New iPhones

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Re: New iPhones

Post by Ascender »

People are keeping their phones for longer and longer though. They're all coming along with new features here and there, but there's nothing revolutionary really, I'm not sure what that next big leap will be. Main reason for upgrading for me are the improved cameras, although a lot of that is now being done in the software to compensate for the limitations due to the size of the devices.

I'd consider switching away from Apple if there was something amazing in the Android world, but nothing's blown me away whenever I see it. Now they've sorted their synching out and seamless handoff between all devices I'm kind of happy to stick with it.

Native usb-c would be nice, but the usb-c to lightning cables have been around for a while and its meant I can travel with just one charger now. You can imagine the outcry from joe public should they get rid of lightning! Bound to happen sooner than later though.
Cheers,

Mike.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Ascender wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:59 am Native usb-c would be nice, but the usb-c to lightning cables have been around for a while and its meant I can travel with just one charger now. You can imagine the outcry from joe public should they get rid of lightning! Bound to happen sooner than later though.
”Apple change their chargers ALL THE TIME though, don’t they?” is something I hear often at work

No Karen, no they don’t. They used those old 30 pin connectors for like 10 years, and then the current one was introduced in 2012...
Simon

Post by Simon »

And then they moved to USB-C on the iPad Pro (which they should've done for everything as soon as the MBP went USB-C).
The artist formerly known as _Who_
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

My procedure for dealing with the calamity that is a change in charger interface / outlet:

1. Oh look my new phone takes y instead of x.
2. Count up charging devices (z)
3. Buy z amount of converters x->y.
4. Acquire currency, fornicate with human females, disregard the constabulary.

Just one of many ways in which the trifling matters that seem to utterly kybosh the inadequates amongst us doesn't even cause me to break stride :lol:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

JL is, not for the first time, fully correct.

(Although I can only assume #4 is correct. I can only claim knowledge of one of those... :lol: )
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
dan

Post by dan »

JLv3.0 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:05 pm My procedure for dealing with the calamity that is a change in charger interface / outlet:

1. Oh look my new phone takes y instead of x.
2. Count up charging devices (z)
3. Buy z amount of converters x->y.
4. Acquire currency, fornicate with human females, disregard the constabulary.

Just one of many ways in which the trifling matters that seem to utterly kybosh the inadequates amongst us doesn't even cause me to break stride :lol:
If only they’d package a charger with the phone none of this would be a problem.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Maybe one day Dan.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

They should come up with some clever ways of phones to communicate with other devices without cables.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Maybe one day Rich.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

I picked up an 11 Pro yesterday morning. Oh my word it’s a massive step up from a 7 so far. Still yet to charge it!
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I decided to get an IPhone XR as my 7 decided to not recognise my Sim.

The loss of a button hasn’t annoyed like I thought it would and it is much faster than the 7. Quite pleased at the minute.

What kind of wireless charger is good for IPhones ? To prolong battery life is a lower wattage charger best or doesn’t it matter anymore ?

Dave!
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I don't think it matters about chargers and charging habits anymore. In fact, does iOS 13 not learn your charging habits and adapt accordingly to prolong battery life - i.e. if its plugged in all night, it will charge to 80% then stop charging and finish off just in time for your normal wakeup time?
Cheers,

Mike.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yep, it’s fucking annoying when you wake up earlier than normal.
How about not having a sig at all?
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

I’m enjoying getting to this time of the day and not having to look for a charger because my phone has died, I’ve still got 57% battery left!
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Simon

Post by Simon »

Swiped a new iPhone 7 from our IT guy as my 6 is no longer a supported device, therefore it gets binned.

Am I doing this right?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Simon wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:37 pm Swiped a new iPhone 7 from our IT guy as my 6 is no longer a supported device, therefore it gets binned.

Am I doing this right?
have you checked with your OH? She forms your opinion of phones by the sounds of it!
Simon

Post by Simon »

Rich B wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:45 pm
Simon wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:37 pm Swiped a new iPhone 7 from our IT guy as my 6 is no longer a supported device, therefore it gets binned.

Am I doing this right?
have you checked with your OH? She forms your opinion of phones by the sounds of it!
I'm ordering her a new XR in the morning as her 7 is broken. She wants to move away from Apple but then I pointed out that she has an iPad, iPods etc etc so it wouldn't make sense.. I'm tentatively holding out for a Pixel 4 XL for my personal phone but if the leaked pricing is right that may go on the back burner for a while.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I’m now charging my phone about every 3 days which is nice.

Much faster and now all my apps are set to facial recognition it’s far slicker.

The biggest upgrade I’ve had I think since getting a smart phone.

Dave!
Mr Pish
Currently Driving: Model 3 Performance

Post by Mr Pish »

I was surprised how super fast and ‘snappy’ the pro max is over the X but apart from that it doesn’t really feel any different apart from being physically bigger and heavier.

What a ball ache it is setting up logins and Face ID on dozens of apps, must have taken me 2 hours ...
Join us, join the Teslarati!
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

V8Granite wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:34 am What kind of wireless charger is good for IPhones ? To prolong battery life is a lower wattage charger best or doesn’t it matter anymore ?

Dave!
I got one from Ikea, purely because it’s designed to fit into furniture- it’s drilled into my bedside table so it sits nice and flush