Coronavirus

ZedLeg

Re: Coronavirus

Post by ZedLeg »

Oh totally, I’m still working from home at the moment.

Trying to get my missus signed up for the personal independence payments etc has been a ball ache though.

Anyone hoping to claim anything directly from the government just now shouldn’t expect anything to happen quickly :lol:
An absolute unit
evostick

Post by evostick »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:25 am
Cunts round here complained about the council mowing the grass. The bloke’s sat in a tractor on his own, where’s the problem? I bet those complaining are the ones not isolating properly anyway.
I think it's just the usual inability for some to pull their head out of their own arse tbh.

Probably mentioned it before but a lot of my customers are elderly, live alone albeit in communal developments. It means a lot to them to see any semblance of life carrying on around them. A wave from a handsome, capable young man like me through a closed window can make their day.

Who would deny them that?.

The site manager (post menopausal and hates me) from one sheltered living development I've been doing for a few years has ordered me not to attend 'for a few weeks' even though I have no requirement to enter the building. She's now gone off on leave...The (quite tidy) gardens will go to shit very quickly at this time of year and it will only add to the misery of the worried old birds trapped in their flats, still paying their £900 a month service charge. I'm half tempted to just show up and do a shift but I'd probably lose the contract.
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

unzippy wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:32 pm
Nefarious wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:17 pm Am I missing something with the government financial support stuff?

Employees get 80% of their salaries
Self-employed currently under review and will probably get something beyond UC

What about the zero-hours people (especially in retail and hospitality), who've simply had their hours cut to nothing? They all seem to be getting FA, but I haven't heard anyone raising petitions etc as has been the case with the self employed ones
Also as I understand if you have a mortgage you can get a 3 month holiday? What about renters?

In Aus, so far all they've done is to allow you to access your pension early :roll:
Effectively, they have allowed rent holidays by banning evictions. If renters phone their landlords and say "have no money, can't pay", landlords have no option but to put it on the slate and sort out a repayment plan later.

I've been trying to divvy things up on the basis of need and ability to pay - IMO, there's little point forcing people into a mountain of debt that they'll struggle to pay off anyway. For those who have normally well paying jobs, I've just said "pay later" or offered small discounts, for those who'll struggle I'm saying half rent, to be paid after its all over.
Last edited by Nefarious on Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I’m in the conference call from hell. We’re 6 minutes in and the presenter has spent the entire time saying “...an y...hear me no...” repeatedly.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

+1
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

MS Teams is working pretty well for us, apart from the fact that our boss doesn't actually produce anything, so in order to keep himself busy just wants constant meetings, which is thus preventing the people who do produce things actually doing so. :lol:
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

evostick wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:39 am
NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:25 am
Cunts round here complained about the council mowing the grass. The bloke’s sat in a tractor on his own, where’s the problem? I bet those complaining are the ones not isolating properly anyway.
I think it's just the usual inability for some to pull their head out of their own arse tbh.

Probably mentioned it before but a lot of my customers are elderly, live alone albeit in communal developments. It means a lot to them to see any semblance of life carrying on around them. A wave from a handsome, capable young man like me through a closed window can make their day.

Who would deny them that?.

The site manager (post menopausal and hates me) from one sheltered living development I've been doing for a few years has ordered me not to attend 'for a few weeks' even though I have no requirement to enter the building. She's now gone off on leave...The (quite tidy) gardens will go to shit very quickly at this time of year and it will only add to the misery of the worried old birds trapped in their flats, still paying their £900 a month service charge. I'm half tempted to just show up and do a shift but I'd probably lose the contract.
A lot of the issues come from the way the statement on Monday was worded, even the itv news seemed confused. It said you could travel to work if it was essential and could not be done from home. As they were talking about traveling it was whether it was essential to travel, not whether you were going to work which was considered essential.

I'm sure most people would class being able to pay their bills and support their family as 'essential' so unless your business is closed you either work or don't get paid. You don't get the government grant unless the company has laid you off because they have been forced to close because of direct government orders or because of a lack of work due to the outbreak.

A lot of people at our site were complaining about the pest control man who walks around on his own letting his bird of prey scare the seagulls shouldn't have been here because it wasn't essential.
Cheers, Harry
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

duncs500 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:33 am MS Teams is working pretty well for us, apart from the fact that our boss doesn't actually produce anything, so in order to keep himself busy just wants constant meetings, which is thus preventing the people who do produce things actually doing so. :lol:
I've been using teams for the last couple of weeks and it's worked a treat. Great for catching up with the team, holding meetings or training. Good for morale too!!
Foz

Post by Foz »

So how longs the lockdown going to extend then folks?
3 weeks
6 weeks
24 :(
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Most video/team sharing products are pretty good at a basic level, it’s when people have shit WiFi or broadband at home and they’re trying to stream video and screen share that causes the most problems.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Foz wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:38 am So how longs the lockdown going to extend then folks?
3 weeks
6 weeks
All eyes on China. If they get a 2nd peak we could be in for a long lock down.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Beany

Post by Beany »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:41 am Most video/team sharing products are pretty good at a basic level, it’s when people have shit WiFi or broadband at home and they’re trying to stream video and screen share that causes the most problems.
This this this.

Also, wifi calling on yer mobile, just disable it - it's shit on almost all wifi signals IME.
GG.

Post by GG. »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:42 am
Foz wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:38 am So how longs the lockdown going to extend then folks?
3 weeks
6 weeks
All eyes on China. If they get a 2nd peak we could be in for a long lock down.
Debatable whether that would be workable though. If infections/deaths reduce to a low level (as they would with an effective lockdown) then the pressure to resume normal activities will be too great.

It also looks likely that you would have a lull of reduced transmission over the summer with lockdown in combination with warmer temperatures so if anything I would have thought we're likely to relax by May at the latest and then re-lockdown in the autumn if necessary - only time will tell though.

Also likely that relaxation would be gradual - monitor for a couple of weeks whether it starts spiking again before flinging open the floodgates and letting everyone drink themselves to death in celebration in the pub during the summer :lol:
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I’ve seen talk of cycles of lockdowns as a probable solution, so flatten each peak as it comes, with the primary focus on not swamping health care.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Beany wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:52 am Also, wifi calling on yer mobile, just disable it - it's shit on almost all wifi signals IME.
WiFi calling was literally the only way I could make and receive calls when I had an EE phone and it worked well 99% of the time. But then I have a decent WiFi setup.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:12 pm I’ve seen talk of cycles of lockdowns as a probable solution, so flatten each peak as it comes, with the primary focus on not swamping health care.
That seems the most likely outcome...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Beany

Post by Beany »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:14 pm
Beany wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:52 am Also, wifi calling on yer mobile, just disable it - it's shit on almost all wifi signals IME.
WiFi calling was literally the only way I could make and receive calls when I had an EE phone and it worked well 99% of the time. But then I have a decent WiFi setup.
Must be that literally everyone one had calls on it this week has been on Virgin media. Tell em to turn it off and it works fine :D
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

I have no mobile signal at home so everyone using Webex or Skype is a godsend.
Left over crest; tightens.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I haven’t heard from our director or GM all week and the rest of us just use instant messaging in google hangouts.

It’s been bliss :lol:
An absolute unit
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Jinxed it, just had a call with my GM about furloughing my assistant.
An absolute unit