Cash machine blunders

Broccers

Re: Cash machine blunders

Post by Broccers »

Meds fellas 💪
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

Ah, I was gonna tell a cash machine tale, but looks like I missed the chance about 3 pages ago :lol:

Carry on nerds. :roll:

;)
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Orange Cola wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:51 pm I think most people haven’t picked up on the laundering bit because a significant chunk of the money the criminals are taking is coming directly from the state via welfare payments, the more intelligent criminals will manipulate a vulnerable person to increase the amount of money the state pays into their account before creaming it off the top. Therefore it’s laundering because it’s acquiring money from the state via false pretences and the cash doesn’t even remain with the intended recipient.

The pratting around at cash points disconnects these folk from the source of cash.

It really was ‘easy’ money being made by gangs.
Nothing to do with the money coming from the state. It’s theft/fraud, whether they’re manipulating the amount of the payments or falsely claiming or whatever.

The attempt to launder by turning it into cash and paying it into a different bank account is pretty weak. Why don’t drug dealers just pay their cash into the bank? 😄
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:12 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:51 pm I think most people haven’t picked up on the laundering bit because a significant chunk of the money the criminals are taking is coming directly from the state via welfare payments, the more intelligent criminals will manipulate a vulnerable person to increase the amount of money the state pays into their account before creaming it off the top. Therefore it’s laundering because it’s acquiring money from the state via false pretences and the cash doesn’t even remain with the intended recipient.

The pratting around at cash points disconnects these folk from the source of cash.

It really was ‘easy’ money being made by gangs.
Nothing to do with the money coming from the state. It’s theft/fraud, whether they’re manipulating the amount of the payments or falsely claiming or whatever.

The attempt to launder by turning it into cash and paying it into a different bank account is pretty weak. Why don’t drug dealers just pay their cash into the bank? 😄
I think Rev having worked in a bank, plus the person who told me this works in a bank, both having seen this sort of thing going on and received training to spot it and deal with it and it being classed as laundering by the police, all of whom know about this activity in far more detail than any of us is good enough to accept it comes under the banner of money laundering, don’t you think? I think Rev even alluded to the fact they’re manipulating innocent, vulnerable peoples accounts to hold money acquired by illegal activities.

I don’t know how much more explanation this all needs, I honestly thought this was a reasonably well known practise by gangs and even if you haven’t heard of it before it’s not exactly complex to grasp. They’re criminals after all, not Einstein’s off spring running some elaborate scheme :? :?
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Its quite possible you and Rev are wrong but then going all shouty seems to win over without LINKS to prove it :lol:

I worked at the DSS writing giros once - that was my job, writing giros ALL DAY. Lots of dodgy folk came from prison, working the streets etc they were just scrounders tho not money launderers :lol: :lol:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Tango, I’ve not said it isn’t happening. It’s just that it’s not money-laundering.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Broccers wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:28 pm Its quite possible you and Rev are wrong but then going all shouty seems to win over without LINKS to prove it :lol:

I worked at the DSS writing giros once - that was my job, writing giros ALL DAY. Lots of dodgy folk came from prison, working the streets etc they were just scrounders tho not money launderers :lol: :lol:
But the links proving it are right here, already posted a while ago.
NotoriousREV wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:41 pm

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/15615 ... nd-barton/

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ngs-cuckoo

https://news.sky.com/story/drug-dealers ... e-10377750

There you go Rich, the elderly and vulnerable ARE being targeted by drugs gangs.

What is it, exactly, that’s driving you all to deny the problem described by OC exists? Is it fear? I don’t get it.
And we’ve never saying people collecting their DSS payments were money launderers, that’s just making shit up!
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:29 pm Tango, I’ve not said it isn’t happening. It’s just that it’s not money-laundering.
I really don’t think anyone here has all the information to themselves which puts them in a place to argue with the guys who hold all the facts around as to what it’s classed as. I’m happy to take the experts lead on this ;)
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

For what it's worth OC, when I worked in Retail Banking, we did several mandatory courses on Money Laundering and it was described ANY attempt hide or "further hide" the origin of money.

By our training (common, given to staff from all 4 retail Banks) Money doesn't have to start off as "Dirty" for a transaction or set of transactions to be considered as laundering. Moving "clean" money around to make it "cleaner" is still consider as Money Laundering if the intention of the movement is to make the origins harder to trace as a result of the movement.

I've no doubt, from a strict legal point of view, Money Laundering has a narrower definition for a person to be accused of the "Crime" of "Money Laundering" - I'm sure Jobbo is correct on that one but in common parlance (at lease in the Irish Retail Banking sector) the definition is broader.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:18 pm For what it's worth OC, when I worked in Retail Banking, we did several mandatory courses on Money Laundering and it was described ANY attempt hide or "further hide" the origin of money.

By our training (common, given to staff from all 4 retail Banks) Money doesn't have to start off as "Dirty" for a transaction or set of transactions to be considered as laundering. Moving "clean" money around to make it "cleaner" is still consider as Money Laundering if the intention of the movement is to make the origins harder to trace as a result of the movement.

I've no doubt, from a strict legal point of view, Money Laundering has a narrower definition for a person to be accused of the "Crime" of "Money Laundering" - I'm sure Jobbo is correct on that one but in common parlance (at lease in the Irish Retail Banking sector) the definition is broader.
If you broaden the scope then all money starts out as clean. Taking the simplest view a bank can issue a brand new tenner to a customer. Said customer can then go and buy drugs with this OR owe a debt to a gang who sold them drugs and is therefore paying money owes, the gang then uses mules to pay the tenner into a clean account which is actually owned by 80 year old Bob from Clean Street, but the gang have either the primary or secondary bank card to that account so they can access the cash freely.

Not laundering?
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Back to the original topic, a while ago, I went to a self-checkout counter in Asda to pay for food, only to forget to lift my change and walked away with the food only. Lost about 11 quid that day, lesson learnt.
M235i
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

I’m terrible at getting a hundred quid out, putting it in my pocket and then using my card everywhere. I’ve just looked and I’ve got £600 in various pockets and the ones in my jeans must’ve been there since August as they’re looking erm.. tired! 😂

ETA - never left card or money in a machine though!

EETA - you’d be upset if you lost this card. http://news.sky.com/story/royal-mint-la ... p-11832042
Cheers,

Ian
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

My brother's like that Ian...

He dusted off an old coat from his closet last winter and discovered $1200 in the pocket from a trip to New York about three winters previous :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
mik

Post by mik »

IanF wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:56 am I’m terrible at getting a hundred quid out, putting it in my pocket and then using my card everywhere. I’ve just looked and I’ve got £600 in various pockets and the ones in my jeans must’ve been there since August as they’re looking erm.. tired! 😂

EETA - you’d be upset if you lost this card. http://news.sky.com/story/royal-mint-la ... p-11832042
You are - quite simply - way too rich Ian.

Having an expensive credit card to make a statement just rated Full-Scale-Deflection on my Tragicometer.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Makes me and my 50 pounds seem proper pauper :lol:
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

mik wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:06 am
IanF wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:56 am I’m terrible at getting a hundred quid out, putting it in my pocket and then using my card everywhere. I’ve just looked and I’ve got £600 in various pockets and the ones in my jeans must’ve been there since August as they’re looking erm.. tired! 😂

You are - quite simply - way too rich Ian.

Having an expensive credit card to make a statement just rated Full-Scale-Deflection on my Tragicometer.
Sorry, it does sound a bit billy big bollocks. Just a hang up from my Dad constantly reminding me to “always have cash in your pocket.”

Oh, and for clarity, I’m not getting one of the Gold cards! 😂
Cheers,

Ian
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I'm the total opposite. Never carry cash - I even get annoyed if my spend goes over the £30 contactless limit :lol:

This of course means it's a total palaver if, like this week, I want to top my tyres up at the local garage, which requires £1. :oops:
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:03 pm I'm the total opposite. Never carry cash - I even get annoyed if my spend goes over the £30 contactless limit :lol:

This of course means it's a total palaver if, like this week, I want to top my tyres up at the local garage, which requires £1. :oops:
Morrisons even have contactless machines for that .
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Carlos wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:16 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:03 pm I'm the total opposite. Never carry cash - I even get annoyed if my spend goes over the £30 contactless limit :lol:

Genius. 8-)
Beany

Post by Beany »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:44 pm
Carlos wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:16 pm

Genius. 8-)
Because compressed air costs to much to a multi-billion-pound company.