Bye Bye Boris!

Nefarious

Re: Bye Bye Boris!

Post by Nefarious »

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding, but that all sounds EXACTLY like the symptoms of poverty:
Primarily cash/black economy
Snazzy cars bought on tick
Petty crime

Poverty, in a first world context, doesn't necessarily mean people starving or begging on the streets. It means lack of security and a sense of desperation that leads people to look for survival and security through their pre-established social tribes and engage increasingly in crime and other activities outside the mainstream economy.

Again, I ask - what is specific about these people being non-British that creates the problem, and would you still be looking to the same solutions if they were born in the uk?

I spent my late teens and early 20s in Camberwell/Elephant (south london). It was rough-ish, but with exactly the same issues you describe (street crime, open black economy, etc etc). The population was primarily white uk-born, with maybe 20-25% afro-Caribbean. Of course the same allegations were levelled - its "them" who are causing the problems; "they" aren't like us; "they" don't want to integrate etc etc. They truth was that mostly everyone was struggling to one extent or another, and when people are forced to fight for their share of the pie, there is always a tendency to turn against your immediate rivals for the scraps you've been forced to share.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Nefarious wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:07 pm Apologies if I'm misunderstanding, but that all sounds EXACTLY like the symptoms of poverty:
Primarily cash/black economy
Snazzy cars bought on tick
Petty crime

Poverty, in a first world context, doesn't necessarily mean people starving or begging on the streets. It means lack of security and a sense of desperation that leads people to look for survival and security through their pre-established social tribes and engage increasingly in crime and other activities outside the mainstream economy.

Again, I ask - what is specific about these people being non-British that creates the problem, and would you still be looking to the same solutions if they were born in the uk?

I spent my late teens and early 20s in Camberwell/Elephant (south london). It was rough-ish, but with exactly the same issues you describe (street crime, open black economy, etc etc). The population was primarily white uk-born, with maybe 20-25% afro-Caribbean. Of course the same allegations were levelled - its "them" who are causing the problems; "they" aren't like us; "they" don't want to integrate etc etc. They truth was that mostly everyone was struggling to one extent or another, and when people are forced to fight for their share of the pie, there is always a tendency to turn against your immediate rivals for the scraps you've been forced to share.
I can see what you mean.

Before you had just arseholes causing trouble, now it’s organised groups. It also happened really quickly. Maybe it would have happened without such large groups but then why would they separate themselves when people never used to do that ? Plus the 80s in Peterborough was hardly full of milk and honey.

Maybe the place was destined to go in this direction anyway but doing more of the same just seems crazy to me.

A placeholder on this thread for 10 years time. We are either an island destitute and feeding on scraps or part of the EU collective and readying ourselves for conscription.

Dave!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

There's a Danish saying that comes to mind when I read this. It roughly translates as "a surplus is needed to foster generosity of spirit and openness of mind". While it is a generalisation and there will always be those that buck the trend, I've found it to be mostly true, something I also saw in Longbridge in 2008 while doing research for my degree.

It is difficult to be open and generous if your own foundations are shaky and it doesn't take much to start the "them and us", irrespective of what dividing line is used.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

For what it’s worth, I don’t believe there’ll be a return to the Troubles, no matter what happens in all this.

Northern Ireland sectarianism is driven by criminal activity more and more these days- drugs and protection rackets. (Say 20% Rev...😉) . That won’t change. If anything, increased security at the border will curtail the IRA’s activities a bit.

I lived through the 70’s and 80’s and those days are over thank god
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

JLv3.0 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:17 pm Shall we just give up on trying to extract actual content out of Broccers for the day and recommence tomorrow for an identical round of question and deflection?
You may have noticed no-one is replying to your posts.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

JLv3.0 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:17 pm Shall we just give up on trying to extract actual content out of Broccers for the day and recommence tomorrow for an identical round of question and deflection?
Yes.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

DeskJockey wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:31 pm
Yes.
Correction apart from CV cunts. That's how it goes.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Broccers wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:24 pm
You may have noticed no-one is replying to your posts.
Conclusive proof that you see what you want to see!
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

The backstop ‘replacement’ looks interesting, I’m not sure how the government propose to actually manage it robustly though because you can’t just rely on the good nature of people to stick their hands up and pay the relevant import taxes. If it gets voted through I can see a lot of businesses wanting to re-locate to NI so they can have easier trade routes with the EU.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Broccers

Post by Broccers »

JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:57 pm This you Broccers?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/1 ... psychosis/
Hahaha. The guy had his first mental breakdown way before Brexit was even voted on if you look into it ;)

Here you go - https://www.independent.co.uk/news/heal ... 27841.html

The man recovered within a fortnight after a brief admission and treatment with olanzapine, an anti-psychotic. He had experienced a similar episode 13 years previously following work-related stress.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Keep taking the meds fella 😂
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:15 pm Keep taking the meds fella 😂
Yeah clearly didnt in this case :lol:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Orange Cola wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:27 pm The backstop ‘replacement’ looks interesting, I’m not sure how the government propose to actually manage it robustly though because you can’t just rely on the good nature of people to stick their hands up and pay the relevant import taxes. If it gets voted through I can see a lot of businesses wanting to re-locate to NI so they can have easier trade routes with the EU.
How does it currently work? Presumably there is some excise/tax check that happens in some form? It is a foreign country after all?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Freedom of movement means there’s no need for excise or tax checks. That’s what Customs Union means.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I don't get it. If the DUP are prepared to back an inland border, why not just stick it in the fvcking sea like was suggested originally?
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Rich B wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:15 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:27 pm The backstop ‘replacement’ looks interesting, I’m not sure how the government propose to actually manage it robustly though because you can’t just rely on the good nature of people to stick their hands up and pay the relevant import taxes. If it gets voted through I can see a lot of businesses wanting to re-locate to NI so they can have easier trade routes with the EU.
How does it currently work? Presumably there is some excise/tax check that happens in some form? It is a foreign country after all?
As per Revs comments. Plus, if we get a decent trade deal with the EU which is just like what we have today then we probably won’t need the checks anyway, because there will be nothing that needs checking. Assuming we get a very similar trade deal in place to what we have today then anything from outside the EU will end up going through the current usual routes into the UK anyway. One can but dream :(
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:29 pm Freedom of movement means there’s no need for excise or tax checks. That’s what Customs Union means.
Ah yes, good point, what about stuff potentially originating from elsewhere though - surely there is a process for checking them?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Rich B wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:49 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:29 pm Freedom of movement means there’s no need for excise or tax checks. That’s what Customs Union means.
Ah yes, good point, what about stuff potentially originating from elsewhere though - surely there is a process for checking them?
Checked at point of entry ie ports and airports if from outside EU.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:34 am
Rich B wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:49 pm
Checked at point of entry ie ports and airports if from outside EU.
As an example my Mustang arrived in Amsterdam, it cleared customs there and then via the Customs Union arrangement it moved freely to the UK.

What we have today is a really good trade set up. I don’t think I’ve heard a brexiteer moan about that but they think it’s worth giving up that level of easy trade for “taking back control”, which I still don’t fully understand.