Talented Audi Drivers

Swervin_Mervin

Re: Talented Audi Drivers

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Simon wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:29 am
Jobbo wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:38 pm Simon, would 100mph have been ok? What about 200mph where legal in Germany?

There’s nothing innately dangerous about speed alone.
200mph in Germany? Well watching AutoTopNL's vids on YouTube regularly, I can see that the Autobahns are hugely different to the motorways here. Much straighter, flatter and with less undulations.
Not IME they're not. On the unlimited sections I've been on there are plenty of sections that have curves no different to over here and plenty with undulations. It was such undulations that put paid to us finding out the true top speed of a 605 V6 :lol: :shock:
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

On the off chance there's anyone else not on twitter who's unable to see the first vid;

GG.

Post by GG. »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 12:25 pm
Jobbo wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:38 pm Simon, would 100mph have been ok? What about 200mph where legal in Germany?

200mph in Germany? Well watching AutoTopNL's vids on YouTube regularly, I can see that the Autobahns are hugely different to the motorways here. Much straighter, flatter and with less undulations.
Not IME they're not. On the unlimited sections I've been on there are plenty of sections that have curves no different to over here and plenty with undulations. It was such undulations that put paid to us finding out the true top speed of a 605 V6 :lol: :shock:
This is true. Some derestricted sections are also dual carriageways and not three lane motorways. Its the lane discipline that is different. You have to expect someone might be doing 150mph before you pull out.

It isn't that Brits are necessarily ignorant morons (though that can often be the case) but you are entitled to assume in the UK that someone is not doing 150/200 in the outside lane and therefore people act accordingly.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 12:25 pm

Same here.

Legalities aside there are plenty of sections of road over hear I'd much rather vmax a car on than a lot of autobahn.

The vast majority of autobahn is busier than in that clip, only two lanes, and filled with polish truckers who are big fans of a last minute dive into the fast lane.

At least on a three lane section in the uk you don't have to worry too much about errant truckers.

If anything bad did happen, i.e. Major mechanical failure, I'm not convinced that two hands on the wheel is going to make a massive difference to your final trajectory either.
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

There’s basically only a handful of stretches of autobahn where journalists and enthusiasts wanting to hit 200+ can try, I think a major one is just outside of Frankfurt otherwise the roads are just like here or worse. I wouldn’t say German drivers are extra aware either, or maybe they are and don’t give a crap. They will pull out on you when there’s a speed differential of 50 mph quite happily. Seems standard behaviour as no one gets mad about it whereas here you get a a dawdler go into lane 3 at 60 mph and some BMW doing 80 will go nuclear :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

The main difference is the German will pull back in so you can get on your way yep in the uk they'll sit there dawdling because there's something three miles away they might be going 1mph quicker than and need to overtake :lol:
Cheers, Harry
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

GG. wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 12:51 pm
It isn't that Brits are necessarily ignorant morons (though that can often be the case) but you are entitled to assume in the UK that someone is not doing 150/200 in the outside lane and therefore people act accordingly.
Nobody is entitled to assume they can pull out without looking properly, no matter what you might believe. I’m surprised you even posted that.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The pull out method is very risky and unlikely to work!
GG.

Post by GG. »

Jobbo wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 1:25 pm
GG. wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 12:51 pm
Nobody is entitled to assume they can pull out without looking properly, no matter what you might believe. I’m surprised you even posted that.
I didn’t suggest they could pull out without looking properly so I’m quite surprised you posted that.

To look adequately in a scenario where it is possible someone might be doing 200 in the outside lane at a speed differential of 130 mph would involve scanning the rearwards horizon for any tiny speck which could potentially slam into you at high speed. No-one does that as it is not proportionate or necessary in the UK.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Orange Cola wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 12:23 pm What the fuck has he down to that RS3 to get it up to those speeds?

(I also wouldn’t be surprised if it was stolen)
Probably not a lot. The M140i will hit 160 with ease and plenty left in the tank and that's only 360hp.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

McSwede wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 4:29 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 12:23 pm What the fuck has he down to that RS3 to get it up to those speeds?

Probably not a lot. The M140i will hit 160 with ease and plenty left in the tank and that's only 360hp.
It’s got to be tuned though, especially with the rare at which it was putting that speed on. Sounds like it doesn’t take much to get the power out of it that’s needed then?
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Orange Cola wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 4:37 pm
McSwede wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 4:29 pm

It’s got to be tuned though, especially with the rare at which it was putting that speed on. Sounds like it doesn’t take much to get the power out of it that’s needed then?
That's the joy of these modern turbo engines. Anywhere from £300-£2000 gets you some serious extra power.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’m surprised it’s geared high enough to hit that, being a turbo. Don’t the new M5/M6 only go to 190 delimited? RS6 only does 190 too iirc so some of it is the speedo overreading.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Mito Man wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 5:30 pm I’m surprised it’s geared high enough to hit that, being a turbo. Don’t the new M5/M6 only go to 190 delimited? RS6 only does 190 too iirc so some of it is the speedo overreading.

M140i for reference Max's out in 6th still with revs and another 2 gears. 7th is geared for 210mph 😂
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Looking further into it I think they just have very long final gears so they all hit roughly the same aero limit unless you’re running very big power. There’s a 1000 bhp F10 M5 which has apparently hit 214 mph.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Standard mid 90s e36 m3 will hit 170+ if delimited, from a standard production family car. It'll certainly get up to 150 on the speedo with not a huge run up. Doesn't surprise me at all that some of the quick modern stuff will do much more.

Chasing economy figures means tall cruising gears. Most sporty stuff could hit 200mph+ given enough power.
Cheers, Harry
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

At that speed the speedo would be best part of 20mph out by design.

BMWs limited to 155 will hit 170+ before the limiter interrupts.

As regards the driver in the video, he certainly isn't switched on to the task at hand 😂 Moron.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Carlos wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 7:30 pm At that speed the speedo would be best part of 20mph out by design.

BMWs limited to 155 will hit 170+ before the limiter interrupts.

As regards the driver in the video, he certainly isn't switched on to the task at hand 😂 Moron.
We set the UK cars to bang on 10%, the same system in another market, eg US, is set to a different tolerance. I’m not saying that’s what everyone else does but it wouldn’t be a million miles away, so I’d agree with that. 180 is still fooking fast though, and an RS3 should be able to hit at least close to that out the box with just the limiter removed. I guess it’s modified but not as much as I thought it was.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

None of my cars (which I've used a GPS satnav on anyway ) have been 10% out, even the e30 wasn't that far out. Alfa and merc are both 2-3mph out at 70.
Cheers, Harry
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

integrale_evo wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:01 pm None of my cars (which I've used a GPS satnav on anyway ) have been 10% out, even the e30 wasn't that far out. Alfa and merc are both 2-3mph out at 70.
Indeed. Mine only over reads a similar amount