The Motorbikerist Thread

evostick

Re: The Motorbikerist Thread

Post by evostick »

duncs500 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:20 am Saw this at the Revival, thought it looked cool. Can you bike experts tell me whether it's any good or the British equivalent of a Harley?

It's a CCM Spitfire. Made in England in small numbers around a single cyl engine (Suzuki DRZ E). Very light, quite nippy and very cool imho.

Absolutely useless as a mode of transport of course but I'd love one. Currently going for about £10k used,

You can get the previous effort, known as the Flat Tracker for about half the money and it'll ride just as well I'm sure but it's not quite as appealing from a poseurs POV.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ccm-Ft35-Fla ... SwH1FdejV6

Or you could just get an old 404E like I used to have which has none of the pose but basically all the same running gear and is a very capable trail bike.

Marv

Post by Marv »

evostick wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:20 am
Or you could just get an old 404E like I used to have which has none of the pose but basically all the same running gear and is a very capable trail bike.

😎
Oui, je suis un motard.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

evostick wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:20 am
duncs500 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:20 am Saw this at the Revival, thought it looked cool. Can you bike experts tell me whether it's any good or the British equivalent of a Harley?

It's a CCM Spitfire. Made in England in small numbers around a single cyl engine (Suzuki DRZ E). Very light, quite nippy and very cool imho.

Absolutely useless as a mode of transport of course but I'd love one. Currently going for about £10k used,
Found an MCN review here.

If I ever did my bike licence this would be pretty appealing, given I'd be too scared if proper bikes! :lol:
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Simon wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:49 am ^^ Not sure if serious!?

If you're riding with one wheel off the ground then it's more than just 'careless' (as in 'oops, I made an error of judgement' but rather dangerous (as in, I can't stop, can't really steer, etc etc). Come on Rev, it's dangerous, plain and simple.
I tried to let this lie, but it turns out I can’t 😂

A wheelie is the bike equivalent of getting the back end out in your powerful RWD car. You can do it a little bit, or full-on dori style. Would you say that was “inherently dangerous”? Can’t stop? Can’t really steer? How big a slide is dangerous? All of them?

Like drifting, I’m not particularly good at wheelies, but they still happen (lots of torque and a relatively lightweight bike tends to launch the front wheel off lumps and bumps), same as I’ve had the Porsche sideways as well as other cars.

Show most people a video of a biker going about his business and most people would probably class it as dangerous anyway, so it’s a poor measure of how safe any of it actually is.

Did the guy use poor judgement in wheelieing past a car whilst speeding? Absolutely. Was it dangerous? Not to the point where he deserved an 18 month ban and a suspended sentence. People get less for nicking a car and smashing it round without insurance.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Rich B wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:31 pm

If you're riding with one wheel off the ground then it's more than just 'careless' (as in 'oops, I made an error of judgement' but rather dangerous (as in, I can't stop, can't really steer, etc etc). Come on Rev, it's dangerous, plain and simple.
thats not how “law” works Simon.
Also this. IIRC, something like 3/4 of all cases going to magistrates court end up being found guilty whereas it’s more like 50/50 at Crown.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

That sentence really was unbelievably harsh, wasn't it. Ah well - they must have caught all the murderers, rapists and paedos if they are able to spare the time now for bikers doing wheelies, so that's good news.
evostick

Post by evostick »

Being able to control a wheelie is a good skill to have and in no way in itself indicative of a bad or dangerous rider.

I've pulled them accidentally off the throttle quite a few times when on an unfamiliar bike and I'd say that it pays not to be likely to shit yourself when it happens.

That said, doing them for fun in a quiet area with no peds around may well be harmless fun but showing off like a cunt in a built-up area with people around is very silly.

Deserving of a ticking off and full inspection of the bike and relevant docs but nothing more imho.

Easy to garner the disapproval of the general public though by demonising DANGEROUS BIKERS as most of them don't ride and are secretly jealous of those that do.

Because we're so very fucking cool.

Apart from tim on his RT of course.

He just stinks of piss.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:09 am

I tried to let this lie, but it turns out I can’t 😂

A wheelie is the bike equivalent of getting the back end out in your powerful RWD car. You can do it a little bit, or full-on dori style. Would you say that was “inherently dangerous”? Can’t stop? Can’t really steer? How big a slide is dangerous? All of them?

Like drifting, I’m not particularly good at wheelies, but they still happen (lots of torque and a relatively lightweight bike tends to launch the front wheel off lumps and bumps), same as I’ve had the Porsche sideways as well as other cars.

Show most people a video of a biker going about his business and most people would probably class it as dangerous anyway, so it’s a poor measure of how safe any of it actually is.

Did the guy use poor judgement in wheelieing past a car whilst speeding? Absolutely. Was it dangerous? Not to the point where he deserved an 18 month ban and a suspended sentence. People get less for nicking a car and smashing it round without insurance.
Very well put. Things like this get disproportionately harsh treatment in comparison to some scrote who breaks into your house, threatens your family and steals your car for example.

Yes it was bad judgement but it was nothing really. No worse than me sliding round a roundabout.
tim

Post by tim »

Marv wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:04 pm Enjoy the new bike, Tim 😎

How many miles did you put on your old one?
15,700 in 16 months
tim

Post by tim »

I was going to post some photos of my beast but apparently that's not the done thing anymore, so here's some pictures of my new bike instead :)

Half way to the 600 mile 1st service already :)
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

At some point Tim will purchase a couch with a 3.0V6 and 2 wheels.

Never a bike I’d like to own but I’d love to do a road trip on one, something very Germanic and efficient about them.

Dave!
Last edited by V8Granite on Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I’ll be honest, they do absolutely nothing for me. In fact, I’d rather have a Harley. But Tim’s happy, And that’s all that matters when he’s spending his own money.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

NotoriousREV wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:45 am I’ll be honest, they do absolutely nothing for me. In fact, I’d rather have a Harley. But Tim’s happy, And that’s all that matters when he’s spending his own money.
All of that 👍🏼 well except the Harley part.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

JLv3.0 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:50 am
NotoriousREV wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:45 am I’ll be honest, they do absolutely nothing for me. In fact, I’d rather have a Harley. But Tim’s happy, And that’s all that matters when he’s spending his own money.
All of that 👍🏼 well except the Harley part.
Just so we’re clear, I’d rather have genital warts than a Harley.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Ah so you really do dislike the RT then!
tim

Post by tim »

My mate is just buying an Indian Scout, must admit I do like them. Maybe a Harley is a step too far.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Very smart Tim.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I decided to have a look at the electrical problems on my track Gixxer 750. I haven't started it in over a year, so I figured I'd probably have to charge it, but checked the battery voltage anyway. 12.6v. It started 1st push of the button and ran nicely. I wasn't expecting that.

Checking the regulated charging voltage at the battery, it was 12.5v at idle, 11.9v at 5000 rpm (I think it was 5000rpm, the clocks are in a box somewhere) so that's the reg/rec fried.

Stage 2 of the check is to measure the unregulated charge from the stator, which is supposed to be >64V AC between each of the 3 wires (1-2 1-3 and 2-3). It was 7. So that's the stator knackered too.

I've confirmed my oil leak is from the oil cooler heat exchanger gasket, so I need to get the exhaust off, which looks like it's been fitted for about 300 years to the Titanic. I'd better buy a job lot of penetrating fluid.

I'm also halfway through replacing the steering head bearings that don't want to come out.

I think I'll give up on it until spring.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:07 pm
Sell it :lol:

I bought a genuine comfort gel seat for the gsxr the other day - it arrived this morning and is absolutely mint - really good buy.

Does it fit? Does it fuck :lol:
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Broccers wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:23 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:07 pm
Sell it :lol:
It's worth fuck all. I'll get it ready for track day season next year now that I know I can go to Three Sisters in Wigan for £12 per 10 minute session a couple of time a month. Doesn't seem worth shelling out £250 for it to sit in the garage for another 6 months.
Middle-aged Dirtbag