SSO Blogs

Post by SSO »

Latest blog on Car Collecting just posted:

https://karenable.com/collecting-what-ive-learned/

Comments?
RobYob

Re: SSO Blogs

Post by RobYob »

Interesting to read. Although your continued character assassination on the mind bendingly gorgeous XJR-15 is regretable :lol:

Is there any one who loves driving, and all practicalities aside, not love a mid-engined over any other configuration?

If I'd studied dynamics and such I could probably make a pertinent point about polar moments 'n yaw gain 'n stuff like that.
SSO

Post by SSO »

RobYob wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:57 pm Interesting to read. Although your continued character assassination on the mind bendingly gorgeous XJR-15 is regretable :lol:

Is there any one who loves driving, and all practicalities aside, not love a mid-engined over any other configuration?

If I'd studied dynamics and such I could probably make a pertinent point about polar moments 'n yaw gain 'n stuff like that.
The XJR-15 is mind bendingly gorgeous and it is mind damaging to drive.

On the mid vs other confines, there is a group that loves big front engine V12s and then those that like having the engine hung off the back of the rear axle.
mik

Post by mik »

Were any of the front-engined jobs classed as front-mid-engined? Interested to know if that made any difference.

As I've noted before, due to the 2+2 configuration, the Evora has almost identical weight distribution to a 911 but yeah - not sure I would want my next fun-car to be a fronty? :?
Last edited by mik on Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I definitely think I’d struggle to pull together my ideal fleet at any one point and not end up with too much crossover between vehicles. Definitely an interesting read.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Great read. And interesting as I have been musing (dreaming) whether a Rapide, or maybe a Panamera, might be practical enough to be considered family-useable.
Left over crest; tightens.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

JonMad wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:35 am Great read. And interesting as I have been musing (dreaming) whether a Rapide, or maybe a Panamera, might be practical enough to be considered family-useable.
Unless you’re rich enough to actually not give a shit about cost/damage/security, using something like a Rapide for family life just sounds like a recipe for stress.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

mik wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:39 pm Were any of the front-engined jobs classed as front-mid-engined? Interested to know if that made any difference.

As I've noted before, due to the 2+2 configuration, the Evora has almost identical weight distribution to a 911 but yeah - not sure I would want my next fun-car to be a fronty? :?
I suspect, but don't know enough about vehicle dynamics to be certain that even a mid-front engine configuration would be compromised in "feel" over rear-mid because of where the centre of mass and the centre of yaw are located.

In a rear-mid the big mass of engine can be located closer to your arse than in a mid-front where it has be be out somewhere beyond your feet.

Even weirder shit happens what dynamics gurus try to tune engine mounts to get that mass of powertrain to enhance perceived dynamic behaviour. For a road car you don't necessarily instantly want the PT mass moving "in phase" with your chassis, or something, I lose track of their conversations at that point :oops:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

There’s probably a reason why every racing series which had free rules on engine location eventually moved to a mid engine layout.
How about not having a sig at all?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Good read as always
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

NotoriousREV wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:41 pm I definitely think I’d struggle to pull together my ideal fleet at any one point and not end up with too much crossover between vehicles. Definitely an interesting read.
Aye I'm the same. I know that if I had a lot of money to put into a collection I'd end up with a lot of big front engined cars. Be it muscle cars or European & Japanese sports cars and saloons. I'd also end up with loads of cars in bits as I try to "improve" them :lol:.
An absolute unit
Holley

Post by Holley »

For me 'time' would also be a crucial factor on what collection I would buy. I wouldn't get much time during the working week, so it would be a car I'd love to drive at the weekends. However, my wife and kids hate being driven fast, so it's how much time I'd realistically spend going out on my own. Out of interest, would your collection be different if your other half had no interest in driving?
scotta

Post by scotta »

Rich B wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:45 am
JonMad wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:35 am Great read. And interesting as I have been musing (dreaming) whether a Rapide, or maybe a Panamera, might be practical enough to be considered family-useable.
Unless you’re rich enough to actually not give a shit about cost/damage/security, using something like a Rapide for family life just sounds like a recipe for stress.
Absolutely. Imagine taking that to Tesco’s. I’d be panicking the whole time I was away from it about it getting Dinked,Scratched, nicked.
SSO

Post by SSO »

mik wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:39 pm Were any of the front-engined jobs classed as front-mid-engined? Interested to know if that made any difference.
I believe the 599 GTB would qualify as front mid. It didn't make a difference.
SSO

Post by SSO »

Panamera would likely be family useable but don't think the rear seats on a Rapide are going to make you too many friends.
mik

Post by mik »

scotta wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:27 pm
Absolutely. Imagine taking that to Tesco’s. I’d be panicking the whole time I was away from it about it getting Dinked,Scratched, nicked.
I’d be totally calm. It’s just an old Skoda.
scotta

Post by scotta »

mik wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:48 pm
Rich B wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:45 am Unless you’re rich enough to actually not give a shit about cost/damage/security, using something like a Rapide for family life just sounds like a recipe for stress.
You're thinking of your actual Skoda...
Simon

Post by Simon »

mik wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:48 pm
Rich B wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:45 am Unless you’re rich enough to actually not give a shit about cost/damage/security, using something like a Rapide for family life just sounds like a recipe for stress.
I held back, but you had to go there didn't you?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
mik

Post by mik »

I'd take a Panamera Shooting Brake over a Rapide. The Aston doesnt look quite right to me.
scotta

Post by scotta »

mik wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:04 pm I'd take a Panamera Shooting Brake over a Rapide. The Aston doesnt look quite right to me.
Agreed but in the grand scheme it would be hard to go Shooting brake over an RS6.