Post by IanF »

Looking more likely that they are out there. :ugeek:

https://news.sky.com/story/k2-18b-water ... e-11806755
Cheers,

Ian
DeskJockey

Re: Little green aliens

Post by DeskJockey »

IanF wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:13 pm Looking more likely that they are out there. :ugeek:

https://news.sky.com/story/k2-18b-water ... e-11806755
If there are aliens on that planet they'll be squat and stout. 8x earth's mass will mean a rather heavy life
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Let’s be honest it’ll just be a stupid single celled organism which will be a let down after all these years of expecting little green monsters.
How about not having a sig at all?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Let’s hope they don’t get eaten by a small dog...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Love this story, can't wait for those next gen space telescopes to go up.
Mito Man wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:00 pm Let’s be honest it’ll just be a stupid single celled organism which will be a let down after all these years of expecting little green monsters.
No doubt they detected this one because of its size, but there will be thousands or even millions more earth like worlds out there... there are after all hundreds of billions of systems in our galaxy and hundreds of billions of galaxies in our universe.

The biggest challenge with finding the actual little green men is probably that creatures like us are usually around for pretty short periods in galactic terms (at least in our experience).

If anyone is interested in this stuff, I emplore you to read Five Billion Years of Solitude.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

It’s pretty much a certainty that life is out there.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Simon

Post by Simon »

Of course there is. If there's a billion trillion stars in the observable universe (source) then the odds of there _not_ being life out there is near impossible I'd say.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Exactly. It's not a belief in bleepy bloopy little green men - it's the sheer, unbelievably overwhelming mathematical odds against us being the only life forms in such an unbelievably vast collection of planets.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Indeed. Probably won't find some properly interesting life in our lifetimes though, although I hope they find some at least just to shut up all the people who believe otherwise.

The thing is, water is hugely abundant in our solar system, so it wouldn't be surprising to learn that it is in many other places.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

duncs500 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:25 am Indeed. Probably won't find some properly interesting life in our lifetimes though, although I hope they find some at least just to shut up all the people who believe otherwise.
Let's keep Brexit out of this thread please Duncs.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Do you think Leavers are the same group that don't think life exists off our planet? Probably a lot of crossover in the two groups. If they don't like foreign humans, I wonder how they will feel about aliens?! :lol:
Beany

Post by Beany »

duncs500 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:19 am Love this story, can't wait for those next gen space telescopes to go up.
Mito Man wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:00 pm Let’s be honest it’ll just be a stupid single celled organism which will be a let down after all these years of expecting little green monsters.
No doubt they detected this one because of its size, but there will be thousands or even millions more earth like worlds out there... there are after all hundreds of billions of systems in our galaxy and hundreds of billions of galaxies in our universe.

The biggest challenge with finding the actual little green men is probably that creatures like us are usually around for pretty short periods in galactic terms (at least in our experience).

If anyone is interested in this stuff, I emplore you to read Five Billion Years of Solitude.
As an easier starter, a read on the Fermi Paradox is well worth it (it's literally what Duncs is referring to, and I'm sure he knows it)

Wiki to Cliki
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:32 pm Let’s hope they don’t get eaten by a small dog...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!
Banal Vapid Platitudes
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Cheers,

Ian
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

8-)

You ever seen anything out of the ordinary up in the skies Ian?
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

He won't answer - too busy releasing the chemtrails 😂
mik

Post by mik »

I picture Ian as Captain Oveur. “Have you ever seen a grown man naked?”

and

Dr. Rumack: Captain, these passengers don't have much time. How soon can we land?
Oveur: I can't tell.
Dr. Rumack: You can tell me, I'm a doctor.
Oveur: What I mean is, I don't know.
Dr. Rumack: Well can't you take a guess?
Oveur: ...Not for another two hours.
Dr. Rumack: You can't take a guess for another two hours?
Oveur: No what I'm saying is we can't land for another two hours.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Proper, hearty lolz there Mik 😂😂

Edit - although can you please edit it to read 'ever seen a green man naked' :lol:
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I saw this on Twitter where it was reported as "US Navy confirmed Blink 182 star's UFO video is genuine". I did one of those proper, exaggerated double takes, the like of which you'll only see in an old Carry On movie. Upon looking in to it, its not exactly as reported, but pretty interesting all the same.
Cheers,

Mike.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Ascender wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:37 pm
I saw this on Twitter where it was reported as "US Navy confirmed Blink 182 star's UFO video is genuine". I did one of those proper, exaggerated double takes, the like of which you'll only see in an old Carry On movie. Upon looking in to it, its not exactly as reported, but pretty interesting all the same.
Same, I'm guessing advanced cruise missile or something.