The Movie Thread

ZedLeg

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by ZedLeg »

I'm probably going to end up watching it anyway, I usually enjoy Roland Emmerich's particular brand of garbage.
An absolute unit
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Midsommar really is a brilliant piece of work. Supremely unsettling, but the cinematography is amazing and the soundtrack is note perfect.
Last edited by Ascender on Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

Mike.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

That Midway trailer has reminded me how much I'd like to see Cryptonomicon made into a TV series.
evostick

Post by evostick »

Beany wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:10 am
£5 says if they'd shot all the SFX stuff from hard mounted CGI 'cameras' with a bit of shake on them (IE fixed to fuselages, from a gun emplacement on a ship, etc), it'd look a lot less like someone had knocked it up in AutoCAD.

Could've saved themselves millions of dollars and had a guaranteed box office smash if only they'd got Beany to direct the movie :lol:

Looks alreet to me tbh.

Midsommar is a good movie.
Beany

Post by Beany »

evostick wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:42 pm
Beany wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:10 am
£5 says if they'd shot all the SFX stuff from hard mounted CGI 'cameras' with a bit of shake on them (IE fixed to fuselages, from a gun emplacement on a ship, etc), it'd look a lot less like someone had knocked it up in AutoCAD.

Could've saved themselves millions of dollars and had a guaranteed box office smash if only they'd got Beany to direct the movie :lol:

Looks alreet to me tbh.

Midsommar is a good movie.
Oh, I'm well aware that I'm a niche hardliner when it comes to this - I'm sure it'll either do well or bomb (arf) regardless of any input I might have...
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Doctor Sleep I loved this. It’s that rarest of things: a well adapted Stephen King story. One of the things I like most about King’s horror is that they’re about the people and what they experience, rather than the horror itself. This movie is the same. Ewan McGregor, Rebecca Ferguson and Kyleigh Curran are brilliant, especially Curran who puts in a stunning debut performance.

If you don’t know, this is a sequel to The Shining, with Ewan McGregor playing Danny Torrance, the kid from the first movie. There’s a couple of moments where McGregor channels Jack Nicholson perfectly, in those ways where you can see that father and son are related. In fact, he was more Jack Torrance than the guy playing Jack Torrance was.

Rebecca Ferguson is so hot she’s practically on fire but also brilliantly unsettling.

Such a great movie, go and see it. 9 axes through a door out of 10.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

Ascender wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:34 am Midsommar really is a brilliant piece of work. Supremely unsettling, but the cinematography is amazing and the soundtrack is note perfect.
Agreed - really stuck with me for some time after it had finished. It’s got a really insidious tone and the pacing is great.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Le Mans ‘66

Not *quite* as good as Rush, but not far off. Watch it.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

NotoriousREV wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:20 pm Le Mans ‘66

I'll be going just to hear Bale's West Midlands accent.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

speedingfine wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:30 pm

Or “Cockney” according to every US review :lol:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Joker Shite. Turned it off after 25 mins
Simon

Post by Simon »

:lol:
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Nathan wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:19 pm Joker Shite. Turned it off after 25 mins
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Too cheery for you?
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Nathan wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:19 pm Joker Shite. Turned it off after 25 mins
Are you deliberately odd?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I thought Joker was slow, awkward and fairly uncomfortable to watch. Which is why I was glad I watched it in a cinema, so I wasn’t tempted to turn It off early or look at my phone. Because if I had I’d have missed out on a very good film.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

NotoriousREV wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:10 pm
speedingfine wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:30 pm

Or “Cockney” according to every US review :lol:
Quite enjoyed that, especially on a 2D-X screen with the peripheral projection trick, it absolutely worked for the sweeping car shots.

As a car nut you could nitpick it to unenjoyment for the F&F "fast driving" shorthand shots but it was very well done otherwise.

One thing I thought it could've done better was give a better sense of just how quick 220mph is, maybe the super wide projection robbed a bit from that but other than the overhead shot past the grandstands it didn't really feel that quick.

Seven cups of tally ho tea* out of ten.

*Christian Bale was not annoying at all, I was surprised.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Zombie land 2, the first is one of my favourites but this one didn’t grab me as much. It was a bit pause, go, pause , go with the funny stuff.

Still worth a brain out watch and had a decent amount of funny stuff in it.

Dave!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Hobbs and Shaw

Dumb as a box of rocks but I enjoyed it. Only really worth watching if you're already a fan of the series though.

It: Chapter 2

Didn't like it, enjoyed the first one but this just wasn't as good.
An absolute unit
Richard

Post by Richard »

DeskJockey wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:50 pm Terminator: Dark Fate

That was proper entertaining and a great return to form! Plot and universe full of holes as you'd expect, some quite unbelievable physics, but still very good fun.

Definitely one to recommend.

8/10 Rev. 9s
Totally agree. I did a few WOAH’s whilst watching it. I’m a massive fan of the series, so perhaps not a very fair critic, but at the very least, the action was amazing, and Mackenzie Davis was fantastic
Richard

Post by Richard »

Mr Pish wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:24 pm
speedingfine wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:01 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:50 pm Terminator: Dark Fate

That was proper entertaining and a great return to form! Plot and universe full of holes as you'd expect, some quite unbelievable physics, but still very good fun.

Definitely one to recommend.

8/10 Rev. 9s
I'd agree with this and I was ready to dislike it after some poor reviews. Maybe the last third was too OTT, but overall felt like I was 12 and it was 1991 again 😁
That’s interesting cause everything I have seen says it’s woke feminist virtue signalling like captain marvel, oceans 8, the last Jedi, ghost busters reboot etc. and that it has tanked at the box office.
I don’t really understand that take, to be honest. Most of the main cast happen to be female, but that’s it. I guess most the hate comes from people who haven’t seen it? Because I can’t see how you could be annoyed by it unless you really hate women.

I guess it’s like The Last Jedi in that, TLJ happens to have a girl in it too.

Oceans 8 was also good, if you’ve not seen it. An interesting different dynamic on a fairly stale formula.

But I guess women should be (hardly) seen and (certainly) not heard