Project Redneck

NotoriousREV

Re: Project Redneck

Post by NotoriousREV »

Orange Cola wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:45 pm Are the mods mapped to the mullet growth?
My hair grows like the lacquer coat of paint on the bonnet these days. A mullet is but a dream.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

We could have a whip round for a wig? If we get enough we could stretch to the velcro implants so it doesn’t blow off in the wind.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

One of the things that needs fixing in my car is the dashboard top, which is badly cracked. You can buy them new in the US for $600 plus shipping etc. I found one on ebay that was in Yorkshire, advertised as being for a Camaro or Firebird. It turns out that they’re not interchangeable despite looking identical and it’s from a Firebird. The real shame of it is that its in almost perfect condition. I’m going to stick it on ebay in the US and possibly make a profit.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Orange Cola wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:01 am We could have a whip round for a wig? If we get enough we could stretch to the velcro implants so it doesn’t blow off in the wind.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:33 am One of the things that needs fixing in my car is the dashboard top, which is badly cracked. You can buy them new in the US for $600 plus shipping etc. I found one on ebay that was in Yorkshire, advertised as being for a Camaro or Firebird. It turns out that they’re not interchangeable despite looking identical and it’s from a Firebird. The real shame of it is that its in almost perfect condition. I’m going to stick it on ebay in the US and possibly make a profit.
Have a look at Stackry for shipping, the Mustang clan use it a lot for large car parts. You take a risk but they let you mark your own value on the goods too.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

So 2 weekends running I’ve been out for decent drives in the Camaro and it runs brilliantly. Using the autobox properly to hold it in 2nd and 3rd gives loads more control (proper engine braking) and I’m really enjoying driving it. I need to fix the steering as it has too much free play (I’ve adjusted the lash on the steering box which hasn’t cured it), and the brake pads are on their last legs. But otherwise it’s not bad at all.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

The gearbox has just shit itself. I was cruising along and all of a sudden there were plumes of smoke out of the back and no drive at all. I’m hoping it’s just an oil hydraulic line that’s popped. Fluid is pissing out and is all over the underside and rear bumper.

If it’s fucked, then it’s an excuse to start on the LS swap earlier than planned.

Just waiting for the AA to send a flatbed.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:19 pm So 2 weekends running I’ve been out for decent drives in the Camaro and it runs brilliantly. Using the autobox properly to hold it in 2nd and 3rd gives loads more control (proper engine braking) and I’m really enjoying driving it.
That'll be what's done it :(

I hope it's minor to fix, then again I hope it isn't 8-)
mik

Post by mik »

Buggar. :?
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Balls.

Aren't yank auto boxes pretty simple and therefore cheap to rebuild ?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

:x
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Carlos wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:33 pm Balls.

Aren't yank auto boxes pretty simple and therefore cheap to rebuild ?
There’s a bloke in the UK that will do a full rebuild of a 700R4 box for £850, apparently. A T-56 6 speed manual is about double that.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Are these a rear transaxle as opposed to gearbox straight off the engine?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

This is turning into a habit Rev, you can’t keep breaking cars and threatening to put an LS in them! 😉

Fingers crossed it’s the simplest, cheapest fix to sort this one!
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

jamcg wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:37 pm Are these a rear transaxle as opposed to gearbox straight off the engine?
These are normal tranny hanging off the back of the engine.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Rich B wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:15 pm This is turning into a habit Rev, you can’t keep breaking cars and threatening to put an LS in them! 😉

Fingers crossed it’s the simplest, cheapest fix to sort this one!
I’ll do it one day!
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Can you get the box off without taking the engine out? If you have to pull the engine then you might as well have an LS ready to go straight in, it’s so much easier when you can stand in the engine bay to make the mods required to transplant an engine. You’d get the swap done pretty quick.

;)
mik

Post by mik »

So what LS is on the potential menu then? I’m guessing cammed LS3. Probably the cheapest way to 480+ cuddies?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

mik wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:10 pm So what LS is on the potential menu then? I’m guessing cammed LS3. Probably the cheapest way to 480+ cuddies?
Probably a 5.3 truck motor. They’re $500 and make over 400bhp with just a cam swap.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
mik

Post by mik »

I stoopidly assumes you’d be buying a new one. Which wouldn’t really make much sense.

I j’approuve. You may continue.

So - out of interest/ignorance : what is the version designation. Since LS1 = 5:7, LS2 = 6.0 and LS3 = 6.2z