Coronavirus

Simon

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Simon »

Yes, I think the site is a few hours behind the numbers. So 34.4% mortality then?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Barry

Post by Barry »

I think watching numbers is just a distraction at this point, they need to focus peoples attention on the reality - its here and taking hold, social distancing, limit movement where possible, and all the previous washing recommendations. Oh, and panic buying household items you don't need of course..
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Simon wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:17 pm Rev and Dave have it right. The point about a lockdown is that you stop the spread from one person to the other. If everyone who has it is contained and subsequently recovers then you effectively kill off the disease. Until you start social distancing you can't get a lid on it.
well you probably have to assume that everyone has it then, if it can be infectious with no symptoms, so then you need to stop any contact between anyone/everyone for say 2 weeks ? Then stop anyone else coming into the country after until every other country has proven to have done the same.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Avoiding social contact is they key here.

So basement dwelling neck beards will inherit the earth.

RECOGNITION AT LAST!
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Rich B wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:45 pm
Simon wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:17 pm Rev and Dave have it right. The point about a lockdown is that you stop the spread from one person to the other. If everyone who has it is contained and subsequently recovers then you effectively kill off the disease. Until you start social distancing you can't get a lid on it.
well you probably have to assume that everyone has it then, if it can be infectious with no symptoms, so then you need to stop any contact between anyone/everyone for say 2 weeks ? Then stop anyone else coming into the country after until every other country has proven to have done the same.
It’s the hidden infections that are the problem. South Korea had their shit under control until they had an asymptomatic super spreader. It being a global pandemic, I’d expect, if not a coordinated global approach, at least similar approaches as countries zero in on the best plans. We’re not there yet.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

But these are reported numbers - there could be thousands of unreported cases. Saying "out of 500 cases, 50 died" sounds pretty bad if only 500 of the 50,000 actually sought out medical attention?
Beany

Post by Beany »

Matty wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:02 pm But these are reported numbers - there could be thousands of unreported cases. Saying "out of 500 cases, 50 died" sounds pretty bad if only 500 of the 50,000 actually sought out medical attention?
A thousand times this. We aren't even talking representative samples here, just reported.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Which is why I said watching numbers is just a distraction to the general public now, it's giving a falsely low reading and by the time we realise it'll be too late. I'm hoping beyond hope that the Gov is actually listening to actual experts on this, but they have to balance the greater good, financial markets etc so I don't hold much hope for proper action until it's fully got hold.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Simon wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:19 pm
dinny_g wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:15 pm Any stats on recovery rates??

Numbers of people diagnosed, had a week of feeling shit and then recovered??

Could do with a positive story..
Click

Terrible for this country so far. Closed cases show 8 deaths and 19 recovered. That's a 29.6% mortality rate.
Surely that's because it usually takes 4-5 weeks to fully recover from?

I'm surprised the government didn't encourage more voluntary social distancing even if they don't want to actively enforce it yet.
Cheers, Harry
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Work have emailed to say that everyone who can work from home should do so until the end of March.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:54 pm Work have emailed to say that everyone who can work from home should do so until the end of March.
I am able to do this as is my wife to a certain extent but is there a benefit if your kids are still at school ?

I can't see it, may be waiting until half term is what they are intending ?
GG.

Post by GG. »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:54 pm Work have emailed to say that everyone who can work from home should do so until the end of March.
Same. Will be getting my shit together tomorrow and then WFH from then.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:15 pm Any stats on recovery rates??

Numbers of people diagnosed, had a week of feeling shit and then recovered??

Could do with a positive story..
If you look at the social media 'diaries' of people going through it, most of them are coping fine with it.

As Matty implies, if you die from it, you're definitely going on the number. Many (maybe even most) without significant symptoms won't get tested, so won't go on the number. As such, mortality rate will be significantly lower than the numbers indicate.
evostick

Post by evostick »

I had the misfortune os watching ITV news at ten last night. For whatever reason they had decided to really notch up their END_OF_THE_WORLD_ISNIGH rhetoric to 11eventy. Lots of 'world has changed forever today'..type of stuff. Proper fear-mongering.

The virus itself doesn't worry me. The effect that the mismanagement of the situation is going to have on everyone does. MSM should not be adding to the shitfest right now.

I shall be off to work as normal. I work outside, I don't come into contact with anyone most days anyway and don't have to so no risk of me spreading it. Most of my customers are quite elderly and I'm sure they'll be glad to see some element of the world going on as normal. Even if it's just some cunt mowing the lawns :lol:
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

evostick wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:58 am I shall be off to work as normal. I work outside, I don't come into contact with anyone most days anyway and don't have to so no risk of me spreading it. Most of my customers are quite elderly and I'm sure they'll be glad to see some element of the world going on as normal. Even if it's just some cunt mowing the lawns :lol:
Thats part of the issue - the elderly with gold plated pensions don't care much. When you are their age and have no option to be mowing lawns for youngsters to afford some bread and water then itll be a problem ;)
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

God bless you Tim, god bless you!

Dave!
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Beany wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:46 pm Avoiding social contact is they key here.

So basement dwelling neck beards will inherit the earth.

RECOGNITION AT LAST!
OUR TIME HAS ARRIVED!

I'd be absolutely fine with WFH apart from the kids still at school, karate gradings on this weekend and being out of contract at the end of March.
evostick

Post by evostick »

V8Granite wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:04 am God bless you Tim, god bless you!

Dave!
Cometh the hour, cometh the man Dave!

I just hope that they appreciate the extra effort I'm going to. I don't normally work on a Friday.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

They’ll probably just be pleased you won’t be in the hot pants like normal.

Dave!
evostick

Post by evostick »

V8Granite wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:35 am They’ll probably just be pleased you won’t be in the hot pants like normal.

Dave!
Not the season for those yet Dave!

Gold lame disposable overalls this time of year.