The Motorbikerist Thread

JLv3.0

Re: The Motorbikerist Thread

Post by JLv3.0 »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:07 pm I think I'll give up on it until spring.
Chip away at it. If you leave it until spring I guarantee it won't be done in time for when you want to use it. Ask me how I know, etc.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:34 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:07 pm I think I'll give up on it until spring.
Chip away at it. If you leave it until spring I guarantee it won't be done in time for when you want to use it. Ask me how I know, etc.
Yeah, I’ll sort the head bearings (already got all the bits) and the oil leak.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Barry

Post by Barry »

Tracer was in the dealer this morning, the few ABS light triggers recently left no error logs and after the mechanic had a nice little jolly ragging it round Wigan he confirmed it was all working fine. Which I fugging knew as I told them it was fine other than the light appearing a few times.

Dealer had a Tenere700 in too, but no demo bikes until December he reckoned, as they can't meet orders even. Had a good poke about, it's a nice machine in final product condition, big but not intimidating big. I can see me getting one at some point.. whether that means the Tracer goes or I find somewhere to store yet another bike.. (it'd make a good commuter, once the Fazer becomes unreliable)

After a few days chasing S2000, MX5 and GT3 in Scotland I'm back perusing Boxster/Caymans as well..
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Barry wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:03 pm After a few days chasing S2000, MX5 and GT3 in Scotland I'm back perusing Boxster/Caymans as well..
That s2000 sounds nice. I am awaiting my euro mills win tomorrow to decide what to buy :lol:
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Broccers wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:13 pm
Barry wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:03 pm After a few days chasing S2000, MX5 and GT3 in Scotland I'm back perusing Boxster/Caymans as well..
That s2000 sounds nice. I am awaiting my euro mills win tomorrow to decide what to buy :lol:
I wasn’t planning on splitting it...
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:14 pm
Broccers wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:13 pm
I wasn’t planning on splitting it...
How mean. I was going to give you 1000 quid to fix your shitheap too :lol:

167 million pounds is a decent sum of money.
Barry

Post by Barry »

When I win that money I'll still struggle deciding tbh, just watched another Taycan vid and they're quite cool too.

I'll need a tarmac rally spec something or other to give YK a harder time next year too.
Marv

Post by Marv »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:07 pm I'm also halfway through replacing the steering head bearings that don't want to come out.
Welded themselves in?
Oui, je suis un motard.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Nope, someone has over tightened the bearing locking nut and I’m trying not to destroy it whilst removing it.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:27 am So September is service time for all three bikes as the summer relents and it's time to start using them again.

I think I might be enjoying this less, the more of it I do :lol:

Super Tenere - I'm very much "on the spectrum" when it comes to following service schedules, and the book says replace the flexible brake and clutch lines after 4 years, which is now. OK cool, so a good excuse to fit braided lines and not worry about the rubber lines degrading again. Except this means removing the old flexible lines from the solid pipes, and they had all essentially welded themselves together. Had to order new solid pipes from the US and they've only just been shipped after placing the order two weeks back.

My S1000RR - nothing particularly noteworthy, just every single little thing on it was way more difficult than it should have been, and of course each time the belly pan and fairings come off, a tab or two breaks off and it needs ever more fettling to get back together. Anyway - done now.

Her S1000RR - can't quite face it yet 🤦‍♂️
Bar a bashplate to re-fit to the S10, this is finally over - fk me what a ridiculous amount of work that all was!

Must have taken me two whole days to fit the new brake and clutch lines, a couple of hours to get the brakes bled and say five hours to do the same to the clutch. I have a feeling I might not be very good at this type of stuff!

Oh and on the Mrs's BMW I broke a speed bleeder off inside the banjo bolt (none of that is a euphemism) but a hastily purchased Eazy-Out kit sorted that, which was very satisfying.

Guess I should consider taking one or other of them for a ride at some point.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Crazy talk.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

So my replacement gel seat didnt fit and is now on ebay for the same price I paid for it - 55 quid. A nice fellow on the facebook gsxr group has offered me a correct fitting one ...... for 150 quid. How to help a fellow biker out. Apparently they are 250 new. Bit steep for a seat I think.

I might take it out on sunday then thats it for the year.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Just get some cycling shorts with gel inserts.

Weather is crap this side of the Pennines too, I'm at J&S trying not to buy more bike stuff.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Barry wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:48 pm Just get some cycling shorts with gel inserts.

Weather is crap this side of the Pennines too, I'm at J&S trying not to buy more bike stuff.
Good call Bazza.

Are you going to the bike show this year? I haven't seen any new bikes this year that I really want to go and sit on. Plus the prices are insane. I am sure 20 years ago a R6 was 3500 quid or was I dreaming - 20 large for a bike that will be dragged off as soon as your backs turned seems a bit steep.
Barry

Post by Barry »

A few have recommended gel shorts to me now, seems like a cheap fix if it works.

I'll probably go the NEC yeah, just for the day out though as nothing new really appeals. The new CRF1100 looks cool and has the upgrades everyones been moaning about, but prices are stupid yeah.

Tenere700 is the only thing that tempts me at the moment, basic-ish machine and it'll cope with Welsh B roads quite well I suspect. And Scotland when I manage to get back up there.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I used to love going but parking my car at over 10 quid plus tickets to visit basically a show to get you to buy a new bike / gear is a massive slap in the face. It should be free if you think about it.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Agreed, although I went on the bike last year, free indoor parking. It is a massive rip off over all though, but by the end of November I'm bored sh!tless so any biking fix is worth paying for.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I know mate - why do they have it in November? Its because most of us drive and can buy more shit to take home in our cars. :)
Barry

Post by Barry »

Broccers wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:55 pm I know mate - why do they have it in November? Its because most of us drive and can buy more shit to take home in our cars. :)
Ha, no doubt. It's not too keep entry prices down is it.
Marv

Post by Marv »

Barry wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:42 pm A few have recommended gel shorts to me now, seems like a cheap fix if it works.

I'll probably go the NEC yeah, just for the day out though as nothing new really appeals. The new CRF1100 looks cool and has the upgrades everyones been moaning about, but prices are stupid yeah.

Tenere700 is the only thing that tempts me at the moment, basic-ish machine and it'll cope with Welsh B roads quite well I suspect. And Scotland when I manage to get back up there.
It's a shame with the Africa Twin, Honda didnt just give the existing one a decent refresh and develop and offer a 700-800cc Africa Twin, to rival the Tenere 700.
Oui, je suis un motard.