Lease deals (Nd)

integrale_evo

Re: Lease deals (Nd)

Post by integrale_evo »

Probably doesn't make a huge amount of sense to us as at the moment he commutes a lot on the bikes.

The user case for someone like me who uses £200 a month on petrol for the daily commute, if the real world electricity cost is considerably lower then you've got an instant pot of money which can instead go towards a nice shiny new car with warranty.
Cheers, Harry
Barry

Post by Barry »

Rich B wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:30 am it sounds like a bit of an odd choice to me.

It’ll cost you more for your daily driving.
You’ll need to hire a car to do long journeys.
You’ll need to hire a car to have any chance of fun driving.

I can see the appeal of EVs, but this compromise seems a step too far?
You forget the current car is 15yr old Civic, it's already costing me in age related fixes, exhaust, calipers, sensors, window motors. To buy anything either practical or fun, and reliable, means chucking equivalent money up front to what this EV will cost over two years. And rather than being left with another old car with little value left in it at the end, I just get another new car. Yes it'll cost more but it's a brand new car so of course I'll have to take a cost hit.

I rarely do longer journeys than this car is capable of in one hit.

In recent years I've only really had one fun trip per year, that requires daily big miles.

I have three motorcycles that can do long trips.

Hiring a car isn't really that big an ordeal and I have this two year experiment to see if I miss owning a fun car. And nothing stopping me getting a second fun car during this period either.

I get that I'm in the wrong forum to expect this to make sense to most but I'm a little surprised at the resistance to the idea of an EV daily. It won't be that long before these are the majority, I'm just trying one for size a little earlier.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

On page 2 now and nobody has told him leasing is DIW and he should get a snotter and run it into the ground instead (I know he has one but that has never stopped the good people on here).

Ioniq wins prizes does it not? Of the reasonably priced EVs it seems pretty good. Good luck, will be interesting to see real world life with one.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I don’t think people quite realise just how much you use your bikes and how little you use the car, much less how you use your car, hence the difficulty getting it. We'll all be in EVs before you know it, anyway. The momentum has started. I saw a thing yesterday that said more EVs are now sold than manual cars.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Barry

Post by Barry »

I'm not trying to convert anyone either, I've spent the past couple years trying to find a worthy replacement, and fun car to the Civic. Boxsters appeal but have their own issues and won't be any better in winter. Many others are now in the £555 VED bracket too. Practical cars with decent petrol engines are actually quite rare these days, and I'm not keen on spending £10k on a practical car that'll be worthless in a few years. I got tried of looking and a cheap EV lease came up, I'll see how it goes. If it's tedious I'll buy an MX 5 and have some fun..
evostick

Post by evostick »

Gavin wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:43 am Good luck, will be interesting to see real world life with one.
Barry

Post by Barry »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:54 am I don’t think people quite realise just how much you use your bikes and how little you use the car, much less how you use your car, hence the difficulty getting it. We'll all be in EVs before you know it, anyway. The momentum has started. I saw a thing yesterday that said more EVs are now sold than manual cars.
Indeed, I should have handed my EVO card in a long time ago.

Car does about a quarter of my annual miles at present, for various reasons.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

evostick wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:59 am
Gavin wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:43 am Good luck, will be interesting to see real world life with one.
I was trying to be nice. In fairness threads about other white goods seem very popular these days so a fridge on wheels surely carries on the theme? :lol:
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Saw the ID3 advert today. Could be an ideal run around. Hopefully it’ll come with some great lease deals as I’d very much treat it as a white good.
Cheers,

Ian
Barry

Post by Barry »

IanF wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:22 pm Saw the ID3 advert today. Could be an ideal run around. Hopefully it’ll come with some great lease deals as I’d very much treat it as a white good.
Which is what I'm doing to all intents. An affordable appliance for getting me about easily.

Get my kicks elsewhere.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Same reason I looked at one. To try it out for cheap.
Left over crest; tightens.