Bye Bye Boris!

Mito Man

Re: Bye Bye Boris!

Post by Mito Man »

I was just forwarding the conversation from the morning, the figures may not be exact but it would have been from joining the EU in 1995. Just looking online I can see a Guardian article saying “GDP per capita now stands just under $60,000, which is twice what it was in its last year outside of the union in 1994.”
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.the ... ts-changed

The main point is that things were pretty shit before the EU and markedly better after joining. I just hope we don’t go from pretty good to pretty shit if/when we leave.

Edit - just thinking to myself now, the only other European countries doing well which are not in the EU are Norway and Switzerland - one has its economy propped up by vast natural reserves with a low population giving a nice distribution of wealth and the other is an established dubious tax loophole. Not sure what the feck we will do...
How about not having a sig at all?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Zonda_ wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:42 am
V8Granite wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:12 am
Orange Cola wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:54 pm Anyone who works in a manufacturing company that exports and voted for Brexit is a fucking idiot.

We buy in something like 60% of components and sub assemblies from European suppliers and export 80% of our product and yet people working there still voted for Brexit. Utterly unbelievable.

I can imagine Nissan isn’t too dissimilar to those figures given it’s the same industry.
Some people vote for what they believe is the greater good in their opinion. Not just for their own direct interest.

Dave!
Trust me, no one in Sunderland was voting for the greater good, they were voting to get rid of brown people.
Ok, so you’re saying everyone in Sunderland who voted Leave is a racist ?

Yep, sounds plausible :roll:

Dave!
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

V8Granite wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:14 am
Zonda_ wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:42 am
V8Granite wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:12 am

Some people vote for what they believe is the greater good in their opinion. Not just for their own direct interest.

Dave!
Trust me, no one in Sunderland was voting for the greater good, they were voting to get rid of brown people.
Ok, so you’re saying everyone in Sunderland who voted Leave is a racist ?

Yep, sounds plausible :roll:

Dave!
I spent 3 years there, yep.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

then maybe stop hanging out with racists as my experience of the area was very different.

Dave!
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

V8Granite wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:13 pm then maybe stop hanging out with racists as my experience of the area was very different.

Dave!
I wouldn’t dream of hanging out with a Macam, never met a single one that was worth talking too.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Worst hit areas by Brexit are to be those that voted for it
The documents, put together as part of Operation Kingfisher earlier this year, show 29 of the 33 worst hit places also voted to Leave. Entries include Sunderland, Carlisle, York, Harrogate in the North right down to Oxford, Cheltenham and Yeovil in the South.

All these areas are heavily dependent on manufacturing. A total of 29 out of 33 of them voted to Leave the EU in 2016.
Woops, eh?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I despair. Those that voted leave will be hurt, and in turn this will deprive their children even more.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Middle-aged Dirtbag
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

It’s all slowly pointing to a GE followed by a second referendum.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Orange Cola wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:38 pm It’s all slowly pointing to a GE followed by a second referendum.
Is it? That's dependent upon (a) a general election happening (quite possible) and (b) Labour winning a general election. At the moment I can see Boris obtaining an extension, getting us out with a withdrawal agreement of some description and the GE happening after that.

ETA: the brief prorogation before the Queen's Speech brought the last session of Parliament to a close, so it's possible Theresa May's withdrawal agreement could be brought back for a vote too.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Orange Cola wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:38 pm It’s all slowly pointing to a GE followed by a second referendum.
I would say that's far from obvious.

I reckon BoJo will crash us out with no deal.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

There have been a number of pieces of data posted in the thread which make me think that, but it could just be blind hope that it’ll never actually happen.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

There was a suggestion on last night's Newsnight that the Tory rebels and opposition may yet try to secure an extension by means of refusing to let Parliament sit on Sat to vote for any deal that may come forward in the next couple of days.

There was also suggestion of them using SO24 to either re-table May's WA with a 2nd ref attached, or any new BJ WA with 2nd ref attached.

So even if he does secure a deal there's still a lot of nonsense left. And that's before you get into how long JC has got left before McDonnell overthrows him.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Doesn't look like he's going to secure any deal before 31 Oct, frankly - the EU haven't seen the text yet and there's not sufficient Parliamentary time to get anything properly considered onto the statute books.

And:
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

And: what?

Lots of nothing actually set in stone to comment on.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

DeskJockey wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:26 am I despair. Those that voted leave will be hurt, and in turn this will deprive their children even more.
This forum is typically the mass affluent so probably not in the best place to judge people who have nothing and when you have nothing you can't be worse off. Rather than label people stupid, racist and so on why not accept that some people will want a change as they can't imagine a more dire situation than they are in and a little bit of them hopes it's an opportunity for something different ?

ETA - that's not aimed at anyone in particular 👍
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Broccers wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:47 pm And: what?

Can't you see the Twitter link? There's a deadline of midnight tonight which has been imposed, failing which Boris definitely has to ask for an extension.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:01 pm
Broccers wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:47 pm And: what?

Can't you see the Twitter link? There's a deadline of midnight tonight which has been imposed, failing which Boris definitely has to ask for an extension.
The phpBB formatting makes it look like the "And:" is after the Twitter link.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Carlos wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:57 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:26 am I despair. Those that voted leave will be hurt, and in turn this will deprive their children even more.
This forum is typically the mass affluent so probably not in the best place to judge people who have nothing and when you have nothing you can't be worse off. Rather than label people stupid, racist and so on why not accept that some people will want a change as they can't imagine a more dire situation than they are in and a little bit of them hopes it's an opportunity for something different ?

ETA - that's not aimed at anyone in particular 👍
I can 100% appreciate the desire for change, especially after 8 years of austerity and generally failing politics. But I still wouldn't vote for leopards eating faces.

The only glimmer of hope out of this entire shitshow is that it's the beginning of the end of our old style politics. Unfortunately, we've still got a long way to go before things start to improve, and I suspect it needs things to get worse before they get better i.e. everyone needs to understand for themselves what a shitshow everything became.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Middle-aged Dirtbag