is just a whole edition on Italian Supercars. I have never really been a fan of Italian metal but even Long Termers was a wank piece on Harry's old Zonda so well over a million quids worth.

I did like the short bit on Martin Brundle and will probably look for his autobiography but that and letters and that was pretty much it. Even the Editor's foreword read like a shitey holistic meme.

Bah, humbug etc.

Any suggestions on a decent MTB mag or is Octane still around?
Zonda_

Re: Subscription to EVO

Post by Zonda_ »

The Ferrari supercar article, F40 etc is a repeat isn’t it?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Dennis has cut 25% of it’s workforce

I suspect the mag’s not long for this world...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Just flicking through, in the Ferrari supercar test they refer to Optimax, definitely a repeat.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

#275 is my last one. A nice round number to finish the collection off-on.
Cheers,

Mike.
Richard

Post by Richard »

I guess the test is to unsubscribe, then see how often you end up buying a copy from smiths or whatever
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Zonda_ wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:19 pm Just flicking through, in the Ferrari supercar test they refer to Optimax, definitely a repeat.
A general pondering, what are the lead times on drives and how much has lock down prevented new content?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Ascender wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:45 pm #275 is my last one. A nice round number to finish the collection off-on.
275 isn't a round number.

I've been subscribing for longer than I can remember, but I don't think I'll bother when it expires, the quality just isn't there anymore, has been in decline for years.

Not finished the current issue, but Richard Porter's column was an astonishing piece of rubbish. A one page rehash of the history of Ferrari/Lamborghini but set in Macclesfield with stupid names. Incredibly lazy and not worthy of the magazine.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Jesus guys, they’re putting out a mag with all the struggles that entails currently, have the temerity to repeat some content and you lay into them? Sorry but I think you’re being unduly harsh.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I've got no issues with a repeated/rehashed article in the current circumstances. But the quality has been falling for years. Print and paper quality is down, articles lack the quality writing from when HM was in charge and the amount of spelling mistakes that are creeping in is silly.
---
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

No, don’t agree. Paper quality for a monthly around the £5 mark is still pretty good. As I’ve said before, compare it to Car, which is truly awful. Car’s content redeems it, but only just.

As for the writing, Meaden, Bov, Cacthpole, Barker and on occasion, Vivian are regular contributors. And you say the writing has dropped from when Harry was in charge? Those were the writers when he was in charge. Or you saying their quality has fallen? Don’t agree. And Adam Towler’s stuff is pretty good too.

I wasn’t keen on the mag when they ditched the community but I’m glad I stayed with them because it remains, for me, the definitive read. Evo and Car would be the two I wouldn’t want to lose.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:41 pm Paper quality for a monthly around the £5 mark is still pretty good. As I’ve said before, compare it to Car, which is truly awful.

That may be but nobody ever questioned the price rises over the years while the quality remained and, yes, it's better than Car, but it's writers complain about the paper in the mag :lol:
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:41 pm No, don’t agree. Paper quality for a monthly around the £5 mark is still pretty good. As I’ve said before, compare it to Car, which is truly awful. Car’s content redeems it, but only just.

As for the writing, Meaden, Bov, Cacthpole, Barker and on occasion, Vivian are regular contributors. And you say the writing has dropped from when Harry was in charge? Those were the writers when he was in charge. Or you saying their quality has fallen? Don’t agree. And Adam Towler’s stuff is pretty good too.

I wasn’t keen on the mag when they ditched the community but I’m glad I stayed with them because it remains, for me, the definitive read. Evo and Car would be the two I wouldn’t want to lose.
I'm saying the quality of the writing has dropped. The old hands are generally still delivering quality (although not consistently), but a lot of the newer staff members haven't got the writing chops. That's partly skill and experience, but also editorial. I fully understand that they're under pressure but writing and high quality pictures is the core of the magazine. Cut that and there's not much left.
---