Your fleet running reports

mik

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by mik »

Even though the condenser doesn’t run constantly?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Broccers wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:01 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:58 pm
Broccers wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:30 pm Lovely!

Boxster needs both condensers replacing apparently. 450 sheets. Seems expensive.
Is that including fitting and regassing? Bargain if so.

It’s 3-4 hours labour (so £180 - £240), £200 for 2 condensers, o-rings, dessicator etc. plus £60 - £80 for a regas.

Just hope your fans work. Both of mine only work on stage 2. My indy reckons that running with the a/c on improves cooling because the fans run more often to cool the condensers so when your a/c isn’t working you’re not doing the motor any favours.
Maybe I'm being cheap. Let's try a regas first.
My regas lasted 2 days.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Guy says it might last 6 months. I'm all for trying it out.
Simon

Post by Simon »

mik wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:35 pm Even though the compressor doesn’t run constantly?
FTFY

Read what I said again ;)

In any car I've owned, turning the AC (read, compressor) on also turns on the fan, as drawing air over the condenser improves its efficiency.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
mik

Post by mik »

Simon wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:36 pm
mik wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:35 pm Even though the compressor doesn’t run constantly?
FTFY

Read what I said again ;)

In any car I've owned, turning the AC (read, compressor) on also turns on the fan, as drawing air over the condenser improves its efficiency.
It’s alright - it was a question as opposed to a challenge.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Bought some factory xenon headlights for the merc, the standard ones are terrible and the chrome coating is starting to corrode away from the reflector around the bulbs. New units are very expensive, so a secondhand set of xenons were picked up.

I'm going to have to do a careful bit of skirting around the mot refs and do some custom work inside them as a complete factory spec retrofit looks rather involved and complicated.

I.e. The xenons use electronic self levelling with a sensor at each corner, presumably with a control module somewhere. The standard lamps use a vacuum system for the manual level adjustment and the backs of the lights are completely different so you can't just swap them over.
Cheers, Harry
Nic

Post by Nic »

Broccers wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:18 pm Guy says it might last 6 months. I'm all for trying it out.
Go to ATS, they pressure test the system for leaks and if they can’t get the system working they don’t charge you. Also you’ll be able to find a coupon online to get the cost down under £40 for the recharge.
mik

Post by mik »

[mention]integrale_evo[/mention] So long as they are correctly set, I doubt the garage will even notice? Particularly if it is one you use regularly.

I fitted a stealth-HID kit to the VXR8. Made a huge difference and the pattern was good with a nice sharp cut-off. Thought I might have to swap back and forth for MOT but it was never raised as an issue.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I've bought a headlight switch panel which still has the wash and folding mirror buttons but doesn't have the manual height adjusted.

The regs say that if there is an adjusted it needs to work ( as do washers) but doesn't say you have to have them fitted

So yeah, as long as I set them sensibly I'm sure they'll be fine. It's not exactly a load lugger and don't think the manual adjusted has ever been needed anyway.
Cheers, Harry
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

A while ago I had this fitted

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Hand ... B07BR2ZZCY

The streaming worked great but the phone did not... at all. Various people said the head unit needed coding. This is not the case, the box itself was faulty. Anyway after a few emails the seller sent a new one which once swapped out this morning works perfectly. 200 quid well spent.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I would usually have just stuck an aftermarket hid projector into the stock bowls, however the way the indicator section cuts across the top would make it hard to install and look a bit odd.

Switch panel with all the buttons I need, without the one I don't need
Cheers, Harry
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

mik wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:26 am @integrale_evo So long as they are correctly set, I doubt the garage will even notice? Particularly if it is one you use regularly.

I fitted a stealth-HID kit to the VXR8. Made a huge difference and the pattern was good with a nice sharp cut-off. Thought I might have to swap back and forth for MOT but it was never raised as an issue.
I fitted a HID kit to the Monaro because you could barely tell the headlights were on with the standard bulbs.

After I sold it, the guy who bought it described it as “professionally fitted” on Pistonheads. I was happy with that because I spent a lot of time deciding where to put the ballasts and getting the wiring just right.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
mik

Post by mik »

”Oi no professionals!”

I said “I'm not a professional”.

He said - “you're not a profesional? ”

I said - “No”

He said ”well you should be. If I was you I'd take up Formula One HID installations, and if you mount your ballasts and tidy up your wiring like that you'd probably be the best in the country!”

I said - “I'm not interested, I used to make shit loads out of computers”
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

:lol:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

They say it takes 10,000 hours to become a professional. I’m proud that I’m a professional light bulb technician and I acquired my professional status upon completion of my first light bulb replacement 8-)
Line up ladies.
How about not having a sig at all?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

It takes 11,000 to change one Megane headlight bulb.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
scotta

Post by scotta »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:17 pm It takes 11,000 to change one Megane headlight bulb.
So true.

I found the easiest way was to remove the front bumper and headlight.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Plugged one side in and it all worked perfectly, plug and play, no errors etc.

Suddenly thought it was going to be very easy.

Plugged the other side in and nope, HIDs start flickering and bulb out warnings ( as the forums had predicted )

Connected up my spare hid kit, they work fine, no flicker, no errors so I'll stick with my original plan and run aftermarket HIDs in the factory housings.

Also can't find my drill attachment for my headlight polishing kit, gave them a go with my DA but they really need sanding back first.
Cheers, Harry
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Test drove a Shogun today. Pondering whether to go for a newer one for a bit more money (I had a look at 3 more at the same dealer) but on reflection I think I’m going to go for this one.

Photos etc when the deal is done; I’m home now and they’re shut tomorrow so not immediately.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Pukka ex-WRC wheels for The Compact.

B4522C25-FB8F-4C4D-950E-243DAC3F2842.jpeg
B4522C25-FB8F-4C4D-950E-243DAC3F2842.jpeg (115.79 KiB) Viewed 2527 times
6BAD50B9-F973-434A-A6D6-3C444B61DBEF.jpeg
6BAD50B9-F973-434A-A6D6-3C444B61DBEF.jpeg (76.89 KiB) Viewed 2527 times