Your lockdown purchases.

GG.

Re: Your lockdown purchases.

Post by GG. »

Was doing ok until today (apart from work from home related items such as an office chair), but have just splurged on a second hand Devialet Expert 120 amplifier.

Not too bad in reality though as selling the old amp (and a couple of other old bits of hifi I have hanging around) will cover most of the cost. Was a mere 35% of RRP as well so a bit of a bargain really.

Will be interesting to see how this compares to the Unison Research Secondo I'm using now. Chalk and cheese in design philosophy (tube pre-amp section A/B power amp for the Unison and fully digital domain A/D amplification for the Devialet).

My room has some pretty horrible room modes being a near square so I was desperate for something with tone controls to see if I can offset some of the bass boom at around 85hz that really upsets the balance. The Devialet also supposedly has a legendary control on low frequencies and clever speaker matching tech so can't wait to see what difference it makes.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I went from a Musical Fidelity amp with tube pre-amp to a Marantz class D (cheaper, as you might imagine) and I really like the class D presentation. It doesn't ever seem sluggish, the power reserves are excellent and it feels like it has the best of class A and class B rolled into one.

I imagine the bottomless power reserves of the Devialet are part of its clever speaker matching tech.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Hifi here too, well, AV if you're going to be picky. On a total whim a s/h Marantz SR7012 to replace my Sony STR-DN1080.

The Sony's been fine but has always niggled slightly in the way it does stuff. Not in the acoustics, in the UX. And Spotify doesn't work properly on it. So yesterday I thought feck it, and bought something with a nice symmetrical fascia instead :)
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I bought a cover for the barbeque. That's how exciting it is!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

A new garage door (electric insulated roller, natch)
A Porsche 928
Some Steam games
A gaming headset for conference calls
A Karcher WD4 Vac for the astro-turf.
Some new patio furniture.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

DeskJockey wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 3:57 pm I bought a cover for the barbeque. That's how exciting it is!
Snap. Despite the daily deliveries at the door the only tat I appear to have ordered is a new cover and a couple of different types of briquettes.

Why my wife thinks she and the kids need so much more clothes I don't know lol
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

DeskJockey wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 3:57 pm I bought a cover for the barbeque. That's how exciting it is!
Snap. Despite the daily deliveries at the door the only tat I appear to have ordered is a new cover and a couple of different types of briquettes.

Why my wife thinks she and the kids need so much more clothes I don't know lol
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

A wireless headset for my laptop...

So now, during my daily 2 and 3 hour workshops, I can get up and make coffee... or take a piss with only worrying about muting audio and not worrying about my web cam accidentally coming on...😬😂
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

dinny_g wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:08 pm A wireless headset for my laptop...

So now, during my daily 2 and 3 hour workshops, I can get up and make coffee... or take a piss with only worrying about muting audio and not worrying about my web cam accidentally coming on...😬😂
I saved someone from embarrassment the other day. They switched from their laptop speakers/mic to their wireless headphones which unmuted them without them realising. Luckily our internal Teams/Skype equivalent allows you to remotely mute people. I heard breathing and scratching about so muted him, just as he was getting up for a piss. He thanked me profusely privately when he realised :lol:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

:lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

A couple of bamboo plants.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:27 pm

I saved someone from embarrassment the other day. They switched from their laptop speakers/mic to their wireless headphones which unmuted them without them realising. Luckily our internal Teams/Skype equivalent allows you to remotely mute people. I heard breathing and scratching about so muted him, just as he was getting up for a piss. He thanked me profusely privately when he realised :lol:
The best thing is the ability to mute the noisy folk.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I've been using my mobile phone as a speaker and mic whilst working from home and it's a pain in the arse with background noise and worrying if my son in the next room is about to start teabagging someone on the Xbox !

Any recommendations for a wired headset with mic for mobile phone use and zoom etc ?
Last edited by Carlos on Thu May 14, 2020 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Zonda_ wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:34 pm With the money I'm not spending going to the pub or on fuel I'm currently browsing Boxsters...
How much do you drink? :shock:

I've not bought owt yet.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

When you mute someone, does it mute them for everyone on teams?
Last edited by Rich B on Thu May 14, 2020 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Haven’t used Teams so don’t know. When I last used Zoom you couldn’t mute people at all, I don’t think.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Delphi wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 4:52 pm A Karcher WD4 Vac for the astro-turf.
We're contemplating some when we finally do the patio. Had it long? Any good?
Left over crest; tightens.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Rich B wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:50 pm

Yes it does.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Orange Cola wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:42 pm

Yes it does.
excellent - I’d been doing it without realising then. Ta
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Yes. It provides constant amusement. Teams is great fwiw.