No F1 thread?

Orange Cola

Re: No F1 thread?

Post by Orange Cola »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:55 pm I was just thinking that the rules state the other teams supplied with Ferrari engines must have an identical engine but the Alfa Romeo and Haas don’t seem to have the special qualifying mode Ferrari do?
The engine hardware might be identical but the controllers aren’t (or the cooling, or some level of system integration) which means the other teams can’t run the quali mode. There’s always something the engine manufacturer can do to ensure the works team get the best performance whilst the others don’t.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

So do we think that Vettel's really going to stay another year at Ferrari? It seems a little close to the end of the season now for any big changes, but Ferrari must be thinking that next year could be a fricking nightmare for them in terms of driver management.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Unless SV retires of his own accord then I think he’ll still have a seat there. Grosjean got renewed and SV isn’t anywhere near that bad.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Orange Cola wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:45 pm Unless SV retires of his own accord then I think he’ll still have a seat there. Grosjean got renewed and SV isn’t anywhere near that bad.
True, but Grosjean was never that good and isn't a four time WDC with an ego to match. SV has much further to fall and the weight of expectation (and cost) is different.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

DeskJockey wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:54 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:45 pm Unless SV retires of his own accord then I think he’ll still have a seat there. Grosjean got renewed and SV isn’t anywhere near that bad.
True, but Grosjean was never that good and isn't a four time WDC with an ego to match. SV has much further to fall and the weight of expectation (and cost) is different.
He’s out of contract at the end of next season anyway, I would imagine if he’s this far through the contract then it’ll cost Ferrari the remainder to let him go. I know SV has a performance clause in his end of the contract, but if there was one on the Ferrari side we’d know about it by now (unless, of course, it’s worded around driver error mistakes but I can’t see anyone foreseeing that and building it into a drivers contract), it’ll just be a points based performance clause and even then he’s not exactly at the bottom of the drivers standings.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Qualifying now going to be on Sunday morning

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... Kgtvu.html
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

And a good interview with Max on the bbc
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/49988237
Left over crest; tightens.
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

jamcg wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:33 am Qualifying now going to be on Sunday morning

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... Kgtvu.html
I remember the last time this happened, must have been about ten years ago, waking up at 2am to watch qualifying then again at 6am to watch the race.

This time, as I can't get excited about non-live F1, I'll probably just watch the 5 minute highlights video on YouTube.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

This came up on my YouTube recommended

:lol: Wtf
How about not having a sig at all?
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

JonMad wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:28 am And a good interview with Max on the bbc
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/49988237
I like that a lot, shows a lot about Max. I support Max already as a fan but once he’s in a title contending team I’ll be backing him all the way.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Romain Grosjean managed to stave off the boredom of having nothing to do.

Middle-aged Dirtbag
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

:o
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Reverse grid race based on championship standing instead of qualifying at 3 races next year - stupid idea or what?
How about not having a sig at all?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Interesting idea. In theory I think it could give more overtaking as the leaders work their way through the field, and allow someone in the midfield more of a chance to shine.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

It’s looking more like Lewis will take his 6th WDC in Austin now, Mexico will be a tough one.

Well done on Merc getting the constructors and doing it for a sixth time, I didn’t think we’d see anyone else do that since Ferrari’s dominance in the early 2000’s.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Post race stuff- leclerc give a 15 second penalty, dropping him from 6th to 7th and promoting ricciardo to 6th- 5 seconds for hitting Verstappen, 10 seconds for driving car in unsafe condition- his wing end plate narrowly missing Hamilton’s cockpit area when it flew off, taking Hamilton’s wing mirror with it https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... P8tBw.html

Ricciardo’s 6th and hulks 10th could be at risk as force point India racing have lodged a complaint due to a brake balance altering system that automatically adjusted the balance on a set lap

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... 9lHMa.html
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Why the fuck did they let Le Clerc stay out with that damage? He couldn’t see it so fair enough the decision wasn’t his, but it Was obviously going to come off and it destroyed Hamilton’s wing mirror when it did - which would have easily been is helmet.

The stewards should have a serious investigation into their decision. Because they fucked up there.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Rich B wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:00 pm Why the fuck did they let Le Clerc stay out with that damage? He couldn’t see it so fair enough the decision wasn’t his, but it Was obviously going to come off and it destroyed Hamilton’s wing mirror when it did - which would have easily been is helmet.

The stewards should have a serious investigation into their decision. Because they fucked up there.
They told him to box, he said no, he wanted to stay out longer.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:18 pm
Rich B wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:00 pm Why the fuck did they let Le Clerc stay out with that damage? He couldn’t see it so fair enough the decision wasn’t his, but it Was obviously going to come off and it destroyed Hamilton’s wing mirror when it did - which would have easily been is helmet.

im talking about an investigation into the stewards, not the teams decision, there should have been a black/orange circle flag imo.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Rich B wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:25 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:18 pm

im talking about an investigation into the stewards, not the teams decision, there should have been a black/orange circle flag imo.
I was replying to the “why the fuck did they let LeClerc stay out”. The team didn’t, they told him to box and he stayed out. He was shown the black flag with orange circle by the marshalls but he stayed out as long as he could. Once the end plate fell off, the flag was withdrawn.

In the end the FIA had to call Binotto to tell him to pit his driver because they still considered it dangerous and Merc were complaining.
Last edited by NotoriousREV on Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Middle-aged Dirtbag