Cash machine blunders

Orange Cola

Re: Cash machine blunders

Post by Orange Cola »

We could get brand new sequenced fivers out of our uni cash point, they pushed it so much I thought it was one of the few locations in the country were fivers were issued into circulation. Want £30? Have it in fivers. Rich student mate I lived with once withdrew over £100 for a hobby of his and it was all in fivers which pissed him off :lol:

I dated a girl who works in a bank and she explained a few of the cash machine stories from when she managed the branch ones. You’d get people withdrawing cash from one account With a card from a different bank and walking into the branch and paying it straight back into another account insisting on seeing a cashier (as opposed to an automated paying in service which took at least a few days to process) so it cleared the same day. They’d then play the same routine at another bank as a way of laundering cash. The people they used to do cash handling were often vulnerable folk. It really opened my eyes as to what the loitering folk around cash machines in city centres could be up to.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

You know cash taken from an ATM doesn’t need to be laundered further?
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Haha :lol:
Richard

Post by Richard »

Cash?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Richard wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:43 pmCash?
Yeah some places no like tappy tappy phones. Had our dyson fixed the other day - cash. 5 doors sorted in the house - cash. Carwash - cash. But mainly tapping my phone day to day.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Or see any person working in trade in the South East - “if you want to pay VAT your can or just pay cash”

Probably why they want to get rid of cash in most countries...
How about not having a sig at all?
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

Used a cash machine in a hostel in Phnom Penh, took my cash, didn't think anything else of it. Of course the machines there give the cash out before ejecting the card so I'd left my only card that I had with me in the machine.

I didn't realise that I was missing the card until I arrived at another town four or five hours by bus away where I'd be staying for a couple of nights. I worked out that I'd have just enough money on me to pay for the hostel bed, cheap food, and have enough left over to rent a scooter from the hostel to explore the area. Buying fuel for the scooter was a constant worry particularly as the fuel gauge wasn't working, I did run out of fuel at one point but happend to roll to a stoop right outside a shop that sold petrol in plastic bottles. The fuel was cheap anyway, so I could just about afford it with my remaining money.

However, while I was riding the scooter along a narrow dirt road i freaked out seeing a truck the other way around the corner. I tensed up and accidentally squeeze the throttle white trying to steer around the truck, resulting in me and my scooter falling over.

When I was checking out of the hostel they said that I'd been charged $10 extra for damaging the scooter. This was money that I did not have.

Fortunately the receptionists were nice about it and because I was staying in the same brand of hostel that I'd been at (and was about to head back to) in PP they said that I could pay it to the PP when I got my card back, so they room a selfie with me to send to their colleagues.

When I arrived back at the PP hostel they gave me the address, in Cambodian, of the bank that runs the machine. I showed that to a mototaxi rider to get a ride there, told him to wait for me outside, went in to try to explain the situation, they said they couldn't help. It turned out that the mototaxi guy only read the first line of the address and took me to the head office of the bank instead of the local branch. After trying to explain that to him for five minutes, and after he consulted with several other mototaxi riders, he finally took me to the correct place and I got the card back from there fairly quickly so was able to pay my debts!
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:19 pm You know cash taken from an ATM doesn’t need to be laundered further?
Once, yes. Twice, maybe. But when it’s a city based gang you can’t have the same bloke using cash machines with different cards several times a day because he’ll be lifted very quickly.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Pete_ wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:38 pm Used a cash machine in a hostel in Phnom Penh, took my cash, didn't think anything else of it. Of course the machines there give the cash out before ejecting the card so I'd left my only card that I had with me in the machine. .......

........ I got the card back from there fairly quickly so was able to pay my debts!
No-one stole money? Lucky.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Asked a machine for £30 many years ago, took my card, left cash. Someone took cash and probably had a good night.

Another time I realised in the pub some time later but nobody had gone past so the machine sucked the cash back in and refunded my account.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Twice I’ve got £50 cash back at a self service till and walked off without it. The first time someone handed it in and I picked it up from the supermarket a few days later. The second time the bloke in the queue behind me told me I’d left it.

I’ve banned myself from cashback now.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Orange Cola wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:59 pm
Jobbo wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:19 pm You know cash taken from an ATM doesn’t need to be laundered further?
Once, yes. Twice, maybe. But when it’s a city based gang you can’t have the same bloke using cash machines with different cards several times a day because he’ll be lifted very quickly.
I really don’t understand. The money is already in a bank account. Why do they need to take it out at all? It’s either clean already or never will be.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:11 am
Orange Cola wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:59 pm
I really don’t understand. The money is already in a bank account. Why do they need to take it out at all? It’s either clean already or never will be.
They’re taking the money out of a clean account, via a cash point, then laundering it through. It’s usually vulnerable people’s accounts (or a way of re-paying money) by syphoning off peoples benefits. They often tried to set up a joint account so the gang could control one of the cards but the banks cracked down on that.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I’m lost on this too - surely the point of laundering money is to get it into a clean account?
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I don't get it either.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

I did train on money laundering scams when I worked in banks. I am wondering of the missing step here is dodgy peeps giving "mules" cash to put in their accounts and the dogies then take it out of that account and into one of their own, but even then, it seems a bloody daft scheme which doesn't actually launder the money.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I didnt get it either.

When I knew a few criminals as a youth one of them got his girlfriend, who worked in a supermarket on a till, to swap 200 quids of fake 20s in said till. Being super brainy she put 11, with the same serial numbers, back so the till didn't add up. :roll: :lol: You know the rest of the story.
Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

It was tradition on a night out to catch mate out at cash machine and hit the 200. I got done a few times, as a student it was a lot of dolla.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Rich B wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:21 pm I’m lost on this too - surely the point of laundering money is to get it into a clean account?
Person on benefits gets paid money into their account X day of the week/month. They owe some local gang money for drugs or whatever dodgy thing is going on. Or they’re just simply vulnerable in some way.

Gang use mules to withdraw the cash from the good bank accounts because they know there’s CCTV in use and the same person/gang members using the cash machine will quickly get linked and lifted to the ongoing crime. Once the gang has the cash out the machine they need to get it into another bank account, so the mule goes and pays it in there. The reason being they can’t do things like purchase a car with cash, or keep stacks of cash in their dodgy house either. The amount they’re ripping people off means they often have several ‘final’ bank accounts they pay into and they also move the money around these accounts.

If they took the money from the originating bank account by bank transfer then they’d be quickly caught if one of the vulnerable people raised it. By adding the step in of converting to cash and using other people to prevent their identities being found is the means of laundering it through.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

That’s not money laundering.