Your fleet running reports

RobYob

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by RobYob »

RobYob wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:08 am Clicked over 240,000miles on on the way home yesterday.
At low engine speeds the engine has started shunting like a bastid, so this weekend's job is to go hunting for a vacuum leak.
Vacuum leak not found, did however retrieve three pieces of disa valve :shock:
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Well that should sort out the oil consumption & clouds of smoke on startup.

My 7er is doing exactly the same.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Broccers wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:18 pm Guy says it might last 6 months. I'm all for trying it out.
If it fills and slowly leaks away it's likely that it's the compressor shaft seal, they shrink when the system is not used and then leak. As the system is not running when fill it will hold the vacuum for the required time and then fill. Had this in my navara, needed a new compressor.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

drcarlos wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:42 pm
Broccers wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:18 pm Guy says it might last 6 months. I'm all for trying it out.
If it fills and slowly leaks away it's likely that it's the compressor shaft seal, they shrink when the system is not used and then leak. As the system is not running when fill it will hold the vacuum for the required time and then fill. Had this in my navara, needed a new compressor.
It’s a Porsche. The condensers are rotten.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:30 pm Well that should sort out the oil consumption & clouds of smoke on startup.

I'd like to think it'd help the 1l/1000mile thirst for 10w40 but I haven't got my hopes up. I fear it's going to be a pig to drive this week or howver long a flexbay replacement takes to arrive.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

RobYob wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:00 pm
Sundayjumper wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:30 pm Well that should sort out the oil consumption & clouds of smoke on startup.

I'd like to think it'd help the 1l/1000mile thirst for 10w40 but I haven't got my hopes up. I fear it's going to be a pig to drive this week or howver long a flexbay replacement takes to arrive.
97% sure it’ll sort that oil thirst. I had exactly the same on a couple of BMWs before (E38 735i & E39 530i). Remind me what you’ve got ? Both were a bloody fiddly job btw.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:24 pm
RobYob wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:00 pm

97% sure it’ll sort that oil thirst. I had exactly the same on a couple of BMWs before (E38 735i & E39 530i). Remind me what you’ve got ? Both were a bloody fiddly job btw.
E39 530i, I had the intake apart 18 months ago to replace the oil separator which is what I thought was the cause of the oil consumption and the disa seemed ok then.
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

Lotus MOT

Failed on a dodgy track rod end. Replaced, car aligned and all feels good as new. New discs and pads have also restored confidence in the system. Emissions were apparently touch and go due tooto the EXTREME race cat, but getting it very hot seems to have done the trick.

New wheelbolt set fitted as well because I’m a tart.
mik

Post by mik »

What discs/pads did you go for?
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

Standard. Toyed with the idea of the SimplyLotus BBK but it’s twice the price and the standard set up isn’t really lacking.

All done by Craig, excellent service obvs.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Maurice wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:06 pm Standard. Toyed with the idea of the SimplyLotus BBK but it’s twice the price and the standard set up isn’t really lacking.

All done by Craig, excellent service obvs.
My abiding memory of a P-ride in an S3 was that the standard breaks were epic. They seemed like a leap forward from my S2.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Still undecided whether it’s pikey, or resourceful. Tyre rack from galvanised handrail. Main plus is that I can easily modify it to suit whatever I’m doing.

6C84D89D-3DCB-4B7F-B1DC-251D3E893554.jpeg
6C84D89D-3DCB-4B7F-B1DC-251D3E893554.jpeg (141.48 KiB) Viewed 2745 times
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Nothing wrong with redneck engineering. Joking aside, it looks like a great solution.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
mik

Post by mik »

Yep - looks good to me!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Looks fine - what holds them in place while you’re driving?
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:00 pm Still undecided whether it’s pikey, or resourceful. Tyre rack from galvanised handrail. Main plus is that I can easily modify it to suit whatever I’m doing.
Lack of triangulation gives me the heebie jeebies. That's a lot of tyres potentially going to come and say hello if you jam on the brakes. #redneckengibeering. How about some cable and turnbuckles?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

My only concerns would be that the little grubscrews holding the tubes in the ends might work loose with the movement and vibrations of the trailer.

I'd probably want to drill all the way through and use proper nuts and bolts.
Cheers, Harry
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

All fair points. It’s not finished yet.

Jobbo - I’ve still got 2x 2.5m lengths of tube left, I can put one right through the middle of the wheels and ratchet strap it down to the rack.

Rob - Front-back or side-to-side ? Or both ? The proper racks, which are welded of course, only have a relatively small gusset to brace the corners. I could replicate that with some plate & u-bolts.

Harry - that’s probably the main thing I was not sure about. Handrails are usually intended to be stationary, not bouncing along the motorway :) The corner pieces are pretty hefty cast items though so I’m not sure a bolt right through would actually clamp it down onto the tube. Might need to shim it out to make it an interference fit ? Or cut a slot in the casting so it can clamp down ? Fill whole joint with epoxy ??
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:36 pm Rob - Front-back or side-to-side ? Or both ? The proper racks, which are welded of course, only have a relatively small gusset to brace the corners. I could replicate that with some plate & u-bolts.
Both would be ideal but the largest force you're likely to generate is braking so the most useful for resisting that'll will be rearward bottom to foreward top.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Clk lights are now plug and play with no errors and all functions working.

Going to have to wait until next weekend now so I've got time to fit them in the day and then align them in the dark.

One still needs a polish too, it was very yellow, I couldn't find my sanding pad backing plate so gave it a whizz with a da to get the worst off.

Cheers, Harry