BBQs

McSwede

Re: BBQs

Post by McSwede »

This thread has brought me much happiness!!!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

JLv3.0 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:10 am
I really am enjoying learning the theory of how steaks are cooked, after years and years of being disappointed with how they turned out, whilst wanting to punch a few of my best mates square in the face for being really fucking good at it :D
It's all about that Maillard reaction.

I'm really good at cooking meat, to the point that I still have to occasionally cook it for my missus and other friends even though I don't eat it any more :lol:.
An absolute unit
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

JLv3.0 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:10 am
I've also realised that food cooked by someone else always tastes better, even when it isn't. That said, I've now broken the ability to go out for steaks as I prefer the way mine turn out. Bit of a bugger really.
Also see pulled pork, brisket, burgers etc. :D
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Right, well I'm now in a position to start looking for a bbq for next summer. Yes it will be gas, sorry, but I'm lazy and I'll get more use out of it... oh, the shame.

I'm thinking about a Weber Q3200. I was initially thinking about a Genesis II E310, but when I looked at it in the shop I realised it is a behemoth of a thing. Although a fair bit smaller, the Q3200 would probably be good enough for my needs and is also cheaper. Seems to have good reviews online.

Any thoughts from the non-gas-haterz?
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

duncs500 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:57 pm Right, well I'm now in a position to start looking for a bbq for next summer. Yes it will be gas, sorry, but I'm lazy and I'll get more use out of it... oh, the shame.

I'm thinking about a Weber Q3200. I was initially thinking about a Genesis II E310, but when I looked at it in the shop I realised it is a behemoth of a thing. Although a fair bit smaller, the Q3200 would probably be good enough for my needs and is also cheaper. Seems to have good reviews online.

May I add that with restaurant quality charcoal and a weber chimney I can be ready to cook in minutes. It's so dry it gets going in no time. Much quicker than conventional charcoal or briquttes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

I have to try and covert you away from grilling to "proper" BBQing :lol:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

duncs500 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:57 pma bbq for next summer.
Is there a particularly long lead time in bbqs or something?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Rich B wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:13 pm
Genuine lol :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

duncs500 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:57 pm Right, well I'm now in a position to start looking for a bbq for next summer. Yes it will be gas, sorry, but I'm lazy and I'll get more use out of it... oh, the shame.

I was intending to get one in the sales too, Weber Spirit II should be pretty much as good as the Genesis but only if you’re careful to about the original Spirit which doesn’t have the cast grills etc. You could always go 2-burner (210) if you think it’s a bit big.

If you do spot a deal, post it!
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

:D Well I couldn't buy one earlier because I was moving house and didn't want to move extra shit, and is it not better to buy off season anyway?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:49 am I was intending to get one in the sales too, Weber Spirit II should be pretty much as good as the Genesis but only if you’re careful to about the original Spirit which doesn’t have the cast grills etc. You could always go 2-burner (210) if you think it’s a bit big.

If you do spot a deal, post it!
I'll have a look at that. I was thinking of seeing if there were any bargains on black Friday.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I've got a Spirit II - absolutely love it. Can't really comment on how it compares to other models as I've never tried them but for me it's perfect.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

duncs500 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:55 am
:D Well I couldn't buy one earlier because I was moving house and didn't want to move extra shit, and is it not better to buy off season anyway?
if you can get a much cheaper price, then sure - but buying something that you won’t be using for 8 months is a bit odd mate! Who knows what will happen before next summer!
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Rich B wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:57 am
Rich B wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:13 pm Is there a particularly long lead time in bbqs or something?
if you can get a much cheaper price, then sure - but buying something that you won’t be using for 8 months is a bit odd mate! Who knows what will happen before next summer!
It’d have to be a hell of a lifestyle change to rule out a summer bbq.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Why would you only BBQ during summer? If the weather is good you can do it whenever, doesn’t have to be t-shirt weather.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:13 pm Is there a particularly long lead time in bbqs or something?
Yeah, a No Deal Brexit might change Duncs’ mind... 🤪

I have a photo of my mother roasting potatoes on the bbq on Christmas Day in the snow because the oven element was failing.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:26 am Why would you only BBQ during summer? If the weather is good you can do it whenever, doesn’t have to be t-shirt weather.
This is fact. No such thing as bad weather, etc. I've been to NYE BBQs in the UK before.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Aye There's nothing like barbequing in december with the beers buried in a snow drift to keep them cold :lol:.
An absolute unit
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

I'll have to get some propane for the winter months then :lol:

Seriously though I have a couple of Cadac Carrichefs so it's more outdoor grilling or more often hotplate cooking but you can't beat them for a do it all when we're racing. Our old Cadac has now become the fixture at home where the newer and much lighter model travels with us.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I used to do a lot of cold smoking over an old school charcoal fire and the only way to do that and keep the temps sufficiently low was to do it when the temperature outside was below freezing.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I can live with a bit odd. :)

Isn't it better to buy it cheap, and even if it doesn't get used this side of Christmas, stick it in the garage ready for that first nice day. The alternative is to panic buy one for more money when the nice day appears... I dunno, maybe my logic is flawed.