Coronavirus

duncs500

Re: Coronavirus

Post by duncs500 »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:03 pm
Beany wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:48 pm
Matty wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:49 pm Taken out of context IMO. Probably rolling in to help with logistics, not to shoot anyone buying more than 1 bottle of milk.
Almost certainly.

Barry, I popped into Lidl tonight, it was like a shit 28 Days Later. Practically stripped bare, and everyone looking a bit frazzled.

Been in 4 supermarkets today just to see if I could get a feckin loaf of bread. :lol: yeah good one me. All stripped. Wtf is wrong with people? Even the 4yo started going on about loads of stupid people having been in. :D
Supermarket was bad when I went last Saturday, but took a stroll to the tiny village shop to buy fresh bread and it was well stocked with everything. A touch busier than normal, but I guess this is their time to shine.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Fucking hell, if I see one more post on social media who says they've been told by a friend in the forces that the whole country is going in to lockdown in the next 24 hours, by armed soldiers and tanks on every street corner, I'm going to see isolate myself permanently.
Cheers,

Mike.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Aye, my missus was showing me that yesterday, seemed like obvious bullshit.

In other news, after three days of working from home I’ve degenerated to the point I couldn’t be bothered getting dressed this morning :lol:
An absolute unit
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:51 am Aye, my missus was showing me that yesterday, seemed like obvious bullshit.

In other news, after three days of working from home I’ve degenerated to the point I couldn’t be bothered getting dressed this morning :lol:
You're clearly new to this working from home lark, so well done on levelling up.
Cheers,

Mike.
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

I live slap bang in the middle of Salisbury plain, surrounded by Army. No obvious mass movement here (in fact, I can hear tanks now on maneuvers still) and there's no gossip from the Army wives. Chances of them keeping quiet are zero.

I suspect it will only be central London on lockdown first. Rest of the country will follow after.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I'm sure the army will be asked to help, but I'm guessing that's going to take the form of just being more bodies for the NHS and emergency services, councils etc to call on maybe?
Cheers,

Mike.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

duncs500 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:33 am
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:03 pm
Beany wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:48 pm

Almost certainly.

Barry, I popped into Lidl tonight, it was like a shit 28 Days Later. Practically stripped bare, and everyone looking a bit frazzled.

Been in 4 supermarkets today just to see if I could get a feckin loaf of bread. :lol: yeah good one me. All stripped. Wtf is wrong with people? Even the 4yo started going on about loads of stupid people having been in. :D
Supermarket was bad when I went last Saturday, but took a stroll to the tiny village shop to buy fresh bread and it was well stocked with everything. A touch busier than normal, but I guess this is their time to shine.
I'm going to take a stroll into the village shortly to post some cards and will check out what the bakery has. Otherwise I'm off to the Smokehouse for some artisan sourdough at £20/loaf 8-)
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

Yes. More likely for labour rather than enforcement, stuff like helping with deliveries etc. I'm sure a few will be deployed to help the diminishing Police force though, as I bet there's a growing fear of looting when shops do finally shut.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Wouldn't surprise me if the army are asked to help, but tanks?

Yeah, just park a couple on the odd street corner ready to take down anyone who dares leave the house after 11pm 😂
Cheers, Harry
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Reasonable convoy of troop transports (maybe a dozen trucks) heading south on the M74 last night
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Nefarious wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:44 am Reasonable convoy of troop transports (maybe a dozen trucks) heading south on the M74 last night
EbHpXKr.jpg
EbHpXKr.jpg (69.2 KiB) Viewed 2197 times
Cheers,

Mike.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Do none of you read the news? Said this morning that the army will be used to aid police and mobilise resources.
I did see they used a picture of a bunch of tanks in a field - I’m assuming it’s just a stock photo, can’t see what good a tank will do just churning up the roads more.
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

Good for him.

ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:56 am Do none of you read the news? Said this morning that the army will be used to aid police and mobilise resources.
I did see they used a picture of a bunch of tanks in a field - I’m assuming it’s just a stock photo, can’t see what good a tank will do just churning up the roads more.
I’m a millennial, I get all my news from a twitter echo chamber :lol:
An absolute unit
Simon

Post by Simon »

Wife is just back from Sainsbury (just trying to do a normal shop for a few necessities). Shelves already stripped bare. I'm getting pretty fed up of the attitude of some people hoarding. They don't need to do it. The supermarkets have already communicated that they've plenty of stock coming in and people just need to buy normally and then there'll be enough to go around.

You know, it's at times like this that I just want to get off this planet.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Simon wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:38 am You know, it's at times like this that I just want to get off this planet.
:lol: Where the fuck you going to go ?
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Simon wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:38 am Wife is just back from Sainsbury (just trying to do a normal shop for a few necessities). Shelves already stripped bare. I'm getting pretty fed up of the attitude of some people hoarding. They don't need to do it. The supermarkets have already communicated that they've plenty of stock coming in and people just need to buy normally and then there'll be enough to go around.

You know, it's at times like this that I just want to get off this planet.
I don't get where all the toilet roll, pasta, handwash etc etc is going. There's been limits on all this since the beginning of the week, the supermarkets don't seem any busier than usual during normal hours, who the fuck has got it all?!

I keep muttering 'fucking wankers' to myself every aisle I go down :lol:
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:56 amDo none of you read the news?
I only come here for my news now, mainly from you.

Tanks! Tanks are cool aren't they?
Cheers,

Mike.
evostick

Post by evostick »

Went out to plant a few shrubs this morning. No fucker about, was quite pleasant apart from the drizzle.

BiL is medical director in a large hospital that until now has only done pre-planned operations which have now all been scrapped and his building are taking on all the A&E cases from 3 other other hospitals which have been cleared to cope only with virus patients. Apparently it's absolute mayhem and not going well.
His mrs is a GP and seeing an endless stream of patients with symptoms. She started at 7am yesterday and finished at 10pm absolutely burned out with it all.
I feel very sorry for the pair of them. Their jobs were stressful enough before all this shit hit the fan.

I've been temporarily laid off from one contract, health and safety grounds allegedly but I suspect it's budget related, other than that no problems work wise so far. I just hope that they let me keep going about my business and don't order me back home from the turret of a Challenger tank.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I really feel for everyone in the NHS and they have my utmost respect and gratitude, as always, but I can only imagine how stressful and exhausting this all is.
Cheers,

Mike.