Post by nuttinnew »

nuttinnew

Re: 4 Paw Dog Drive Fleet running report

Post by nuttinnew »

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Dan is now off to become Best Guide Dog Ever and despite what I thought we'd agreed, we now have another Guide Dog Puppy.

This is "Dollar" (from a D litter, along with Dusty and, um, Dennis or something), he's 12 weeks old and is a little star. Didn't take him long to relax in to life and as he's pure retriever, he's already learning the "I'll do it in a minute" response to everything.

Ignore that last pic, they're definitely not allowed on furniture, but he's obviously been allowed to do that wherever he was before he came to us! But it was too cute not to take a picture of...

Last edited by Ascender on Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

Mike.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Gorgeous.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
mik

Post by mik »

Fantastic.

So how do you get involved in this? And what happens if they fail to make the grade in training? Do you get an option to keep them?
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

There's a couple of things Guide Dogs are always looking for.... Boarders, who can either look after dogs in training (so usually pups to 2 years old) for the weekend. Or who can board dogs full time and drop them off to training during the week. Hence you get a lot of older, retired couples doing this.

Puppy walkers get pups from about 7 weeks until they're ready to go for their final training at a local centre. That's what we've done for the last few years, Dollar is our fourth dog. You need to do the basic training with them (all Guide Dogs get trained with the same commands & rules) and get them used to normal life as part of a family, going to shops, out on public transport, coming to work with me etc.

Guide Dogs obviously pay for all food (all Guide Dogs get fed the exact same thing....) and vet bills. With your Guide Dog pass you'll also get some free local public transport and can take your dog shopping with you. When you're refused access to a store, or are walking on a busy street and people are not paying any attention, its a real insight in to just how it must be for a visually impaired person who relies on them day in, day out just to get around.

We volunteered because we have dogs, an outdoor lifestyle and very flexible working arrangements, so they've been a good fit for us.

If they fail, some dogs who fail will go on to other things - search and rescue, other services, but I think now most other services prefer to have their own breeding programmes (and needs). So it depends why they fail and they'll speak to the trainer about best options for them. They also need stud dogs and most Guide Dogs are cross breeds - so a dog marked as potential breeding stock, might not be the best candidate to be an actual Guide Dog - but if they get ruled out for breeding (which has happened to two of ours), that might also lead to them failing.

Jet failed because he was too stressed by the whole thing (the trainer saw him on day one in the centre and didn't think he'd make it), but as a pure-bred lab (very athletic build), he needed something to focus him, so we got first dibs on him because the trainer knows I do a lot of hill running and he's been perfect for that. He's a much more relaxed dog now...

I think wherever possible they do try and re-home them back where they came from.After Ben was knocked down, he came back to the UK for surgery and was then re-assessed but failed because he's now (predictably) scared of traffic. He come back and its amazing to see just how well trained he is and also his instinct to guide is still there on walks and even around the house, he's always by my side and making sure I get from room A to room B safely...

Bit of a long answer, but if any of it appeals, just get in touch with the Guide Dogs - they'll have local area coordinators who can advise. They are a charity and are always in need of volunteers - it was just a good fit for us, but it has spoiled the children who now expect to have a new puppy every 18 months or so.
Cheers,

Mike.
mik

Post by mik »

Thanks for taking the time to type that all in! Probably not feasible for us at the moment, but something we’ve wondered about in the past.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Bless em.

8-)
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

mik wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:30 am Fantastic.

So how do you get involved in this? And what happens if they fail to make the grade in training? Do you get an option to keep them?
Love it [mention]Ascender[/mention]

If I had one I wouldn’t be able to let it go when the time comes. :? :|
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

It is difficult, but just have to remind yourself that they're going on to change someone's life.
Cheers,

Mike.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Ascender wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:31 pm It is difficult, but just have to remind yourself that they're going on to change someone's life.
That's mega.

I miss our dog but have the fantastic memories.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Ascender wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:39 am
This is "Dollar", he's already learning the "I'll do it in a minute" response to everything.

:lol: 8-)

Good work sir, and good fun when it isn't work :)
scotta

Post by scotta »

jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Pictures of pups can never be too big
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Alphonso our cockerpoo is coming up 9 and absolutely bombproof so the wife has decided to get a pup now for a bit of him to rub off.

So Peggy is our good looking mongrel 😎
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

That's lovely scotta 8-)

Carlos, she'll have you trained in no time :P

I recentlyish met a 20mnth Poodle pup who was way more festive than most of the people milling about, at least until they met her happy, welcoming gaze and had her tail wagged at them. Also met a 7mnth Bernese Mountain dog pup, far from fully grown he was still a big lump. The lady he was with does an excellent job of bringing them up (she doesn't rely on their brilliant natural temperament), and seeing how gentle he was with a little girl who was no taller than he was sitting down was excellent. So calm and considerate even at that age, he'll be a fine friend.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

She's 12 weeks now and her recall is good enough to walk off lead already. Our old dog loves her and is a willing playmate for her which was a bit of a surprise.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Lovely.

We miss ours. I think looking after other peoples is the next best move.
mik

Post by mik »

8-)