Bye Bye Boris!

NotoriousREV

Re: Bye Bye Boris!

Post by NotoriousREV »

evostick wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:06 am
Jobbo wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:04 am We had a civil war around 370 years ago - why do you want to have another?
Thin out the deadwood. Dave and Beany for a start.
Nah, it’ll be the unskilled cannon fodder going in the first wave.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Ignoring the leave/remain divide for a moment, whatever the outcome on 31 October or whatever extended deadline may come up, what do people think this country will be like? If we had a second referendum and voted to remain, that wouldn't be the end of it. If we leave, that would also not be the end of it; there'd be some Farage-like counterpart banging on about rejoining the EU. And every single inconvenience, expense or delay at the border would niggle away at individuals, giving that person traction.

Is there a middle ground? Perhaps; what about the Norway type deals people have talked about? Being out of the EU but in single market and customs union, but having to cede control to the ECJ on matters relating to trade with Europe (there always has to be a forum for resolution of cross-border deals). Is that something that leave supporters would even countenance? It could be a nice stable existence which knocks the leave/remain argument into a minority discussion.
dan

Post by dan »

I think it'll be exactly the same but some things will get a lot more expensive.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

dan wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:16 am I think it'll be exactly the same but some things will get a lot more expensive.
and some things will get cheaper. :lol:
Richard

Post by Richard »

Broccers wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:18 am
dan wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:16 am I think it'll be exactly the same but some things will get a lot more expensive.
What things will be cheaper?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

What about the political landscape?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:12 am Ignoring the leave/remain divide for a moment, whatever the outcome on 31 October or whatever extended deadline may come up, what do people think this country will be like? If we had a second referendum and voted to remain, that wouldn't be the end of it. If we leave, that would also not be the end of it; there'd be some Farage-like counterpart banging on about rejoining the EU. And every single inconvenience, expense or delay at the border would niggle away at individuals, giving that person traction.

Is there a middle ground? Perhaps; what about the Norway type deals people have talked about? Being out of the EU but in single market and customs union, but having to cede control to the ECJ on matters relating to trade with Europe (there always has to be a forum for resolution of cross-border deals). Is that something that leave supporters would even countenance? It could be a nice stable existence which knocks the leave/remain argument into a minority discussion.
The latter is exactly what I've been banging on about for a while. As far as I can see it's the only way to bring two increasingly divided sides together. You both get a bit of the respective pies you want, just not all of them.

What's the deal with the ECJ/trade aspect btw? I know EFTA has its own Court and I understood that it could essentially veto certain trade requirements of the EU, but I can't recall the detail.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Richard wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:22 am
Possibly milk, cheese etc; until the farmers stop producing because it's not cost-effective, when they'll become rare and expensive.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:24 am The latter is exactly what I've been banging on about for a while. As far as I can see it's the only way to bring two increasingly divided sides together. You both get a bit of the respective pies you want, just not all of them.

What's the deal with the ECJ/trade aspect btw? I know EFTA has its own Court and I understood that it could essentially veto certain trade requirements of the EU, but I can't recall the detail.
I'm not convinced there's sufficient will to compromise on either side to reach a Norway style deal; anyway, Norway might not be subject to the ECJ's jurisdiction but I suggested it as a sensible forum for resolution of disputes cross-border for the UK and EU. That's not automatically the case.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:24 am

Possibly milk, cheese etc; until the farmers stop producing because it's not cost-effective, when they'll become rare and expensive.
The items that will have less eu imposed tariffs :lol:
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:26 am
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:24 am The latter is exactly what I've been banging on about for a while. As far as I can see it's the only way to bring two increasingly divided sides together. You both get a bit of the respective pies you want, just not all of them.

I'm not convinced there's sufficient will to compromise on either side to reach a Norway style deal; anyway, Norway might not be subject to the ECJ's jurisdiction but I suggested it as a sensible forum for resolution of disputes cross-border for the UK and EU. That's not automatically the case.
No, I think that ship sailed a long time ago, sadly - largely thanks to May's hapless approach. Had MPs not been whipped in the round of votes earlier this year, there's a chance it could have been on the table then - I was holding out hope at the time for some common sense to prevail.
dan

Post by dan »

Broccers wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:28 am
Jobbo wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:24 am

The items that will have less eu imposed tariffs :lol:
Does anyone actually know or have examples of any of these and how they are likely to change though? Specifically relating to day to day items that we all buy / use / eat etc? I know I don't and a quick google to find the answer isn't very straight forward it seems.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

dan wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:33 am Does anyone actually know or have examples of any of these and how they are likely to change though? Specifically relating to day to day items that we all buy / use / eat etc? I know I don't and a quick google to find the answer isn't very straight forward it seems.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Ag ... ood_prices - not actual examples, but anything farmed in the UK could be cheaper once the Common Agricultural Policy ceases to apply. The problem being that if the EU has been incentivising farmers with payments to produce, those incentives also cease and they have no reason to sell products for less than the cost of production.
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

Even after all this time, I'm still not sure what would be best. One day, I'll stay with my original plan of remaining, with the idea that we're all better off together as a united Europe. But then another day, I'll be left thinking 'why is the EU making it so difficult for us to leave - why are they trying to trip us up?' Is it because deep down, they know we'll thrive out of the EU & other countries will see this & follow suit leading to the collapse if the EU? Something stinks & I'm not sure what.

Also, and this is the Gods honest truth, I've yet to meet (as in person, not on here) in real life anyone who voted leave that isn't a thick or uneducated knuckle dragging racist that has pie in the sky ideas that by voting leave, we'll soon get back to the good old days - Rule Brttania et al!

One thing for sure, regardless of what happens, Brexit has shown the public how innept our leaders are (again) and how little control the EU actually had over us. Yes, our own government made the majority of those stupid decisions that have led us here, while other EU countries sat back, laughed & thrived.

Unless there's a massive shake up in the way our government works, things will carry on the same - in or out of the EU.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
dan

Post by dan »

Gwaredd wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:40 am Even after all this time, I'm still not sure what would be best. One day, I'll stay with my original plan of remaining, with the idea that we're all better off together as a united Europe. But then another day, I'll be left thinking 'why is the EU making it so difficult for us to leave - why are they trying to trip us up?' Is it because deep down, they know we'll thrive out of the EU & other countries will see this & follow suit leading to the collapse if the EU? Something stinks & I'm not sure what.

Also, and this is the Gods honest truth, I've yet to meet (as in person, not on here) in real life anyone who voted leave that isn't a thick or uneducated knuckle dragging racist that has pie in the sky ideas that by voting leave, we'll soon get back to the good old days - Rule Brttania et al!

One thing for sure, regardless of what happens, Brexit has shown the public how innept our leaders are (again) and how little control the EU actually had over us. Yes, our own government made the majority of those stupid decisions that have led us here, while other EU countries sat back, laughed & thrived.

Unless there's a massive shake up in the way our government works, things will carry on the same - in or out of the EU.
Basically all of that, but in fairness I should add that I have met some leavers that knuckle draggers, but they're really old and also hark back to the good old days of ration books and blackouts.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Dave, good chops for having the balls to actually back up your position. However, it comes back to my point about people being hoodwinked.

We do have controls of our borders. We've effectively always had it.
But the biggest deception is this: we could easily have taken back control of our borders already under European Parliament and Council Directive 2004/38/EC, which allows EU member states to repatriate EU nationals after three months if they have not found a job or do not have the means to support themselves. In this month’s debate on the House of Lords EU subcommittee report on EU migration, I challenged the government on why we were not availing ourselves of this directive – and I got no response.
Now, you could argue that ghetto-isation would still occur even with tighter immigration controls - but that's a local government issue at that point, not an immigration issue because the government would have acted upon the concerns of their citizens and it would then be down to local authorities to deal with issues of social cohesion and integration (which they are far better placed to do than national government, due to them being on top of the realities on the ground).

The full article is worth a skim as it covers a lot of the absolute horseshit that was thrown about during the campaigns about immigration.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ive-brexit
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Sweden is far from thriving, I get the same threat level about travel from Nigeria as I do Sweden. This is from robberies, attacks etc. It’s by a company called Anvil.

Dave!
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Most Leavers think that the world will go back to as it was when they were kids or something. The world has changed, there's no going back, and quite right too.

I really hope we don't crash out, and then realise after the fact that it was a bad idea, we'll never get back in on the sweet terms we have now. It'll be fully in, currency and all next time.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Beany wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:46 am Dave, good chops for having the balls to actually back up your position. However, it comes back to my point about people being hoodwinked.

We do have controls of our borders. We've effectively always had it.
But the biggest deception is this: we could easily have taken back control of our borders already under European Parliament and Council Directive 2004/38/EC, which allows EU member states to repatriate EU nationals after three months if they have not found a job or do not have the means to support themselves. In this month’s debate on the House of Lords EU subcommittee report on EU migration, I challenged the government on why we were not availing ourselves of this directive – and I got no response.
Now, you could argue that ghetto-isation would still occur even with tighter immigration controls - but that's a local government issue at that point, not an immigration issue because the government would have acted upon the concerns of their citizens and it would then be down to local authorities to deal with issues of social cohesion and integration (which they are far better placed to do than national government, due to them being on top of the realities on the ground).

The full article is worth a skim as it covers a lot of the absolute horseshit that was thrown about during the campaigns about immigration.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ive-brexit
I said I couldn’t see how it could change under Europe, I can see that having a chance if we leave. I would be absolutely amazed if we came back and said we will introduce a points based system or whatever would work best and the EU just saying, yep no problem we will work with you on that.

These have been my feelings well before any talk of leaving the EU, I wasn’t hoodwinked by campaigns or shiny buses.

If someone is a benefit, whether by a skill, financially or lots of other reasons then come on in.

Dave!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Gwaredd wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:40 am 'why is the EU making it so difficult for us to leave - why are they trying to trip us up?' Is it because deep down, they know we'll thrive out of the EU & other countries will see this & follow suit leading to the collapse if the EU?
To be fair to the EU, they've mode no secret of the fact they need the UK's experience of leaving to act as a deterrent to others.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…