Shed thread

Mito Man

Re: Shed thread

Post by Mito Man »

Years ago it was planned to just be a standard oak framed garage similar to this
Only thing is you start going for a custom size and it’s suddenly not worth it. Main issue was that the small tractors are over 2.3 metres high which won’t fit in a standard height garage.
How about not having a sig at all?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I attempted to tidy my shed up this weekend.

This involved rolling the golf back, and the fiat out so I could use the carport to pile the stuff in. The heap was pretty incredible to be honest, somehow filled all the space with only half the contents of the shed. I had been masterfully tetrising stuff in for ten years 😂

I managed my main objective of moving my tool chest from the far end where I couldn't get to it so nothing ever got put away to on the side by the door, used a piece of old worktop to make a bench next to it for split level storage so things aren't stored in massive piles which makes it a nightmare to get anything out or put anything back.

I don't seem to have made much more room, but the space I have is more useful, and I don't risk serious injury trying to step over all the 'stuff' just to get in.

Plus the side I haven't yet sorted is gradually starting to clear as things get put into the tool box and storage boxes.
Cheers, Harry
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

mik wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:04 pm Interested to see this. At some point in the not-too-distant I hope to build a shed approx 6m x 4m. Would rather build something sturdy myself (with sprogs) than pay someone, or go for a shipping container instead....
I too will be doing something similar. We have an odd shaped area between the garage and the boundary hedge that has an old summer house in it. I want to make something to completely fill the space.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

I’ve not got a shed anywhere near as impressive as Mitos, it’s just a small 5ft 10” thing which came with the house. I’ve dragged the missus out to clear some of her crap out of it (her suggestion) and I’ve repaired the lock and put some hooks up which has meant I can make it look vaguely organised (bar her remaining stuff).

I can fit a bike in there now, I’m very pleased!
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Tarted up my rotten old shed.

There’s also this mini-shed (aka playhouse) I did a couple of years ago. https://photos.app.goo.gl/CsxKFr38jAYUAxzf1

The better roof felt (£30 or so a roll) is worth it IMO. The cheap stuff is way too easy to tear so make a small mistake when fitting and it’s knackered.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

With the lockdown relaxed it was good timing for us as we could go and cut a few more trees for the top row of logs.
Anyway that’s all the crap backbreaking work done thankfully. Should be easier from here forwards and no more time consuming notches.
It’s all nice and tight right now but the wood will shrink so I reckon the gaps will be such that you can stick a finger in them once it dries - much like a 2018 Tesla :lol:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Looks great, and a really good project too. I’d love to have the resources to mill timber!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Not much progress this week, made all the trusses and only got one up as the brackets I ordered from screwfix a week ago never arrived.
Should have dry weather for a while so will be nice if we can quickly get a roof on it once we get some brackets.
mik

Post by mik »

What size is it Dave?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The base is 8x5 metres. Peak height will be 3.65 metres.
mik

Post by mik »

Sounds about right for me. Are you building to a “pre-fab” plan? And what is the idea for doors/windows/lights/sauna/mobile disco?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Pretty much, it was all designed meticulously as everything was dictated by the length of my trailer and the length the sawmill could cut to as well as the height of the tallest item that will be parked there. In the end there was a 5cm margin to make it all work.

Nothing fancy inside, it is just storage for small agricultural vehicles and other such equipment. Just a few LED lights and power sockets. Polycarbonate windows along the top left. Doors aren’t a priority right now, they’ll be wooden doors with windows in the top.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Nice gallows, are you tall items just tall in the middle then?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Very jealous of that, it’s lovely 8-)

I wired up my garage this last week so will pop some pictures up, all going well.

Dave!
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:35 pm the goats were destined for slaughter but now we have a big space we can accept a lot more in so whenever the smallholder has a goat she doesn’t want we will adopt it. They’ll also do a good job of clearing the 30 degree bank filled with brambles.
8-)
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

jamcg wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:09 am Nice gallows, are you tall items just tall in the middle then?
Yes, the rollover bar on the Kubota is the tallest item so really it’s tailored for this
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Getting a touch of mower / garden tractor envy.

Still damn handy combined with a length of chain to drag felled beaches to the bonfire heap 😎
Cheers, Harry
Richard

Post by Richard »

Mine is a bit sad compared
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Nice and tidy though!
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man