Home haircuts

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Home haircuts

Post by Rich B »

I have one of these, https://www.shavers.co.uk/remington-hc ... gLShvD_BwE

I use my phone to see the back of my head and it does a decent job. Takes about 10 mins, then another few minutes to get the bit you missed when you catch your reflection in a different light....!
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

If I manage to do a decent job on mine I might stick with it rather than paying £15 a time at the barbers!
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

My facial hair is as pathetic as a young teenagers, so I've never let it grow before. Seeing as I don't need to look presentable for a while I've decided to let it grow to see how awful it becomes!
Brannen

Post by Brannen »

Thought I might grow my hair, see what happens. It was cut fairly short a couple of weeks a go, but it doesn't last very long for me. I've got some clippers, but I'm not willing to try cutting my own hair. That opinion may change, but I'll see how I cope.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Wife did mine a week ago, not too bad a job, just an £11 set of wahl clippers from Tesco, nothing flash
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Zonda_ wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:57 pm If I manage to do a decent job on mine I might stick with it rather than paying £15 a time at the barbers!
i do my beard at the same time, though I have had a beard for about 12 years!
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I wet shave my head every other day and trim my beard back to 18mm every 2-3 weeks. At the moment though a colleague and I are just letting ours grow until lock down ends.
Beany

Post by Beany »

With this and the chocolate/fridge thread, I think the cabin fever has proper kicked in on the forum.

Also, just buy a cheap trimmer and shave it down to about half a centimetre.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Beany wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:18 pm With this and the chocolate/fridge thread, I think the cabin fever has proper kicked in on the forum.

Half a centimetre? Fucking hippy!
mik

Post by mik »

Beany wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:18 pm With this and the chocolate/fridge thread, I think the cabin fever has proper kicked in on the forum.

You shave your chocolate? :?
Beany

Post by Beany »

Zonda_ wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:36 pm

Half a centimetre? Fucking hippy!
I've not managed go much further than that, I don't think I can pull off a proper skinhead look, and I'd be waaay too lazy to maintain it.

Mik - you don't? :?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I tried to do my crack but it’s hard spreading and shaving at the same time, a 3 hand job if I’ve ever seen one, then I went too low and nicked the old scrotum. Bloody mess.
How about not having a sig at all?
Peterlplp

Post by Peterlplp »

You're all doing it wrong:

V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Mine was cut about a week before the lockdown, it doesn’t grow that fast and I just trim my beard when it gets a bit scraggly.

I had it properly shaped once at a barbers and looked like a tart so do it myself now.

I expect a weird 70s hair revival from everyone in a month or two.

Dave!
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Top, top tip using clippers - you can use the guides down as well as up (i.e. with the direction of hair growth, as well as against it). Seems obvious, but I didn't cotton onto this for years. It gives a much less aggressive "tidy up". On my beard I use a No.6 downwards for the middle, a no.3 upwards for the sides, and the bare blade to do the edges/undercut. 90% of a pro cut (just can't do the tapering of the 'tashe the same as they do with scissors(

Also, when using scissors, the simple technique is - wet the hair, comb it straight, use the width of the comb as a guide, move round temple to temple (round the back), taking off 1 comb's width at a time.

I'm quite smug about my snipping skills - I've done both of the girls' hair since we've been indoors, and my daughter has asked if I can carry on doing it after we're allowed out again instead of her usual £50 Charlie Miller job. High praise indeed :shock: 8-)
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Nefarious wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:51 am Top, top tip using clippers - you can use the guides down as well as up (i.e. with the direction of hair growth, as well as against it). Seems obvious, but I didn't cotton onto this for years. It gives a much less aggressive "tidy up". On my beard I use a No.6 downwards for the middle, a no.3 upwards for the sides, and the bare blade to do the edges/undercut. 90% of a pro cut (just can't do the tapering of the 'tashe the same as they do with scissors(

Also, when using scissors, the simple technique is - wet the hair, comb it straight, use the width of the comb as a guide, move round temple to temple (round the back), taking off 1 comb's width at a time.

I'm quite smug about my snipping skills - I've done both of the girls' hair since we've been indoors, and my daughter has asked if I can carry on doing it after we're allowed out again instead of her usual £50 Charlie Miller job. High praise indeed :shock: 8-)
Please tell me you do a pre ship air snip just like a real hair dresser ?

Dave!
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

V8Granite wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:12 am Please tell me you do a pre ship air snip just like a real hair dresser ?
No, but I do affect an effeminate lisp and ask a lot about holidays ;)
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Gok Wan will insist you go on his team once this all blows over 😎

Dave!
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

I have clippers and used to cut quite a few mates hair to save beer money. My wife, son and daughter all have flowing locks and no cutting experience.

My daughter wants to cut my hair and dye it blue...

My hair essentially grows in to an afro as it is incredibly thick but it has receded somewhat so I swither between the Hobo look and getting it just down to the wood which I did for years quite happily...

I do hope we all plan to put any pictures of trims up? (Apart from Mito)
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

Finally. This is my time. Having hair down between my shoulder blades is coming into its own! I do not give a fuck about haircuts during lockdown! :cool: