Decent Recent TV

16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Decent Recent TV

Post by 16vCento »

Gomorrah on Sky Atlantic, best thing I've seem since The Wire and Sopranos, very good, it is in Italian and subtitled though.

Also started Orange is the new Black, which had a good 1st season, but the second seems to have started a bit slowly.
RobYob

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by RobYob »

The Expanse just started its third series and is again looking excellent.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Ugly Delicious

Food series on Netflix, fascinating stuff. I never knew fried chicken and watermelon was racist.

https://www.netflix.com/au/title/80170368
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Mr Pish
Currently Driving: Model 3 Performance

Post by Mr Pish »

unzippy wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:21 am Ugly Delicious

Food series on Netflix, fascinating stuff. I never knew fried chicken and watermelon was racist.

its pretty big insult in the US along with grape soda, there's a very well used meme for it

just found Ideal http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417332/on itunes, so that's my next viewing sorted after clone wars and rebels :mrgreen:
Join us, join the Teslarati!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Aye Ugly Delicious was pretty good, I piled through the whole thing in a day or two while I was working from home during all that snow.

New Legion has started well. First couple of episodes have been bonkers.
An absolute unit
Steve_B

Post by Steve_B »

Has anybody watched Shifting Gears with Aaron Kaufman ?, I enjoyed him on Fast n Loud, but I am not sure whether he has got what it takes to be the main presenter of a program.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I watched the first episode on the Motortrend app, it was alright. Same basic formula as all the other Discovery car shows though.
An absolute unit
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I hope everyone watched This Country series 2. Best new comedy in years. I imagine JL,Evostick and the Choos are probably in it.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Still enjoying Mr Robot on Amazon Prime. About to start season 3.
Left over crest; tightens.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

16vCento wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:26 pm Gomorrah on Sky Atlantic, best thing I've seem since The Wire and Sopranos, very good, it is in Italian and subtitled though.

Gomorrah is fucking awesome!!
Beany

Post by Beany »

RobYob wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:55 pm The Expanse just started its third series and is again looking excellent.
Ah, good call.

Must check this out, I'd forgotten it was back on!

FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Got reminded of this by the (really rather poor) Netflix film that came out, and decided to rewatch it. Netflix splits it into five seasons, which is probably wise as otherwise it's terribly bingeable once it gets going.

The plot is a bit weird to explain (alt history/universe early 20th century, alchemy is a thing and is an everyday 'trade' for the few who can do it) but the way it's all explained and the internal consistency is quite excellent and it doesn't really feel particularly 'silly'.

First bunch of episodes take a bit of time introducing the concepts and characters, then you get to the meat of it and it does some lovely twists and turns, has some great characters, and then it tails off a bit at the end.

Definitely worth if if you're lacking in things to watch, or want a break from the six Marvel shows your watching concurrently.

8 attempts at making a person from their consituent components out of 10.

(explanatory note - Brotherhood is an updated anime based on the completed manga and is considered 'canonically correct'; the original series was based on the partly completed manga, and is still worth it if you accidentally find the 'wrong' one, it just takes a different path towards the end)
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Mr Pish wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:36 am

its pretty big insult in the US along with grape soda, there's a very well used meme for it

just found Ideal http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417332/on itunes, so that's my next viewing sorted after clone wars and rebels :mrgreen:
Bollox, innit.

How can food be racist. If it tastes good, it tastes good. That's all there is to it.
If someone else has a problem with it - well, they have a problem.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

unzippy wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:41 pm
Mr Pish wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:36 am

Bollox, innit.

How can food be racist. If it tastes good, it tastes good. That's all there is to it.
If someone else has a problem with it - well, they have a problem.
The food in itself obviously isn't racist. When it's used as a racial stereotype, it becomes part of something racist. They explained it quite well in the show I thought.
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Steve_B wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:51 am Has anybody watched Shifting Gears with Aaron Kaufman ?, I enjoyed him on Fast n Loud, but I am not sure whether he has got what it takes to be the main presenter of a program.
like many of the other discovery efforts, its lacking “risk of failure” element. The really successful shows are based on actual businesses that are interesting enough to follow, and can win a or lose.

American chopper, FnL, tanked, even wheeler dealers could lose money on the car and “fail”. Without that actual risk it’s all just a little flat.
David_Yu

Post by David_Yu »

Really looking forward to the new series of Westworld in a couple of weeks. If you didn't watch S1 back in 2016, I urge you to watch it now. It's on Sky Box Sets, but I've borrowed the 4k Blu Ray off my neighbour. Disappointingly few extras on the discs though.
Mr Pish

Post by Mr Pish »

Lost in space

Lasted 6 mins, the altimeter showing meters but the computer saying feet for the ameritards...

The ship sinks falls through the ice it landed on and they have to rush because all the water is going to freeze as it hits -60c at night, that’s some temperature cycle the planet goes through that all the water except the surface melts during the day and then the lot freezes solid in 2 minutes
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Barry

Unenthusiastic hitman wants to be an actor. Yeah I know it sounds awful but it really isn't! Give it a go. Well acted and very funny.
Last edited by JLv3.0 on Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Mr Pish wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:09 am Lost in space

Lasted 6 mins, the altimeter showing meters but the computer saying feet for the ameritards...

The ship sinks falls through the ice it landed on and they have to rush because all the water is going to freeze as it hits -60c at night, that’s some temperature cycle the planet goes through that all the water except the surface melts during the day and then the lot freezes solid in 2 minutes
Sounds like this isn't the documentary for you Eric.
Mr Pish

Post by Mr Pish »

JLv3.0 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:22 am
Mr Pish wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:09 am Lost in space

Sounds like this isn't the documentary for you Eric.
Its just not the same without Attenborough
Wilspeed

Post by Wilspeed »

Trust. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5664952/

It's about the Getty family in the early seventies. Donald Sutherland is John Paul Getty. Enjoyed the first three episodes a lot.
Cunt.