Bye Bye Boris!

dinny_g

Re: Bye Bye Boris!

Post by dinny_g »

Beany wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:19 pm You've gone full Daily Mail, Dinny.

You never go full Daily Mail.
:lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I remember discussing the backstop when it first appeared and I said I didn’t see what was so onerous. GG pointed out that a legal agreement with no end date that requires the full agreement of both parties to end meant one party could end up trapped in it against their will. Surely, then, the answer is a time-limited backstop with the option to extend with the agreement of both parties? Or is that too easy?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:25 pm

Beany’s right. It’s nothing to do with keeping us in (they can’t stop us leaving, see No Deal for details). That point of view is patently just a bit silly.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

There's no such thing as a time limited backstop. See last few years of no agreement.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Broccers wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:36 pm There's no such thing as a time limited backstop. See last few years of no agreement.
There is if all parties want there to be. The current backstop is worded that it is only in force until a future relationship is agreed. Instead just word it to say “until a future relationship is agreed or until [future date], unless both parties agree to extend”.

The reason the DUP/ERG etc couldn’t accept the backstop wasn’t because of the backstop itself but because it meant that the EU could potentially just not agree to a future deal and we’d be held in the backstop arrangement forever.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:41 pm
Broccers wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:36 pm There's no such thing as a time limited backstop. See last few years of no agreement.
There is if all parties want there to be. The current backstop is worded that it is only in force until a future relationship is agreed. Instead just word it to say “until a future relationship is agreed or until [future date], unless both parties agree to extend”.

The reason the DUP/ERG etc couldn’t accept the backstop wasn’t because of the backstop itself but because it meant that the EU could potentially just not agree to a future deal and we’d be held in the backstop arrangement forever.
Sorry I'm not buying that they will agree anything, especially when a good chunk of our own country don't want the thing to succeed because they want to say I told you so, thick gammon cunts etc
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Broccers wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:03 pm

Sorry I'm not buying that they will agree anything, especially when a good chunk of our own country don't want the thing to succeed because they want to say I told you so, thick gammon cunts etc
Yes, that's why people don't want Brexit, to create more opportunities for name calling. You've seen right through the remain argument.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Broccers wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:03 pm

But they did agree to the backstop. It's Parliament that stopped it.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:34 pm

Beany’s right. It’s nothing to do with keeping us in (they can’t stop us leaving, see No Deal for details). That point of view is patently just a bit silly.
I know it’s nothing to do with keeping us in, it’s about making sure no one else will want to leave at this stage...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:37 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:34 pm

I know it’s nothing to do with keeping us in, it’s about making sure no one else will want to leave at this stage...
Conspiracy claptrap.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Do you not feel that any Deal, agreed by the EU, would be jumped upon by any EuroSkeptic group and
would form the foundation for their any subsequent leave campaign ??

The UK voted to leave with no clue about what to expect. Others could presented with a lot more certainty of the likely outcome in their votes??

But overall yeah, I can see why you’d say conspiracy claptrap.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:03 pm Do you not feel that any Deal, agreed by the EU, would be jumped upon by any EuroSkeptic group and

The UK voted to leave with no clue about what to expect. Others could presented with a lot more certainty of the likely outcome in their votes??

You're assuming that other member states have similar issues. As far as I'm aware most others don't see the EU as the issue and can work within the framework and get agreement on exceptions.
---
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:03 pm Do you not feel that any Deal, agreed by the EU, would be jumped upon by any EuroSkeptic group and

The EU agreed a deal. It was the UK Parliament that rejected it.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Beany

Post by Beany »

You'd think they'd be grateful to have their parliamentary sovereignty.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Fair point - I need to loosen the Tinfoil...

And stop posting in this thread... :lol:
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Broccers wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:09 pm "They dont want to" more like it

Lots of people think this

Is Parliament prorogued today btw
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

As I'm looking at twitter, I hate twitter, this popped up.

DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

How does that prove bad faith? Sounds like a statement of fact.
---
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

The EU agreed May’s deal. They gave her what she asked for. How is that acting in bad faith?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Just me actually watched the video then 😙😂💪