Elite Dangerous

RobYob

Re: Elite Dangerous

Post by RobYob »

Blowing up asteroids for diamonds and opals is great fun. Shockwave knocks the ship around a lot.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Anybody playing, signed up to the Distant Worlds 2 expedition?

They got a good luck message from Chris Hadfield.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dw-W7fMWkAA4kv9.jpg
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Made it to the edge, 'Salomé's Reach' (Oevasy SG-Y D0 B 9 F) 65,647Ly from Sol.
Because of distant worlds 2 there's a few other players out here.
It's a hell of a long way back, probably take a few months to reach civilisation again.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

8-)
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Now only 8000LY from the bubble I've stopped to search for Notable Stellar Phenomena see if I can get a first discovered tag on one.

Once I'm back it might be time to do the Imperial rank grind to get a Cutter.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

I've missed this. Might spend a bit on the PS store.

Former OG and Frontier player. Does the universe work in the same way as those games just with a shitload more added on?

Carl.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

It's regularly on sale so I'd wait until there's a 50+% off sale before grabbing it, you'll probably want the Horizons DLC too (planetary landings and ship upgrades).

It's close to the very original version, as in you make your own goals and try to find your own fun in the galactic sandpit.

I played Frontier FE and remember there was a fairly long and involved story, there was probably all the sandpit stuff too but to me it was secondary at the time.

So yeah, if being a space jock in a completely indifferent galay appeals, E-D is great, there's plenty to see and do, none of it will make a jot of difference except to yourself.

The expected DLC for 2020 is spacelegs (walk around your ship, why, I don't know) and player bases, that could be cool.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

RobYob wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:30 pm It's regularly on sale so I'd wait until there's a 50+% off sale before grabbing it, you'll probably want the Horizons DLC too (planetary landings and ship upgrades).

It's close to the very original version, as in you make your own goals and try to find your own fun in the galactic sandpit.

I played Frontier FE and remember there was a fairly long and involved story, there was probably all the sandpit stuff too but to me it was secondary at the time.

So yeah, if being a space jock in a completely indifferent galay appeals, E-D is great, there's plenty to see and do, none of it will make a jot of difference except to yourself.

The expected DLC for 2020 is spacelegs (walk around your ship, why, I don't know) and player bases, that could be cool.
It was elite 2 frontier on the Amiga I played not the later games. Shame I can’t take my puma clipper from that into dangerous. It was fitted with military weapons all around and was a total beast. I only made competent ranking though. I’ll keep an eye out for the discount though. Not that desperate to get going but it’s something different to play.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

drcarlos wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:39 pm It was elite 2 frontier on the Amiga I played not the later games. Shame I can’t take my puma clipper from that into dangerous. It was fitted with military weapons all around and was a total beast. I only made competent ranking though. I’ll keep an eye out for the discount though. Not that desperate to get going but it’s something different to play.
I jumped a decade or so from C64 Elite to First Encounters on PC.

Don't know much about Puma Clipper, lots of people want the mega capacity of the Panther Clipper for trading in the game.

Not sure they'll put in anything with substantially more firepowr than the current Corvette though. PVP meta is medium ships anyway.

I'm hoping for some new and interesting ships with the 2020 DLC. Although I've only one of the "Big Three" and about four billion credits short of being able to fully kit them all out. Current money making meta of Void Opal mining averages 100million an hour so I've a lot of space digging to go until got enough cash.

After leaving the core systems in November I'm now back to within 1500LY of Earth.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

So I've got to the stage of pissfarting about with power play now in order to get some of the special modules.

Money making meta has moved to double and triple hotspots where 200million/hour is reasonable for an amateur and.over 400 for the mad mapping miners.

I've now got the big 3 ships, although having at least as much fun in an Imperial Courier I've engineered to hit 850m/s while having enough shields to slams headfirst into things at 850m/s...

December's arrival of fleet carriers will hopefully shake things up a bit.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Sounds like things have moved on, I might need to dust this off over the weekend!

What's the craic with fleet carriers? Link please.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Oh, and if you've got an update on the best way to make money, let me know!
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Not a lot of new content in the September patch (a whole heap of bugs though) but the new training sim is quite good.

Fleet carriers, hold a heap of your own and friends ships, 500LY jump range, indestructible, unknown mechanics.

Mining meta (and ergo money making meta at the moment) is either Void opal cores or Painite/Low Temperature Diamond laser mining in double/triple "hotspots". I've been frequenting the Borann triple diamond hotspot and it takes me 2-4 hours to casually fill 512 tonnes of LTDs which sell for about 600million at a good system.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I haven't played in a long time, so there's probably been a few patches...
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Last time I played Elite was on my beloved old Acorn Electron.

It looked a bit different.

RobYob

Post by RobYob »

It's gotten several orders of magnitude prettier and easier since then 8-)
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

RobYob wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:43 pm It's gotten several orders of magnitude prettier and easier since then 8-)
And bigger too.

I think thy original game was something like 20k?

Ridiculous.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

RobYob wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:53 am Not a lot of new content in the September patch (a whole heap of bugs though) but the new training sim is quite good.

Fleet carriers, hold a heap of your own and friends ships, 500LY jump range, indestructible, unknown mechanics.

Mining meta (and ergo money making meta at the moment) is either Void opal cores or Painite/Low Temperature Diamond laser mining in double/triple "hotspots". I've been frequenting the Borann triple diamond hotspot and it takes me 2-4 hours to casually fill 512 tonnes of LTDs which sell for about 600million at a good system.
I had a go at this, I'm not sure I understand about this overlapping of hotspots right. I tried to follow what he did, but I only found a couple with Painite in and it was only 8-10%.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Yeah doesn't sound like you've found the right spot. IIRC someone did the numbers for Low Temperature Diamonds and it wasn't worth mining any asteroid with less than 17% I imagine it's similar for Painite, they should be fairly numerous too although you sometimes get stuck in an unlucky low yield zone but boost a km away and it should be normal to find 20%+ rocks every two or three that you prospect.

Here's a handy website http://edtools.ddns.net/miner plug in where you are and what you want to mine (LTD and Painite for laser strip mining, Void Opals for explosive core mining) and it'll tell you where the nearest double/triple hotspot is and where the nearest/best sale price is at that moment. The sale price can change while you're out mining so worth double checking with Inara as it is updated more regularly and occasioanlly you find a better deal not too much further away.

When you arrive at a hotspot each spot in you're nav panel should be fairly close, for example the Borann triple LTD hotspot if you're at the correct overlap spot each marker is around 20Mm or less distance. Bear in mind each ring may have multiple single hotspots as well as the doubles and triples to confuse you.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

RobYob wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:01 pm Yeah doesn't sound like you've found the right spot. IIRC someone did the numbers for Low Temperature Diamonds and it wasn't worth mining any asteroid with less than 17% I imagine it's similar for Painite, they should be fairly numerous too although you sometimes get stuck in an unlucky low yield zone but boost a km away and it should be normal to find 20%+ rocks every two or three that you prospect.

Here's a handy website http://edtools.ddns.net/miner plug in where you are and what you want to mine (LTD and Painite for laser strip mining, Void Opals for explosive core mining) and it'll tell you where the nearest double/triple hotspot is and where the nearest/best sale price is at that moment. The sale price can change while you're out mining so worth double checking with Inara as it is updated more regularly and occasioanlly you find a better deal not too much further away.

When you arrive at a hotspot each spot in you're nav panel should be fairly close, for example the Borann triple LTD hotspot if you're at the correct overlap spot each marker is around 20Mm or less distance. Bear in mind each ring may have multiple single hotspots as well as the doubles and triples to confuse you.
The last paragraph is where I'm going wrong I think. By hotspot do you mean Extraction Site? And if so, what do the different levels signify?

I just thought the overlap was an area in the middle of two close Extraction Sites.