Lockdown cookery thread.

mik

Re: Lockdown cookery thread.

Post by mik »

Can’t see your image Nef - on iPhone or laptop.
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

JonMad wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:51 am That's a serious amount of curry going on there Nef, and top side dish action!
I've never made pilau rice. Just do steamed rice all the time now I found a way to get it right every time. We also have a rice cooker but it's not as nice as you get some crispier bits on the bottom with that.
Lazy pilau - soak and wash rice, drain, add turmuric cardamon and salt, add boiling water 1/2" above rice level in bowl, microwave for 9 minutes. Meanwhile, fry onions and mushrooms, add coriander, black mustard seeds and a bay leaf. Add cooked rice and stir through.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

mik wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:13 am Can’t see your image Nef - on iPhone or laptop.
WTF? I used the same direct link method as the pics in the other thread. And *some* people can see.

Am I doing something stupid with Google Photos?
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
mik

Post by mik »

‘It’s bizarre!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I can see the pic.

Must be an Id10t issue for the user... ;) :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
mik

Post by mik »

I am stoopid across multiple platforms :(

Last edited by mik on Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

My missus has been experimenting with making her own curry spice mixes so we’ve been eating a lot of dhal and veggie curries.

I’ve been having a great time :lol:
An absolute unit
mik

Post by mik »

I just received a 2nd kg of rib meat.... but I didn’t order or pay for this one. :?

3 bottles of sauce in there too (all variants I don’t have) .... have contacted RibMan but the meat can only travel once. Guess he might want me to send the sauces back (?)
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

mik wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:51 am I just received a 2nd kg of rib meat.... but I didn’t order or pay for this one. :?

3 bottles of sauce in there too (all variants I don’t have) .... have contacted RibMan but the meat can only travel once. Guess he might want me to send the sauces back (?)
Or offer to pay?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Nefarious wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:15 am
JonMad wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:51 am That's a serious amount of curry going on there Nef, and top side dish action!
I've never made pilau rice. Just do steamed rice all the time now I found a way to get it right every time. We also have a rice cooker but it's not as nice as you get some crispier bits on the bottom with that.
Lazy pilau - soak and wash rice, drain, add turmuric cardamon and salt, add boiling water 1/2" above rice level in bowl, microwave for 9 minutes. Meanwhile, fry onions and mushrooms, add coriander, black mustard seeds and a bay leaf. Add cooked rice and stir through.
Cool. I can do my rice in the pan with the spices then. One measure of washed rice in the pan. Two measures of boiled water. Stir once, put lid on, let it simmer until all liquid has gone (when tilting the pan). Turn off heat. Let it sit with some kitchen towel over it for 7 mins to collect the steam. Voila! - fluffy rice.
Left over crest; tightens.
mik

Post by mik »

DeskJockey wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:55 am
mik wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:51 am I just received a 2nd kg of rib meat.... but I didn’t order or pay for this one. :?

Or offer to pay?
Yep.

I have an open bottle
Of HolyFuck in teh fridge, and now the unopened collection is this (although 2 are intended for my BIl - haven’t been able to pass them on due to lockdown)

unzippy

Post by unzippy »

He’ll tell you to keep them.

I’m still waiting to have a go on the wing sauce, my last shipment still hasn’t arrived😶
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
mik

Post by mik »

Or offer to pay?
Wow. So it turns out this was an apology for sending the wrong sauce months back, and running out of what I had ordered before he got round to correcting iit for me. :shock: He’d originally offered to refund me - which sounded very fair.

So having bought a grand total of 1kg of meat and 4 bottles of sauce from him, his apology is 1kg of meat and 3 bottles of sauce. I’d have to say I’m rather pleased with that. 8-)
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

mik wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:57 pm

Or offer to pay?
Wow. So it turns out this was an apology for sending the wrong sauce months back, and running out of what I had ordered before he got round to correcting iit for me. :shock: He’d originally offered to refund me - which sounded very fair.

So having bought a grand total of 1kg of meat and 4 bottles of sauce from him, his apology is 1kg of meat and 3 bottles of sauce. I’d have to say I’m rather pleased with that. 8-)
Blimey! Clear win for you.
---
mik

Post by mik »

mik wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:10 am
Buffalo tonight. 8-)

Very tangy - totally different to the HolyFuck. Didn’t leave enough time to properly marinate, but proper butchers chicken breasts (not the water-pumped supermarket crap) were slathered in the sauce for 30mins, then seared in a v hot pan before oven baking.

Soft taco shells, mix of onions, garlic and peppers fried together, bit of cheese, in with the chicken (sliced) and some guacamole & soured cream.

Didn’t take any pics, but ‘‘twas YUM! 😎
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

That sounds good. 8-) I'm quite partial to tangy hot sauces
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

mik wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:13 am Can’t see your image Nef - on iPhone or laptop.
Weirdly they've disapeared for me too this morning?!

Mrs made curry yesterday, primarily out of a jar but for her curries are a WIP. I did make the naan myself though which was great.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Homemade burgers (and baps) yesterday. Added wild garlic and rosemary and they were lush.

Less good were the Horse Parsley (aka Alexander shoots). Recipes suggested steaming and serving with butter and lime. Nobody liked them. Very floral and perfume-y flavor with odd hints of carrot (same family of plants) and parsley. We tried it.
---
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I’m going to have to get in on this Rib Man thing...

Which is the mildest of the sauces to get started with??
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
mik

Post by mik »

https://theribman.co.uk/collections/sauces

> HolyFuck = Mildest
> Christ On A Bike
> Holy Mother Of God
> Judas Is Scarey Hot = hottest

But then he had other sauces now with specific focus, so I don’t know how they rate. I’d say Buffalo is similar in kick to HolyFuck.

He’s stocking the online shop at 5pm tonight. Friday night he put up 200kg of rib meat and it sold out in 8mins, so if you are interested - set an alarm on yer phone. 😊