The slippery slope of pc gaming

Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Re: The slippery slope of pc gaming

Post by Matty »

3DMark is very heavily scored based on graphics, so that'll impact the scores far more.

And a 9900k? Nice 8-)
Simon

Post by Simon »

I upgraded to a 9900KS a couple of weeks ago (IPC is king for Prepar3d). Also swapped my motherboard out for an Asus Rog Apex, as that listed compatibility with my 4000MHz memory, that's now running at full speed.

Just need to swap out my GTX 1080 for a 3080 when they launch next year.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

That was the slippery slope :lol:

I was looking at just a processor swap to a 7700k, but was looking at about £320, so in my head it wasn't a huge jump in price for the performance increase of the 9900.

The figures don't work so well when you add in a new cooler and motherboard..

I'm hoping it will last many many years!
Cheers, Harry
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Had a rather worrying blackout when testing. Screen went blank, all fans went to max, no response to any input.

Thought I'd properly killed it. Then it dawned on me, the power supply might now be struggling :lol:

An online checker suggested my setup would draw 580w, so with some overclocking I think I reached the limit of my 600w psu.

A hard reset and everything back up and running fine, settings toned down a bit, new psu tomorrow thanks to amazon prime.

I now have nearly enough spares to build a decent 'spare' gaming pc :oops:
Cheers, Harry
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Slight issue, bought the pc down to use on the telly while I have lots of free time over Christmas, but couldn't for the life of me get any sound out of hdmi. Nvidia control panel identifies the wrong port being used on the card ( one of the display ports ) in the diagram but says it's connected by dvi.

A couple of days fiddling with settings, drivers, old drivers etc.

Then it dawned on me, maybe the palit bios I've flashed to my zotac cards to enable fan stop has a different port assignment.

Flash the original bios back to my main card and the sound starts working instantly, but unfortunately means the fans are running constantly too.

wonder if there are any other bios' with the same port assignment as my card but with a zero fan mode 🤔
Cheers, Harry
Simon

Post by Simon »

Can you not control the fans with EVGA's X1 precision or similar?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

No, the minimum can speed is set by the bios, so you can only take it down that far. On my 1070ti mini the minimum is 37%, I guess to give it a bit of headroom because it's got a fairly modest size cooler.

However it's been fine without a fan at idle. It sits around 37c, with nothing else running except the cpu fan at 250rpm. I had set the fans to be off until 40c then ramp up pretty quickly above that so they kick in pretty much as soon as it sees any load.

Some of the other cards with bigger coolers used a silent fan off mode as a selling point.

Sadly you can't flash a non verified bios to 10 series cards, so you can't modify the original, only flash it with one from another manufacturers existing version.
Cheers, Harry
Beany

Post by Beany »

integrale_evo wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:21 am Slight issue, bought the pc down to use on the telly while I have lots of free time over Christmas, but couldn't for the life of me get any sound out of hdmi. Nvidia control panel identifies the wrong port being used on the card ( one of the display ports ) in the diagram but says it's connected by dvi.

A couple of days fiddling with settings, drivers, old drivers etc.

Then it dawned on me, maybe the palit bios I've flashed to my zotac cards to enable fan stop has a different port assignment.

Flash the original bios back to my main card and the sound starts working instantly, but unfortunately means the fans are running constantly too.

wonder if there are any other bios' with the same port assignment as my card but with a zero fan mode 🤔
Turn the telly up louder.

That'll be £75.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

It doesn't bother me where it is, but I'd like to find a permanent solution instead of having to swap the graphics card bios whenever I move it.

I'd not spotted it before because I usually have speakers connected to the motherboard output.
Cheers, Harry
Beany

Post by Beany »

Fair enough.

I've been looking at used R5 2600Xs and 16gb of RAM and an AM4 mobo - for about £250 I can move to a damned near bleeding edge (in terms of IPC) platform that would realistically see me good for another few years, graphics card permitting - and as I mostly play retro, or retro-esque games where controls and feedback are more of an issue (GZDoom ports, games like Dusk and Maximum Action where the controls/feedback take precedence over visuals) the graphics aren't that much of a concern.

I may start looking at a platform upgrade soon.

integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Unassuming plain black box, the front door, sides and removeable magnetic top cover are all sound deadened. Even the power on light is in stealth mode.

Pretty similar inside. Some of the wiring isn't ideal because I swapped the power supply after the rest of it was in. Could do with painting the DVD sides black too just because.

Fairly different to the style I went for when building one for a 15 year old 😀
Cheers, Harry
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

The Disaster Area of PC's 8-)
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The more RGB the faster the PC ;)

*goes off to buy a RGB mousepad on Amazon*
How about not having a sig at all?
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Simon wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:53 pm Just need to swap out my GTX 1080 for a 3080 when they launch next year.
Straight 1080 or Ti? Assume the former but if the latter, I’d be interested.
Simon

Post by Simon »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:59 am
Simon wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:53 pm Just need to swap out my GTX 1080 for a 3080 when they launch next year.
Straight 1080 or Ti? Assume the former but if the latter, I’d be interested.
Former I'm afraid... I never plump for the Ti's usually.
Richard

Post by Richard »

RobYob wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:21 pm If you're not playing Dwarf Fortress in ASCII you're a lightweight. :lol:

I'd question if anyone bar the pros has the skill to make use of >60fps in a competitive FPS let alone a sim.
It will surely look nicely, but I'm deeply skeptical it gives you an advantage.
Allow Linus to show you

RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Richard wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:23 pm
Allow Linus to show you
8-) ok you can't get much more comprehensive than that.
Very enjoyable vid thanks.