The Watches Thread

Pete_

Re: The Watches Thread

Post by Pete_ »

I always forget to change the date when months had fewer than 31 days so it usually said the wrong date away! Because of that I was specifically looking for watches without a date function!
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Nice one Pete.
M235i
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Finally got around to sizing and fitting the metal bracelet I bought a couple of months ago. It is a chunky 26mm with no taper and it looks quite nice. Not a perfect colour match sadly, but close enough for me.

Only downside is that the whole thing now weighs 296 grams which will take a couple of days to get used to.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

DeskJockey wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:54 pm Finally got around to sizing and fitting the metal bracelet I bought a couple of months ago. It is a chunky 26mm with no taper and it looks quite nice. Not a perfect colour match sadly, but close enough for me.

Only downside is that the whole thing now weighs 296 grams which will take a couple of days to get used to.
26mm & nearly 300g? :shock: You John Cena?
M235i
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Alex_ wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:59 am
DeskJockey wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:54 pm Finally got around to sizing and fitting the metal bracelet I bought a couple of months ago. It is a chunky 26mm with no taper and it looks quite nice. Not a perfect colour match sadly, but close enough for me.

26mm & nearly 300g? :shock: You John Cena?
Not quite, but I've got big wrists.
---
mik

Post by mik »

Fooxache - I missed what watch you are fitting that to, but that is HEAVY!

Just weighed my Chris Ward C11 with the 22mm SuperEngII bracelet - which always feels pretty “chunky” and it is a mere 192g.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

My Vostok Europe Anchar is a massive heavy watch - and that’s 146g!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

mik wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:11 am Fooxache - I missed what watch you are fitting that to, but that is HEAVY!

Just weighed my Chris Ward C11 with the 22mm SuperEngII bracelet - which always feels pretty “chunky” and it is a mere 192g.
Invicta 4903. 52mm across, so quite big to begin with.
---
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

DeskJockey wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:06 pm
mik wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:11 am Fooxache - I missed what watch you are fitting that to, but that is HEAVY!

Invicta 4903. 52mm across, so quite big to begin with.
My 49mm Oris is a chunky thing but only 171g. Case and strap are titanium. Added lightness 😂
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

I hate it when dealers use the term "new-old stock NOS" when it isn't. You can tell the watch has been worn at least a few times. But it is quite rare to see a full set in great condition.
M235i
mik

Post by mik »

Posting in case anyone is interested in a quartz chrono.

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Quartz? QUARTZ?! *spits on floor in digust*
How about not having a sig at all?
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

I’m in love.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Maurice wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:13 pm Image

I’m in love.
My CEO has exactly the same watch.

One of my favourite Rolexes...
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Maurice wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:13 pm Image

I’m in love.
Nice. I love the Milgauss. But then I saw a Blaken version on a client and really want one: https://www.blaken.com/en/collection/mi ... 400GV-0001

In fact, his was a green viper:
mik

Post by mik »

[mention]Maurice[/mention] - very nice. Is there significance of the “lightning” second hand, or just a styling feature?
mik

Post by mik »

PS - [mention]Maurice[/mention] and [mention]Nefarious[/mention] - seems a long time since this....

John

Post by John »

mik wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:46 pm @Maurice - very nice. Is there significance of the “lightning” second hand, or just a styling feature?
The watch is anti-magnetic and I guess Rolex added the lightning bolt to emphasise the fact. I don't think some of the earlier models had it though.

Lovely watch 8-)
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

Mik - the Milgauss has, in essence, a Faraday Cage encasing the movement, and is as a result resistant to higher magnetic fields. It was originally developed in the 1950s and is sometimes referred to as the "scientist's watch" due to its use by scientists at CERN - hence the lightning bolt. Such anti-magnetic qualities were an absolute requirement given my highly dangerous line of work being sat at a desk all day.

I've been pining after a Milgauss for several years now, but earlier in the year decided that #YOLO and started looking more seriously into getting one. Initially I had discounted the Z-Blue dial, as most photos I had seen showed it having (to my eyes at least) a relatively insipid blue-ish green hue. I really liked the white dial, however this was discontinued, so the only real option left was the black dial. Seeing one in the metal had me all set, but something in the back of my mind told me I should look to check out the Z-Blue in the metal before making the decision. This proved really quite difficult to do, as they are currently as rare as rocking-horse shit, with rumours abound that Rolex soon might be discontinuing them. After trapsing round 6 different ADs over a few weekends, I finally found one who had one in stock.

All I can say is that I'm so glad I put the effort in to see one as no photo I've seen to date really does the face justice. The crystal has a green sapphire tint through it which give a very unusual "halo" effect when light hits it. The dial itself varies between very deep blue to a bright sunburst, again depending on the light. Below is indicative of how it looks in direct sunlight.

I'm fully aware it's not for everyone, and it seems to polarise opinion greatly, but to my eyes it has just the right amount of personality to make it stand out a little from the more traditional Submariners and Sea-Dwellers, without being too gaudy. I was completely sold at that point.

The bad news however was the one that I was trying already had a buyer, and the other ADs I approached told me the waiting list was apparently a year. I put my name on the list and didn't expect to hear anything for a good while. Luck was on my side however, as a week after I'd tried it, the AD phoned me to say that the buyer had pulled out, and given how gushing I'd been in the showroom, it was mine if I wanted it.

Heart ruled over head at this point - no doubt an incredibly silly purchase, but I absolutely do not regret it.

8-)