The Motorbikerist Thread

McSwede

Re: The Motorbikerist Thread

Post by McSwede »

I saw this lovely thing this morning. Lots of trick bits and a lovely Turbot!

NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

McSwede wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:54 pm I saw this lovely thing this morning. Lots of trick bits and a lovely Turbot!

Nice. Suzuki Katana. These are super cool but starting to attract proper money. The best ones have a pop-up headlight. Eighties-tastic.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Another example of me clearly not understanding what makes a bike good looking there...
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Rich B wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:02 pm Another example of me clearly not understanding what makes a bike good looking there...
Oh, it’s not good looking. But it is awesome.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:27 pm
Rich B wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:02 pm Another example of me clearly not understanding what makes a bike good looking there...
Oh, it’s not good looking. But it is awesome.
👍🏻
evostick

Post by evostick »

I don't think KTM have ever made a good looking bike. It's a lot of cash fer a bike Dave. I don't read any bike stuff these days, what's supposed to be special about it?
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

evostick wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 6:49 am I don't think KTM have ever made a good looking bike.
Not even the RC8?

evostick

Post by evostick »

I like it and it's undoubtedly striking but I wouldn't call it good looking. As you probably know, they had a rapid expansion into big bikes after many years of concentrating on dirt bikes. They got their bikes FUCKING NOTICED alright with all the angry lines and orange paint and whilst I certainly appreciate the fact that they exist (I even bought one, the only bike I've ever bought new), I don't think that I could ever really, really love one. But what the fuck do I know anyway. I currently want to buy an XJR1300, with carbs preferably.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Must admit the orange scaffolding doesn't really suit a sports bike but still a good-looking thing. They go like the fucking clappers as well :lol:
evostick

Post by evostick »

They do indeed. One of the things that separates KTMs from the Jap bikes is that whilst the Japs were toning it down a bit, emphasising safety features and trying not to cause offence, KTM were making their bikes as aggro as possible, using the tag line 'Ready to Race' and making adverts which displayed cunts doing wheelies through town centres.

It was something of a breath of fresh air.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

evostick wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 6:49 am I don't think KTM have ever made a good looking bike. It's a lot of cash fer a bike Dave. I don't read any bike stuff these days, what's supposed to be special about it?
It’s a genuine all-rounder, but instead of being OK at doing everything, it’s actually awesome at doing everything: touring, knee down stuff, commuting etc.

I still haven’t fully decided. It is a lot for a bike.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Different machine and nothing like the visual appeal but my mate bloody raves about S1000XRs - reckons they're the perfect bike for normal, real life. Worth a go?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

JLv3.0 wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 8:27 am Different machine and nothing like the visual appeal but my mate bloody raves about S1000XRs - reckons they're the perfect bike for normal, real life. Worth a go?
I don't really like the super-tall adventure bike look.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
evostick

Post by evostick »

NotoriousREV wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 8:23 am
evostick wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 6:49 am I don't think KTM have ever made a good looking bike. It's a lot of cash fer a bike Dave. I don't read any bike stuff these days, what's supposed to be special about it?
It’s a genuine all-rounder, but instead of being OK at doing everything, it’s actually awesome at doing everything: touring, knee down stuff, commuting etc.

I still haven’t fully decided. It is a lot for a bike.
Sounds good and plausible if they've managed to get the ergonomics/weather protection spot on.

I rode a standard Superduke when they first came out and it was a twitchy little thing. It tried to highside me on a very familiar bend. It was also, like a lot of KTMs, impossible to ride sedately and you certainly wouldn't want to tour on the thing. Tank range was <100 too IIRC. I guess they're very different now.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Ergos were spot on, more comfortable than my BMW (although it did have the comfort seats fitted) and it was happy enough at low speed. It didn't feel like it was always waiting to be let of the leash. Very docile and manageable, all the weight is carried low down. Fuelling felt spot on, to my fists of ham.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
evostick

Post by evostick »

NotoriousREV wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:42 pm Ergos were spot on, more comfortable than my BMW (although it did have the comfort seats fitted) and it was happy enough at low speed. It didn't feel like it was always waiting to be let of the leash. Very docile and manageable, all the weight is carried low down. Fuelling felt spot on, to my fists of ham.
Sounds great. You've got me looking at them now.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Definitely blag a go on one, that motor is a fucking stonker.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I may as well whore my track day Instagram pics on here as well as everywhere else.

Middle-aged Dirtbag
Marv

Post by Marv »

😎👍
Oui, je suis un motard.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

When I opened the garage this morning, there was a pool of oil under my GSXR. Balls.
Middle-aged Dirtbag