Coronavirus

duncs500

Re: Coronavirus

Post by duncs500 »

Sounds like they're softening some of the import rules as a result of C19, but I fear the virus and Brexit is a perfect storm of disaster. Here's hoping I'm wrong.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

duncs500 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:49 am Sounds like they're softening some of the import rules as a result of C19, but I fear the virus and Brexit is a perfect storm of disaster. Here's hoping I'm wrong.
It’s the perfect excuse for Brexiteers. Phrases such as “You can’t possibly blame the state of the economy on Brexit, don’t you remember coronavirus?” and “since Brexit in 2020 all the economy has done is increase, it’s helped us out of the impact of the virus” will be heading our way in the future.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

You're probably right, you would imagine when the rest of Europe bounces back much quicker it will be pretty obvious, but there's always a way to spin the numbers.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Orange Cola wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:56 am
duncs500 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:49 am Sounds like they're softening some of the import rules as a result of C19, but I fear the virus and Brexit is a perfect storm of disaster. Here's hoping I'm wrong.
It’s the perfect excuse for Brexiteers. Phrases such as “You can’t possibly blame the state of the economy on Brexit, don’t you remember coronavirus?” and “since Brexit in 2020 all the economy has done is increase, it’s helped us out of the impact of the virus” will be heading our way in the future.
Sounds about right... unfortunately.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

duncs500 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:47 am No surprise, but the economy is in tatters on the basis of the figures released this morning. Going to be a long road to recovery. :(
Very fecking long if they don't get kids back in school anytime soon. I genuinely don't think they understand the consequences of the schools situation.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:29 am
duncs500 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:47 am No surprise, but the economy is in tatters on the basis of the figures released this morning. Going to be a long road to recovery. :(
Very fecking long if they don't get kids back in school anytime soon. I genuinely don't think they understand the consequences of the schools situation.
Is that because people are looking after children rather than working? Or have I missed something?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Orange Cola wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:54 am
Is that because people are looking after children rather than working? Or have I missed something?
There’s a learning gap between the top performing and lowest performing kids that’s been closing for years. Estimates are this has set Education back at least a decade.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

NotoriousREV wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:56 am

There’s a learning gap between the top performing and lowest performing kids that’s been closing for years. Estimates are this has set Education back at least a decade.
I’d missed that. Wow. I didn’t realise such big improvements have been made.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Exactly that. Many won't be able to actually go back to work/full time work if they're having to stay at home with kids. How can you kick start the economy with half the workforce unable to work as they normally would?

And as Rev says, we're storing up a monumental mess for future generations of children and the future workforce as well.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Does anyone have figures that show spread of this v protests? Especially in the USA which is why the stock market tanked yesterday?

Also do you think there will be BLM v Thugs on London's streets this weekend? That will help lots :roll:
Last edited by Broccers on Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

It’s a bit too early to tell for the UK. Give it another week or so.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

As you say, no surprise, though now they've been announced the FTSE is going up again because they're no longer just predicted so the uncertainty is gone.

But only 20% down in April, a month when virtually the whole country was told to stay at home? When even the supermarkets say their trading was down due to limiting numbers of customers? When entire sectors of the economy (leisure, food and drink, tourism) were forced to shut down completely? Doesn't sound too bad to me in that context, and you'd assume May is going to be better than April.

The rent quarter day on 24 June will be the killer blow to many businesses though, so that's going to be more telling for the future than today's figures.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:19 am
The rent quarter day on 24 June will be the killer blow to many businesses though, so that's going to be more telling for the future than today's figures.
Any savvy landlord should help their tenants after all who is going to take their place? Something is better than nothing in my book. I honestly feel more upbeat about business now, it's just the media banging on about misery.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

As you say, no surprise, though now they've been announced the FTSE is going up again because they're no longer just predicted so the uncertainty is gone.

But only 20% down in April, a month when virtually the whole country was told to stay at home? When even the supermarkets say their trading was down due to limiting numbers of customers? When entire sectors of the economy (leisure, food and drink, tourism) were forced to shut down completely? Doesn't sound too bad to me in that context, and you'd assume May is going to be better than April.
Maybe you're right, just looked a big number to me, but there's not really anything to compare it to so it's hard to judge.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Broccers wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:27 am
Any savvy landlord should help their tenants after all who is going to take their place? Something is better than nothing in my book. I honestly feel more upbeat about business now, it's just the media banging on about misery.
There’s always the group of tosser landlords who just don’t give a shit, it’s a contributing factor to the dying high-streets up and down the country where the landlords just hike the rent up and then shops sit empty :(
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Orange Cola wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:40 am
There’s always the group of tosser landlords who just don’t give a shit, it’s a contributing factor to the dying high-streets up and down the country where the landlords just hike the rent up and then shops sit empty :(
Youre absolutely right however I would imagine Landlords havent had to suffer something like this, ever. Got to bend.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I had hope at one point that this would lead to a change in mentality among the people who hold all the money but all the talk now is just to go back to the unsustainable system we had whatever the consequences.

I’d like to be proven wrong though.
An absolute unit
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Times have changed, years ago in Covent Garden you’d have bidding wars to occupy shops, not so now and with landlords having to pay business rates after 3 months they’d get around it with short term renting - hence a sudden proliferation of pop up stores around the area. Now they’re having to offer a few months free as an incentive just to avoid it being a liability so I’m sure there will be discounts and such.
How about not having a sig at all?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

I was pleasantly surprised by 20%, as more than 20% of the country was shut down
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Any savvy landlord like, say, INTU?