The Weather Thread.

nuttinnew

The Weather Thread.

Post by nuttinnew »

Formerly Tonight's Sky.

The ongoing storm is awesome. I can't think when or if I've ever seen such widespread lightning, or heard so much rolling thunder. As far as I can see in any direction there's something happening and has been for at least the last half hour, with constant if sometimes distant thunder. The last rumble wasn't so distant and ended up coming through the house rattling windows as it went. The rain has picked up. Again. I think the storm is making it's way across and up the country and I think it's arrival somewhere will roughly tie in with high tide. Y'know, just to try and guarantee flooding.

Lotus people, this is an excellent photo op. Don't think too much about location and composition, simplify and add lightning.

Full moon is on the 29th and is called Flower Moon.
dinny_g

Re: The Weather Thread.

Post by dinny_g »

Mad storm over Milton Keynes now.

Hail the size of grapes...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Heard some rumbling in the distance at 2am but don't know if it arrived as I was asleep. Bright and sunny when I woke up, did think at one point I might have to pack my stuff up as it went quite dull and heavy but nothing arrived.
Cheers, Harry
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Nothing around Teesside, in fact it’s been gloriously sunny :)
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

I've seen a new word in tonight's forecast; thundershowers. The air feels primed, few clouds and a clear moon with Jupiter next to it*. A local weather station is reporting it's 19 degrees feels like 24.

* http://earthsky.org/tonight/moon-jupite ... 27-28-2018
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

It's having another good go now. Not quite to the same level as t'other night but much more that way than not.
It's coming down that hard that in the middle of the road the rain is running uphill.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Correction; it's now raining at least as hard as the other night, though with a bit less boom & flash.

I'd say there's now a greater volume than before judging from the flow down the road. Not great weather for ducks, they'd get washed away...or settle on the flooded patio.

#foglightwankers
GG.

Post by GG. »

Lashing it down here in London too now. Pretty much twilight levels of darkness. Given we had two bank holiday weekends with (thunderstorm on Saturday excepted) glorious weather probably means we're in for the biblical 40 days and 40 nights of rain to even out the disturbance in the force.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Am feeling pretty fed up with forecasters. Both Sunday and Monday were set to be raining, so we didn't head off to the beach as a result. Both days ended up being bright and dry, and the day was wasted. Can't they get a simple thing like 'rain' predicted correctly?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
GG.

Post by GG. »

Frustrating isn't it. Did a similar thing and canned a trip to a nice pub with beer garden by the river on Sunday as it was supposed to be peeing it down. It was cloudy to be fair but still 20+ degrees.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Got Ron Haslam Race school tomorrow afternoon. Been on my list of things to do in life for years - looks like rain :( :( :(
Simon

Post by Simon »

Broccers wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 1:32 pm Got Ron Haslam Race school tomorrow afternoon. Been on my list of things to do in life for years - looks like rain :( :( :(
In which case it'll be 25 degrees, clear and sunny.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Thunderstorm still going on here. Couple of lightning strikes so close they sounded like bombs going off :shock:
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Still rumbling on here. It sounded like it had stopped raining. It hasn't, it's still raining plenty, but the raindrops or the size of buckets or as driven now...until the other side of the storm comes over.

Broccers; it'd still be awkward, but would they cancel and rebook if the weather is too bad?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

@ Simon & GG

Could you not have just looked out the window, saw that it was nice and went about your day?
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

It's glorious, again, up here in the grim rainy north. I think a bit of rain on Friday is about all we've had in May so far.
Simon

Post by Simon »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 2:02 pm @ Simon & GG

Could you not have just looked out the window, saw that it was nice and went about your day?
Sounds simple doesn't it?

The thing is that when we go to the coast we set off early to park and setup. The bad weather was forecast for around lunchtime for both days. So whilst we could've gone down early as normal, what would've been the point if 2 hours later it would've rained and we had to come home again?
GG.

Post by GG. »

Pub requires a booking in advance as they're very busy on bank holidays so I didn't fancy rocking up on the off chance they had a table on the terrace outside. South of England problem I guess.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Simon wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 1:37 pm
Broccers wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 1:32 pm Got Ron Haslam Race school tomorrow afternoon. Been on my list of things to do in life for years - looks like rain :( :( :(
In which case it'll be 25 degrees, clear and sunny.
I'm doing a little sun dance just in case ;)

Unforts you cant rebook and have to ride in the rain. Might give me some practice as its not something Id do out of choice. :lol:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Simon wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 2:07 pm

Sounds simple doesn't it?

The thing is that when we go to the coast we set off early to park and setup. The bad weather was forecast for around lunchtime for both days. So whilst we could've gone down early as normal, what would've been the point if 2 hours later it would've rained and we had to come home again?
GG. wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 2:14 pm

Pub requires a booking in advance as they're very busy on bank holidays so I didn't fancy rocking up on the off chance they had a table on the terrace outside. South of England problem I guess.

Both valid points and both things that have happened to me :lol:. I think it's more likely a Scottish thing to accept that rain is almost certainly going to happen and make the best of your day regardless.
An absolute unit